How To Improve the OL Immediately

BIG ERN

I said since day 1 that Nash Hutmacher needed to play OL...he reminded me a lot of Linderbaum from Iowa who started on the DL. Similar body types, both were great wrestlers, and both don't have much of a wingspan. I think he would have started this year. 

Teddy

Hutmacher

Jurgens

Nouili

Turner 

Potential to also move Turner inside and Benhart start at RT. With the right OL coach all these kids can improve. There is size and talent to work with and I always felt Greg Austin was the weakest assistant coach we had. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Jurgens was leaving I thought? 

He hasn't publicly declared yet, so I guess there's still a chance he'll stay, but I think it's pretty much an open secret that he intends to leave.

Hopefully with a new OL coach coming in, he'll evaluate with Tuioti and get the right bodies in the right places and then coach them up. 

Moving Nash to OL leaves a glaring hole at MG on D.  Does a guy like Piper fit there then? Or does Piper get fixed on the O-line with a new coach and Nash stay on D?  Lack of depth on both lines is looming over the 2022 season.

On 12/4/2021 at 12:31 PM, Scarlet said:

Moving Nash to OL leaves a glaring hole at MG on D.

One way or another, we've gotta find a replacement for Daniels. I think a lot of people don't really grasp just how critical that is for next year...

• Thanks 2
On 12/4/2021 at 10:31 AM, Scarlet said:

Hopefully with a new OL coach coming in, he'll evaluate with Tuioti and get the right bodies in the right places and then coach them up. 

Moving Nash to OL leaves a glaring hole at MG on D.  Does a guy like Piper fit there then? Or does Piper get fixed on the O-line with a new coach and Nash stay on D?  Lack of depth on both lines is looming over the 2022 season.

Just now, Toe said:

One way or another, we've gotta find a replacement for Daniels. I think a lot of people don't really grasp just how critical that is for next year...

I fully agree we need a true nose but Nash ain't it.  He could help us at guard and could end up being very good there.

3 hours ago, Toe said:

He had a really nice season.  And I'd love to have another player like him.

But he also played fewer than half of the snaps.  Which means we were still doing quite a few good things on defense even when he wasn't in there.

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, runningblind said:

I fully agree we need a true nose but Nash ain't it.  He could help us at guard and could end up being very good there.

I'm amazed at the number of folks already throwing Nash under the bus in terms of playing NG. Dude was a true frosh seeing his first meaningful reps going against top-tier O-line. That's a pretty tough situation. 

• Plus1 3