Martinez enters transfer portal

Unfortunately, they were their own worst enemies to each other. I think Frost mixed business with personal and that inhibited him from being able to provide accountability tied to qb play in games on the team. The main issue here in my opinion is the fact that Scott Frost couldn't develop, or improve skills for a qb. Basic mechanic improvements and reads that didn't require any athleticism.  Too many times Martinez didn't have the ability to read the field and threw when he should have run on the option. A good stat to investigate would be rushes per game per year to analyze. On the pass option I felt he passed way too much according to the reads and defensive play. On the run option, I felt he didn't hand it off a lot on plays to get the most yardage, he chose to run it himself. I don't know about you but if my qb was making that many mistakes and what not, he would be running 15 mile sprints a day. He would get benched to be EMBARRASSED of his PLAY. If I was a qb, I would be going all Michael Jordan and getting people to work with me on throwing passes from dawn to night. I would be analyzing tape everyday to look at my bad reads and not REPEAT the same mistakes. I think the problem is they came into this marriage together, and they couldn't give critical criticism to each other when it was needed. Not having QB development coaches to be able to help a qb for 4 years develop, when your head coach was a qb; is a TRAVESTY for a program. Stats are not development. IMHO. I think that Frost will get Spencer Rattler because Rattler wants revenge against Oklahoma, and we play them next year. Scott Frost wants redemption for his decision making as a coach, so they both want the same thing. It could turn into a program defining moment to be honest. #ImGettingMyPopcorn #YesMartinezIsAClassActToo #ChangeIsGood 

kool-aid-oh-yeah.gif

• Oh Yeah! 1

AM is a class act.  Wish his time here had several more wins.  I hope the best for him and will cheer for him at his next stop.  

Am I the only one that saw some potential with Smothers?  I really liked how he ran some of those options and he has speed to burn.  He needs to improve on his throwing and his inexperienced mistakes.  

I am really curious to see the new OL coach because our OL has to improve. The guys we have recruited were not lightly recruited but they have not performed well and they need development.  This to me is the main thing to fix the offense.  The OL must improve and have some games where we put lesser opponents away.  And they must be good enough to give us chances to beat some bigger dogs.  

What about bringing in Charlie Brewer?  Brewer is the QB next year while Smothers gets another year to get better and is used in certain packages.  This seems safe to me and gets us to 7 wins.  

5 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Am I the only one that saw some potential with Smothers?  I really liked how he ran some of those options and he has speed to burn.  He needs to improve on his throwing and his inexperienced mistakes.  

No, I liked a lot of what I saw for a guy making his first start against one of the best defenses in the country. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'm going to be honest I'm not sure I understand your point and I don't want to misrepresent it.  Are you saying you don't believe Adrian has made some or all of those mistakes in the same game before?

I often have no point. It's part of my charm.

Every QB makes multiple mistakes in games. And Adrian made his fair share. Everyone here harps on Adrian about the ones on final drives or that cost us games. Logan makes every mistake Adrian made that "cost us games", but over the corse of a half. Arguably costing us the game. Nobody bats an eye...

The point is this team blows on the OL and special teams. I think QB play has been adequate enough for us to have a winning season. We should be able to overcome mistakes and not have to ask our QBs to lead game winning/tying drives every game. Yes there's one or two games where Adrian put us in a really bad spot, but more often than not he brought us back to be in position to win those games. He was a good college QB, and this team and coaches failed him.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
31 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Every QB makes multiple mistakes in games. And Adrian made his fair share. Everyone here harps on Adrian about the ones on final drives or that cost us games. Logan makes every mistake Adrian made that "cost us games", but over the corse of a half. Arguably costing us the game. Nobody bats an eye...

Definitely cost us the game.    I don't think it's that ambiguous.  Giveaways reduce your chances of winning significantly.   Especially that late in the game.

I think the reason you're feeling nobody is batting an eye is because in one game it's unfortunate to see.   In dozens of games over 4 years it can become exhausting to watch.

31 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The point is this team blows on the OL and special teams. I think QB play has been adequate enough for us to have a winning season. We should be able to overcome mistakes and not have to ask our QBs to lead game winning/tying drives every game. Yes there's one or two games where Adrian put us in a really bad spot, but more often than not he brought us back to be in position to win those games. He was a good college QB, and this team and coaches failed him.

I think we probably disagree how many times Martinez has game-killing plays, but I have to agree his teammates and coaches in particular have failed him.

Good college QB?  Sure.  Good enough to carry a team?  No.  He's not that guy.  Frost tried desperately for 4 years to make him that guy, and that wasn't fair to him.

If we made an honest attempt at getting Vokelek and Allen and Yant more involved in the offense, and gave Martinez more of a point guard role within the offense I have to believe we would have finished better than 3-9. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Definitely cost us the game.    I don't think it's that ambiguous.  Giveaways reduce your chances of winning significantly.   Especially the late in the game.  

I think the reason you're feeling nobody is batting an eye is because in one game it's unfortunate to see.   In dozens of games over 4 years it can become exhausting to watch.

I think we probably disagree how many times Martinez has game-killing plays, but I have to agree his teammates and coaches in particular have failed him.

Good college QB?  Sure.  Good enough to carry a team?  No.  He's not that guy.  Frost tried desperately for 4 years to make him that guy, and that wasn't fair to him.

If we made an honest attempt at getting Vokelek and Allen and Yant more involved in the offense, and gave Martinez more of a point guard role within the offense I have to believe we would have finished better than 3-9. 

Austin Allen set the single season record for TE yardage he was involved plenty. Vokelek was also utilized well. It really comes down to OL and RB play as the two missing pieces.

I just disagree with you're take on Adrian. If you support him with a better cast he becomes better too. Not saying he is as talented, but look who Mariota had around him and what his OL did for him. Then see what happened to him in the pros.

Adrian has the skillet to take a team to conference championship games if he has a supporting cast as well. You don't just play top 25 teams down to the wire everytime with a s#!tty QB.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Austin Allen set the single season record for TE yardage he was involved plenty. Vokelek was also utilized well. It really comes down to OL and RB play as the two missing pieces.

I just disagree with you're take on Adrian if you support him with a better cast he becomes better too. Not saying he is as talented, but look who Mariota had around him and what his OL did for him. Then see what happened to him in the pros.

Adrian has the skillet to take a team to conference championship games if he has a supporting cast as well. You don't just play top 25 teams down to the wire everytime with a s#!tty QB.

I really hope he lands somewhere with all the aforementioned and an actual P5 QB coach 

• Plus1 2