Martinez enters transfer portal

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We also had a safety, fumble, and pick by the QB that cost us scoring chances or gave Iowa points.

A QB that could just as easily been Adrian Martinez.  Do you think that Iowa game would have been considered out of character if Adrian Martinez had played great for most of the game, and made three crucial mistakes in crunch time? 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

A QB that could just as easily been Adrian Martinez.  Do you think that Iowa game would have been considered out of character if Adrian Martinez had played great for most of the game, and made three crucial mistakes in crunch time? 

It was the second half with a decent lead, not really crunch time. One of those mistakes in the final minutes would have been pure Adrian, not all of them in a half. I'd also think he would have gotten us a passing TD and a few more passing yards.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It was the second half with a decent lead, not really crunch time. One of those mistakes in the final minutes would have been pure Adrian, not all of them in a half. I'd also think he would have gotten us a passing TD and a few more passing yards.

But how big is the gap between four year starter Adrian Martinez and freshman Logan Smothers, making his first start against a defense that led the NCAA in forced turnovers?  

The reason I brought up the blocked punt is because you, me, and the tv announcers all saw the game flip instantly, as the possibility of losing yet again got into every Nebraska player's head, not just Logan Smothers'. And then the game got away from them, much as it did in 8 of the games Adrian Martinez started. 

I'm not trying to make a point beyond the possibility that a 2022 season might not be that different if either QB was the starter. 

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But how big is the gap between four year starter Adrian Martinez and freshman Logan Smothers, making his first start against a defense that led the NCAA in forced turnovers?  

The reason I brought up the blocked punt is because you, me, and the tv announcers all saw the game flip instantly, as the possibility of losing yet again got into every Nebraska player's head, not just Logan Smothers'. And then the game got away from them, much as it did in 8 of the games Adrian Martinez started. 

I'm not trying to make a point beyond the possibility that a 2022 season might not be that different if either QB was the starter. 

I mean, it's one game at the end of the season. Logan was probably the healthiest player on the field.

I guess we'll see next year how big the gap really was. Logan's best quality that trumps Adrian is his legs. Adrian was definitely the better passer though. All that said, I think right now Logan has the higher ceiling, and it's good he was able to sit and develop most of the year without getting beat up. I can't remember the last time a QB had that opportunity here.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2021 at 10:09 AM, Decked said:

Rumors going around saying he didn’t have much of a choice. Frost wanted to move on. 

From the sounds of it, Frost and Martinez went into the meeting with (generally) both wanting Martinez to return.  But there was discussion about the path forward (looking at the transfer market, who the OC/QB coach would be, etc.) and Martinez wanted a guarantee that we wouldn't bring in a transfer.  I don't know all Frost's reasons but if nothing else given Martinez's current medical condition and who might be hired as OC, Frost wasn't willing to give that guarantee.  So Martinez decided to move on.

So there is quite a bit of room on either side to place the blame for who did or did not want him coming back.  But it doesn't really sound like "Frost wanted to move on" is probably entirely accurate.  More like "Frost wanted options."

• Plus1 5
37 minutes ago, Mavric said:

From the sounds of it, Frost and Martinez went into the meeting with (generally) both wanting Martinez to return.  But there was discussion about the path forward (looking at the transfer market, who the OC/QB coach would be, etc.) and Martinez wanted a guarantee that we wouldn't bring in a transfer.  I don't know all Frost's reasons but if nothing else given Martinez's current medical condition and who might be hired as OC, Frost wasn't willing to give that guarantee.  So Martinez decided to move on.

So there is quite a bit of room on either side to place the blame for who did or did not want him coming back.  But it doesn't really sound like "Frost wanted to move on" is probably entirely accurate.  More like "Frost wanted options."

Winners invite competition.  Loyalty is earned not given,  Goes both ways.  Coach to players and players to coach.  I also wonder of Frost realized year 5 with AM would be no different than the previous 4.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Martinez has a really good chance to start at K State or at least get some serious playing time.  I think how well he comes back from the shoulder surgery could also play a part.  Skylar Thompson who was their starter this year and who had a pretty good year graduates.  Jake Rubley is sophomore 4 star QB who didn't play for them as a freshman.  Will Howard will be a Junior in 2022 and has the most experience.  Has thrown for over 1,500 yards and 9 touchdowns but has also thrown 11 interceptions.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:21 PM, Mavric said:

Martinez did NOT ask for a guarantee. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1