Martinez enters transfer portal

8 minutes ago, theknife said:

I really hope he lands somewhere with all the aforementioned and an actual P5 QB coach 

If he can play next year on a decent team, it will be interesting to see what changes.  I know you can't make major changes to technique...etc.  But, it will be interesting to see how different he plays with a different QB coach.

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Austin Allen set the single season record for TE yardage he was involved plenty. Vokelek was also utilized well. It really comes down to OL and RB play as the two missing pieces.

Allen has 3 career TDs.   To me it's insane to try to spin it like he hasn't been severely underutilized.  Absolute insanity. 

600 yards is fine, but it's nowhere close to the peak of his potential.

39 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Adrian has the skillet to take a team to conference championship games if he has a supporting cast as well.

Seems far fetched to me but luckily we'll be able to test this theory next season.

• Plus1 3

To be a great player, which is what the AM backers contend essentially, a guy needs to make numerous great plays and lots of good plays and very rare costly mistakes.  He also needs to be one that tends to make others look better as well.  
AM is a good player - not great.  We really had many great players in a long long time.  It takes great plays to win big games and lots of good plays to win the typical non-big games.  
Under Frost, nearly all our games have become must win games cause we have won so few.  
if we don’t have difference makers (great players essentially), then games come down to special teams errors and basic fundamentals such as tackling, blocking, etc and officiating calls/penalties, and scheming and coaching items.  Injuries and weather can be substantial factors as well.    Finally, plain old luck.  

We’ve had all of the above factor in to nearly every game over Frost to some extent.  It seems that Husker magic has been mostly negative voodoo it seems.  On the bright side, many of the tangible things are slowly getting better, imo. 
Frost can’t control luck, officiating and the weather.   The team has almost never, imo, failed to play hard throughout nearly every game.   Confidence seems to be fairly good although there may be an element of fatalism that is creeping in as the close losses pile up.   
not sure Adrian lacks confidence except he does seem to play tight and get anxious in the crunch times.  He’s had plenty of chances and based on the numerous times he has faced do or die drives late in games, something is just not quite right as at some point, successful outcomes ought to happen as matter of chance.  

i think it would have helped the team and maybe even Adrian if he could have had a reliable backup to step in in cases where he was hurt or game circumstances would have warranted a change up.  Just as baseball pitchers need relievers to save them.  

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, BoSolich said:

i will be shocked if frost finds a qb that can run his offense better than a 5th year martinez.

i'm going to make a bold prediction and say next year will be frost's final year.

I think both of these are reasonable takes. It is difficult to feel objectively good about a four year starter leaving the program, even one as polarizing as AM. There's a greater probability of Nebraska's new QB not performing as well as AM than performing better.

As for Frost's long term prospects at Nebraska, perhaps his biggest criticism right now is his apparent inability to coach up and develop his talent. He's basically being asked to make his biggest weakness his greatest strength in 2022. Otherwise, this team isn't winning many games. If he gets to 9 wins next year after all they're losing then I think he'd be a CotY candidate. I don't think that's going to happen, though.

And with the word just out that Trev had to cancel his trip to Indianapolis for meetings ahead of the B1G championship game to put out the fires in Lincoln between HCSF and departing player(s?) which apparently turned contentious.

This is a very bad look from and about the last thing this program needs.

And the hits just keep on coming.:bang

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

And with the word just out that Trev had to cancel his trip to Indianapolis for meetings ahead of the B1G championship game to put out the fires in Lincoln between HCSF and departing player(s?) which apparently turned contentious.

This is a very bad look from and about the last thing this program needs.

And the hits just keep on coming.:bang

I am not sure this what everyone is making it out to be. On USC today, they mentioned that it was reported that 2AM demanded SF guarantee that he would be the starter again and to guarantee a transfer QB wouldn’t be brought in. If that is the case, I could see that conversation getting a bit contentious and I don’t blame SF for holding his ground. Below is the link to the segment. 

Edit, Relevant part starts at 11:10:

USC discusses 2AM exit meeting with SF

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think both of these are reasonable takes. It is difficult to feel objectively good about a four year starter leaving the program, even one as polarizing as AM. There's a greater probability of Nebraska's new QB not performing as well as AM than performing better.

As for Frost's long term prospects at Nebraska, perhaps his biggest criticism right now is his apparent inability to coach up and develop his talent. He's basically being asked to make his biggest weakness his greatest strength in 2022. Otherwise, this team isn't winning many games. If he gets to 9 wins next year after all they're losing then I think he'd be a CotY candidate. I don't think that's going to happen, though.

The four year starter could not get his turnover issues under control.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
2 hours ago, caveman99 said:

I am not sure this what everyone is making it out to be. On USC today, they mentioned that it was reported that 2AM demanded SF guarantee that he would be the starter again and to guarantee a transfer QB wouldn’t be brought in. If that is the case, I could see that conversation getting a bit contentious and I don’t blame SF for holding his ground. Below is the link to the segment. 

Edit, Relevant part starts at 11:10:

USC discusses 2AM exit meeting with SF

Wonder how much of that is 2AM needing to be the starter for NLI?   The reason one of Ohio State's QB is leaving is because he has a $1M+ NLI but it is contingent on him starting a certain amount of games next year.  He asked for that, Day told him no, so he's transferring out.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, ZRod said:

Every QB makes multiple mistakes in games. And Adrian made his fair share. Everyone here harps on Adrian about the ones on final drives or that cost us games. Logan makes every mistake Adrian made that "cost us games", but over the corse of a half. Arguably costing us the game. Nobody bats an eye...

I still say if Adrian Martinez had executed the exact same plays against Iowa, we'd have called it a typical Adrian Martinez game. Good and bad.

Point being, I don't think Adrian Martinez coming back for a fifth season would have significantly improved our chances over starting Logan Smothers, who presumably will improve over his first start as a freshman. 

I think a lot of people batter their eyes at the Iowa game.

But remember how perfectly the table had been set? Adrian Martinez sets the career total yardage record the game before, then steps aside for Logan Smothers for the season finale. Smothers puts together a potent mix of running and passing as Nebraska goes up 21 - 6 against the hated (and ranked) Iowa Hawkeyes and their supposedly top shelf defense as Memorial Stadium goes wild, basking in the hope that had been missing all season. 

Then about 5 minutes of awfulness that infected offense, defense, and special team, as it has for most of the Scott Frost era. 

Imagine no blocked punt. Nebraska holds on for a narrow win. It's a different mood around this place, even with a 4-8 season. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Someone truly has it out for Frost IMO. Maybe the ghost of LP lives inside North Stadium, but crap like this and the nonstory "practice infractions" are getting leaked to screw with him. 

Interesting bookends the season with hit pieces like this. Additionally, I believe both happened to leak on a Friday to ensure th fan base got good and worked up over the weekend. 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I still say if Adrian Martinez had executed the exact same plays against Iowa, we'd have called it a typical Adrian Martinez game. Good and bad.

Point being, I don't think Adrian Martinez coming back for a fifth season would have significantly improved our chances over starting Logan Smothers, who presumably will improve over his first start as a freshman. 

I think a lot of people batter their eyes at the Iowa game.

But remember how perfectly the table had been set? Adrian Martinez sets the career total yardage record the game before, then steps aside for Logan Smothers for the season finale. Smothers puts together a potent mix of running and passing as Nebraska goes up 21 - 6 against the hated (and ranked) Iowa Hawkeyes and their supposedly top shelf defense as Memorial Stadium goes wild, basking in the hope that had been missing all season. 

Then about 5 minutes of awfulness that infected offense, defense, and special team, as it has for most of the Scott Frost era. 

Imagine no blocked punt. Nebraska holds on for a narrow win. It's a different mood around this place, even with a 4-8 season. 

We also had a safety, fumble, and pick by the QB that cost us scoring chances or gave Iowa points.

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

So Adrian walked because he wasn't handed the starting job. 

Loser's mentality. 

Perhaps it's no small coincidence he just happens to be the losingest QB in school history. 

I know, I know.  His erratic play was everyone's fault but his.  Calm down.

Or do we really trust anything Mitch writes? Sounds pretty out of character for Adrian.

9 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Someone truly has it out for Frost IMO. Maybe the ghost of LP lives inside North Stadium, but crap like this and the nonstory "practice infractions" are getting leaked to screw with him. 

Interesting bookends the season with hit pieces like this. Additionally, I believe both happened to leak on a Friday to ensure th fan base got good and worked up over the weekend. 

I'm out in California. Maybe I've been reading the wrong threads. But over the year I've heard smatterings of rumors about Scott's private life that may be affecting his coaching or general attitude, but I'm hazy on the specifics and sources.

A lot of rumor is trash. Sometimes it isn't. Maybe it is our business, given Scott's particular job, salary and performance, 

There are trolls, and then there are people who see s#!t happening that doesn't match the public relations narrative. I wouldn't dismiss everything as hit jobs and non-stories, given the amount of smoke around the program since Moos left town. 

• Fire 1