Offseason drama for Frost and departing players

Cdog923

9 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I completely disagree, he is a really good player. People need to get beyond snap gate, which he solved this year, and rewatch games to see just how good he really is.

By far the best olineman on the team. I'm struggling to think of a time where any Center had to go from being a center to being a tackle like Cam did multiple times during the back end of the year. He'd snap and then pull out to help the tackle/edge within 1 second on pretty much every pass play. I'd love for him to come back, but if he leaves, he leaves and it will be well earned and he will be hard to replace next year.

• Plus1 2

29 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

What's his grade? 6th round? Seems like he could go much higher with another year.

I read he had a 3-5 round grade.  If that's true he would be in good position.  If not,  you're right.

32 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Can could significantly improve his draft stock with another season and position coach upgrade.  

He could improve but he could also get injured, have to weigh risk and reward. If the grade above is true he shutoff be in a good spot.  If not,  I agree on waiting.  But Frost who is concerned for his job may not be the best source of advice for the young man.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Yup, easy to see how both of those conversations could get testy. Doesn’t mean there is a rift between SF and the players, not even with Jurgens or 2AM. Part of having a close relationship means having disagreements at times. 

I fully understand your point there may be disagreements at times. But to the extent that Alberts apparently cancels a trip to put out fires and babysit those involved?  I say this fully understanding he may have had other reasons i.e. finalizing staff additions. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, runningblind said:

I read he had a 3-5 round grade.  If that's true he would be in good position.  If not,  you're right.

He could improve but he could also get injured, have to weigh risk and reward. If the grade above is true he shutoff be in a good spot.  If not,  I agree on waiting.  But Frost who is concerned for his job may not be the best source of advice for the young man.

New scheme (hopefully), perhaps new techniques, new QB, new staff, possibly losing your only center who has played since Frost was coach (IIRC), no Thomas, possibly no Daniels and losing the other seniors on D and Toure, next season is looking rough....

FWIW, some are calling Mitch a questionable guy, but I've been hearing since this morning that Benning has been saying the same thing, almost word for word, albeit I don't think it was on his show (yet). So that's two sources, it seems, unless Sherman heard it from Benning.

Also, supposedly one thing that Frost didn't like was that Cam is a Nebraska kid (like Frost) bailing on Nebraska. It sounded like Frost was kinda guilt tripping him about that.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Knothole Seats @ 50 Cents said:

I fully understand your point there may be disagreements at times. But to the extent that Alberts apparently cancels a trip to put out fires and babysit those involved?  I say this fully understanding he may have had other reasons i.e. finalizing staff additions. 

Could be, but it also could be Trev being overly cautious to ensure nothing details SF’s efforts to try and turn around the program. If a player such as Jurgens were to start to bad mouth SF publicly because of a disagreement that would be a bad look, especially after SF has been his biggest supporter. I could see Trev wanting to ensure that the situation wasn’t about to blow up. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, lo country said:

New scheme (hopefully), perhaps new techniques, new QB, new staff, possibly losing your only center who has played since Frost was coach (IIRC), no Thomas, possibly no Daniels and losing the other seniors on D and Toure, next season is looking rough....

you dont remember correctly. cam redshirted frost's first year. farniok was the center that year. he was also cam's backup in games even though the other farniok was listed as the backup.

3 minutes ago, desertshox said:

you dont remember correctly. cam redshirted frost's first year. farniok was the center that year. he was also cam's backup in games even though the other farniok was listed as the backup.

My bad.  Losing the only center to have started the past 3 years.  With little to no development of  a back up.  We are in a bind next year.  

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I thought Will started then left.  Caused some issues with the guys to include Matt IIRC.

matt moved to guard to make room for cam. he didnt leave until after his senior season. will was basically told bye that same year. (maybe not the best way to phrase that given what is going on.)

54 minutes ago, Farms said:

Sure he can. How did that work out for Will Honas though? Cam comes from a very blue-collar family. You just have to understand that the opportunity to make a million dollars to some kids is just too hard to pass up. And you’re just getting to your second contract sooner if you work out. And if not you can probably still make enough money to make the rest of your life a hell of a lot easier. 

Good points.  Injuries are always a risk.  I don’t blame him if that’s the route he chooses.  I just think there’s some more untapped potential a good OL coach can help bring out.  He’s a great athlete.  I could see 1st or 2nd round possibly vs 3rd or 4th.  With a new OC who’s presumably going to get more control of the O, it can’t  hurt him to get some exposure to a different system too.  Whatever he decides, I hope it is for the best.