Coaching Carousel Pt 2 - Who succeeds? - Poll

TGHusker

Coach POll  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have watched some major coaching changes over the past few weeks.  I thought I'd conduct a quick poll on who you think was the best hire for the school - Be careful --remember a few years back, the whole nation thought Frost to Nebraska was the very best 'match made in football heaven'. We know how that has turned out <_<

Beyond match, who do you think will succeed in the long term at their new school. Who will be the most successful?   I'm not defining success at a certain # of NC but rather, the ability to win their conference and be in the discussions for a NC.. 

While there will be many HC changes, this is the list of the headline coaching changes that I want us to consider: 

Florida -  Napier   (From Louisiana)

LSU -  Brian Kelly  (From Norte Dame)

Miami - Cristobal (from Oregon) Assumption here that he takes the Miami job.  Former Miami player.  Miami has given him a deadline to accept or decline. 

Norte Dame: Marcus Freeman (Promoted from within)

Oklahoma - B Venables  (DC at Clemson)

USC   -  Riley   (from OU)

• Plus1 1

My take:  Norte Dame has the best fit by promoting their DC to HC.  It will insure continuality and he was able to retain most of the staff if not all.  It seems many didn't want to go wt Kelly to LSU.  Tells us something about Kelly.  

I think Riley at USC will have the most success.  He is in a recruiting hot bed, far less competition for talent than if he was in the SEC and his offense will fly in the low defense PAC 12. Long term, I think he will be the most successful. 

I added a question: who will be this year's flop.   I think it will be Kelly.  He will find out that the SEC is a meat grinder and he doesn't seem to be the type of coach to be successful there.  

Depends on what you mean by "long term".  I think Venables will win a lot of games at OU....until they get to the SEC where the competition is a lot tougher.  I don't think the SEC is as dominating as ESPN wants you to believe.  But, the competition will be much tougher than the Big 12.  The interesting thing will be when Saban retires and what happens with the program at that point.  I don't think Kelly is going to be as successful as LSU fans want.  I still think the biggest flop is going to be Riley.

I could see where Miami, USC, LSU and OU are all looking for new coaches in 5-6 years.

So, I've settled on:

long term: Freeman

Best fit: Venables

Flop: Riley

New Florida Gators coach Billy Napier plans to hire 'unprecedented' support staff

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- New Florida coach Billy Napier plans to hire an "unprecedented" support staff, he said Sunday.

Napier had close to 40 analysts at Louisiana-Lafayette and could end up with even more in Gainesville. In addition to a $7.5 million annual budget for 10 assistants, Napier got a $5 million pool to build a support staff that includes analysts.

WTF? 

• Plus1 1

I think that Riley will have the best long term success because the Pac 12 is weak.

Venables is the best fit and I almost put him having the best long term success. I don't think he'll have trouble getting top tier recruits, he will greatly improve their defense and if he can keep their offense humming at a decent pace, then he will be very competitive in the SEC. 

I think Napier will bust at Florida. I was torn between him and Kelly, but I think Kelly will be decently successful just not up to LSU's crazy standard. Napier will be ousted in 2 years.

Brian Kelly's fake southern accent is one of the greatest things to come out of the coaching carousel in a long time. I still haven't been able to finish the video as I cringe too hard. It's amazing.

With that said, I think Napier is one of the best coaches that have been hired so far in this carousel, and if Florida gives him some space he can have a lot of success.

Marcus Freeman is the best fit as it's continuity. Seems like a tried and true players coach. I hate ND, but good for him.

I hope Kelly and that fake southern accent flop. I also think he has the highest chance to flop given the severe culture shock he's in for. With that said he's won everywhere he's been. 

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Depends on what you mean by "long term".  I think Venables will win a lot of games at OU....until they get to the SEC where the competition is a lot tougher.  I don't think the SEC is as dominating as ESPN wants you to believe.  But, the competition will be much tougher than the Big 12.  The interesting thing will be when Saban retires and what happens with the program at that point.  I don't think Kelly is going to be as successful as LSU fans want.  I still think the biggest flop is going to be Riley.

I could see where Miami, USC, LSU and OU are all looking for new coaches in 5-6 years.

So, I've settled on:

long term: Freeman

Best fit: Venables

Flop: Riley

Long term - 5+ years.   I agree Venables is a good fit for OU.  But it may be similar to Frost fit wt N.  I picked Freeman because he is already there and no big changes will be made.  Venables is also a good fit as OU goes into the SEC - they need a strong defensive minded coach in that conference.  His OC pick will be huge as well.  Bama proved that it isn't just great Ds that win the SEC.  

Went with Cristobal for #1 and #2. He'll likely be given the longest leash and he IS their culture (I know it hasn't worked out for NU). 

Chose Venables for #3. Don't really know if he'll be a successful HC, and of the list of schools, OU currently has the highest expectations based on 20 years of consistent top-10 success. 

To me, the best fit and the best long term success are the same.  I went with Lincoln Riley.  The Pac 12 is a mess especially with Oregon losing their coach.  Lincoln Riley's arrival in the Pac 12 is similar to Urban Meyer's arrival in the B1G.  If there was ever a conference for the taking, it is the Pac 12.  

The biggest flop will be Venables at OU, and it more than likely will not even be his fault.  First of all, I've got to think his leash will be extremely short.  He was already ran out on a rail in Norman once, and the OU faithful won't give him much time.  Second, he will lead OU into the SEC where both winning and recruiting more than likely get a lot tougher.  

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

He’s a douche. I can tell you that.

:lol: I'll take your word for it!

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly don't understand why a football team needs 40 analysts.  What in the world do they all do?

Right? And that was at Louisiana-Lafayette. He's going to have more at Florida