Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

Just now, BaytownHusker said:

Maybe not the big name splash I was looking for but If Frost puts the offense and play calling in his hands I wont mind. I think the play calling will improve now just need to see the scheme he wants. 

I'm excited that we have an OC with a lot of experience with play calling and coaching QBs.

Like others have speculated, I don't think the scheme is going to be a wholesale change.  Whipple will bring his wrinkles though.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bigred_inSD said:

How does Whipple do on the recruiting trail? I get Joseph is an all star but he cant do it alone.   Will Frost still head out?

Why wouldn't Frost head out on the recruiting trail?  He needs to be out there as much as he can.

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

Sounds like Whipple may be calling plays?

That was the play all along.  I don't get why this is hard for people to comprehend.  The new OC would be the play caller on game days, allowing Frost to have more of a CEO role.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why wouldn't Frost head out on the recruiting trail?  He needs to be out there as much as he can.

That was the play all along.  I don't get why this is hard for people to comprehend.  The new OC would be the play caller on game days, allowing Frost to have more of a CEO role.

I agree that having a play caller other than Frost is important, but there was speculation Frost may still want to call the plays. This is a HUGE step if Frost let's go of play calling as this was one of the reasons for many of our close losses.  In the Iowa game when we had built a 21-6 lead, we were having success running the ball and then Frost suddenly abandoned the run the rest of the game.  It will be important to have a seasoned play caller than understands the flow of each game adapts the play calling to that opponent.

5 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

How does Whipple do on the recruiting trail? I get Joseph is an all star but he cant do it alone.   Will Frost still head out?

He's got great hand writing. 

Dear Recruit,

Sincerely,

MW

Plus it's always nice to get something in the mail other than bills

Quote from his Wiki

In his first stint as coach of UMass from 1998 to 2003,[3] he won the NCAA Division I-AA national title in his first season at the school.[3] His UMass teams rewrote the record books, setting more than 40 team records. In 1998 his national championship team posted school records in points scored (524), touchdowns (73), total yards (7,074), passing yards (4,050), completions (306), and first downs (354).

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

What matters in terms of whether or not he's a good recruiter is whether he has any pull to grab a QB out of the portal for next year.

We either have a winning season next year or the whole staff probably gets fired. So it's about what he can do to get this offense to put the ball in the end zone next year.

Whether or not he's a good high school recruiter is one of the last concerns on my mind at this point.

I don't think this staff comes in for a one and done myself.  

Whipple has definitely been around.  He's had success also.  

Was Ben Roethlisberger's coach his rookie season when he was the first rookie quarterback ever to go 13-0 as a starter, an NFL record.  Went 48-27 as Head Coach at Div 2 New Haven.  Won the I-AA National Championship his rookie head coaching year at Umass as mentioned above.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3