How To Improve the OL Immediately

BIG ERN

6 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Nash may be a more natural O-line prospect, but if the Jurgens experiment has taught us nothing, it's taught us not to count on position switch player immediately.  So, I'm gonna have to adamantly disagree with OP, and add I think Lutovsky is going to be a beast.  

But, if it's taught us nothing, then we didn't learn that.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

That is what I have been unable to figure out all year.  We were actually making steady progress on the OL for Frost's first three years.  Yes, people loved to bash on Jurgens for snapping issues but other than that we were definitely headed in the right direction.  And we had three Top 100 OTs that were (more or less) ready to contribute, even if still young.

And then it completely fell apart this year.

And I have no idea why or how.

To me, it seems like it all started when Corcoran got hurt in fall camp. They tried plugging Banks in at the last minute, but he was getting his a$$ kicked by Illinois, so they rushed Turner back before he was ready. From there, it was a comedy of shifting guys around, dealing with injuries, and trying to plug holes, and never really reaching a point of stability.

This is why I was saying that the failure to build a pipeline is probably the biggest problem of all. There is no next man up. One thread coming loose has been enough to make the whole thing unravel. Sometimes it's a guy getting injured, sometimes it's guys leaving the team. Departures and injuries are always going to happen, and every time it's happened in the Frost era, we've been comically unprepared for it.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Toe said:

This is why I was saying that the failure to build a pipeline is probably the biggest problem of all. There is no next man up. One thread coming loose has been enough to make the whole thing unravel. Sometimes it's a guy getting injured, sometimes it's guys leaving the team. Departures and injuries are always going to happen, and every time it's happened in the Frost era, we've been comically unprepared for it.

That's because we had nothing for Tackles working up through the system when he got here - Jaimes was there but nothing in development.  Literally everyone else was either moved to guard or never played.  

We recruited a Top 100 tackle for three straight years.  That hadn't happened since ... ever?  Obviously that hasn't translated to the field but but injuries to Teddy and Corcoran haven't helped.  And when you have no depth to start with you can't afford injuries.

• Plus1 2

From Wikipedia

Mark John Whipple (born April 1, 1957) is an American football coach who is the current offensive coordinator of the University of Nebraska. Previously he served as offensive coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh until 2021. Whipple was the head football coach at University of New Haven from 1988 to 1993, Brown University from 1994 to 1997, and stints as the University of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass), from 1998 to 2003 and 2014 to 2018. His 1998 UMass team won the NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship. He was the quarterbacks coach for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL) in 2011 and 2012. Before joining the Browns in January 2011, Whipple worked for two seasons as the offensive coordinator at the University of Miami. He previously coached in the NFL, working as a quarterback coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2004 to 2006 and as an offensive assistant coach with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2007 and 2008. On January 14, 2014, Whipple returned to UMass as head coach.[1]