Offseason drama for Frost and departing players

Cdog923

I have issues with Frost - since before he was hired as one of the few it seems- but I think he is making some extremely hard decisions with the interests of the entire team, staff and program in mind.  He is not alone of course but he is earning those big bucks if high stress and pressure are the measure.  

This is the most important, watershed type time in many many years (ever?) for Nebraska athletics as a whole.  Not every step will be easy nor perfect.  Yet, I have an outsiders’ hunch that in the end it will work out for the best, whatever that may be.  

Life isn’t always a happy ending fairy tale.  Over the hundred years of football,  there have been many great times, great experiences and so on. But many players, coaches and fans have certainly had some bad experiences.  In balance, we all need to be thankful and keep the faith!   Good times will return.  lol 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I didn’t take time to read entire thread so I am positive this has been addressed. Peterson looking for media attention. They discussed this on 1620….who troll the program more than anyone. AM wanted assurances that we would not bring in portal guy and he would start. SF would not gauarantee it. He’ll both announcers agreed with SF. Nothing to see here

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Wow. 

read page one, then eight,  so if I maybe I missed something in between. 

Adrian is the only one that we truly didn’t know. Maybe Jurgens, but WTH with all the drama? 

and IF Adrian did have that meeting with Frost and make demands, then so what? I can see his point at this stage of his career and I can see Frost’s point in saying  move on. 

• Haha 1

Someone truly has it out for Frost IMO. Maybe the ghost of LP lives inside North Stadium, but crap like this and the nonstory "practice infractions" are getting leaked to screw with him. 

Interesting bookends the season with hit pieces like this. Additionally, I believe both happened to leak on a Friday to ensure th fan base got good and worked up over the weekend. 

Also note, it was leaked to steal the thunder from the first bit of good news Nebraska has had in a while with Joseph coming on board.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, bisonwiches said:

I’m sorry, but Mitch is known for stirring the pot as much as Dirk, so this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. 

If Adrian asked for no competition, then shame on him. Frost and Mario afforded him that luxury and it didn’t work. Competition breeds excellence…Remember when Like performed quite well and the fan base was split, AM started and any time we needed a spark or somethingLuke was thrown in… this hurt both Martinez, because it solidified that his performance was acceptable to be the starter and Luke because consistent reps/experience is what he needed to become better.

On to Cam… I love the guy’s fire and willingness to switch positions for the betterment of the team, but he was given a leash longer than anyones (including Martinez) during his first couple years because Frost saw his raw talent and knew he could be special or had the potential to be… 

Mitch can eat s#!te because the only reason you release a vague pile of hot garbage like he did is to get a rise out of people or cause hurt… he’s trash

This is so right. +1 this.

And rumor is that Cam came to Frost telling him he was going to the NFL. Frost told him he disagreed and that Cam could use another year that way he was was project rounds 1-3 and not 3-5. Oh man, what a shame that Frost did that. Such a contentious conversation that Mitch Sherman better write a whole vague story on. What did you want Frost to do? Not say a word with losing his starting center when he stuck by Cam when his snapping issues were obvious and Frosts’ job is now on the line in the upcoming year? Don’t fault Frost at all for trying to convince Cam to stay. 

The Adrian rumor above is what I heard. If true, I don’t blame Frost one bit.

So, again, this is Mitch Sherman making a mountain out of a mole hill. Without giving any specifics and hiding behind “sources” so that he can say he wasn’t the one to make it a big deal. That guy is just here for the drama…like the Athletic, in general, when it comes to Nebraska. Look back at last year and the Athletics coverage of SEC and other conferences. God forbid Nebraska wants to play football, when they are covering all of those other conferences at the same time.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, Toe said:

FWIW, some are calling Mitch a questionable guy, but I've been hearing since this morning that Benning has been saying the same thing, almost word for word, albeit I don't think it was on his show (yet).

Damon Benning has even less credibility than Mitch Sherman.

Mitch Sherman is a very poor excuse for a journalist. Decent writer, awful journalist.

As far as the 'drama', there is no drama; there's only unsubstantiated rumors of drama. I'm sure there's something there, but nothing to be worked up about based on what we know now.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, caveman99 said:

I completely disagree, he is a really good player. People need to get beyond snap gate, which he solved this year, and rewatch games to see just how good he really is.

He’s one of the best o-lineman in the country, and it was completely overshadowed by the hot garbage right next to him. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

Cam was 3rd team all conf.   Not bad from where he was 2 years ago.   Still, I think Frost gave him good advice.   Stay one more year, earn all Big ten  1st team and get into the 3rd round.   Get better with another coach to add new or diff techs etc.  

He may need some film showing his snap and so on under center and also his adaptability to new offensive schemes and line calls etc.  

Maybe he opts to come back if draft things don’t go well.  ?   I believe he can.  

It really is not good for his NFL hopes to get in a fight with his college coach whose recommendations are very helpful.   It may be different if he had been good for 4 years in big ten play. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

When our offensive line faced guys at NFL quality, they got squashed. That's all any of them should know about going to the draft and not worry about what someone is telling them.

Someone made a good point that perhaps Trev stayed behind to discuss potential hirings.

Is every unhappy athlete is going to run to Trev? How many ran to Eichorst.....I'm guessing none

5 hours ago, Vince R. said:

He’s one of the best o-lineman in the country, and it was completely overshadowed by the hot garbage right next to him. 

Jurgens is progressing well.

But he's not even considered the best center in the conference.  He's not 1st team all B1G or a Remington finalist 

So if Frost gave him advice to stay another season, that sounds like good advice.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Jurgens is progressing well.

But he's not even considered the best center in the conference.  He's not 1st team all B1G or a Remington finalist 

So if Frost gave him advice to stay another season, that sounds like good advice.

I get what you are saying, but being All Big Ten or a Remington Finalist doesn't do a whole lot for centers in the draft. Their ceilings are usually 2nd round, and most of them are drafted in the 3rd to 4th round.

If Cam is getting a 3rd-4th round projection, he's not going to improve that a ton by coming back. If Frost is mad at Cam for wanting to go pro, then Frost is being an a$$ about it.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get what you are saying, but being All Big Ten or a Remington Finalist doesn't do a whole lot for centers in the draft. Their ceilings are usually 2nd round, and most of them are drafted in the 3rd to 4th round.

If Cam is getting a 3rd-4th round projection, he's not going to improve that a ton by coming back. If Frost is mad at Cam for wanting to go pro, then Frost is being an a$$ about it.

It means that any centers better than Jurgens will be picked ahead of him......so 3rd or 4th round is not guaranteed.

Alberts will be able to give Jurgens sound advice as well.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I read it is about 1 center every other year or so that goes first round.  Linderbaum at Iowa will be a first rounder and he will be an All American.  Cam is going to test off the charts and could move up from that grade, if he really got a 3-5 grade. I agree that he probably isn't moving up a ton.

Frost claiming he's bailing on the team or bailing on Nebraska (rumors just like all of this) is silly.  If true, don't put your failures on individual kids and them making decisions for their own future.  Frost is the one letting Nebraska down, not Cam whether he stays or goes. 

• Plus1 1