Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

I watched a lot of Pitt this year I think what we are hoping for is a marriage of Frost scheming players into space and whipple being able to get easy completions with route concepts. This might be the best chance frost has to succeed we weren’t gonna attract another legitimate QB any other way. Frost has been getting better with his hires each time he has to and this’ll definitely give him more time to focus on STs. We are going to have some good momentum once a few dominoes fall in recruiting/portal then add a weak schedule next year its looking good 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You do realize Iowa adjusted defense significantly basically forcing us to pass?  Of course Scott would have continued to stay run heavy had Iowa stayed with the same defense from the first half.

You do realize we came out in the 3rd quarter and continued to run the ball well and scored a TD. You are telling me Iowa made halftime adjustments but wanted to wait and let us score again running the ball before them employed those adjustments?

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

What are you talking about?

Our first drive of the 3rd quarter went:

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Run

Touchdown

Our next drive went run, pass, pass, punt blocked for a touchdown.

Our play selection from that point forward was:

Pass

Run

Run

Run (Logan Fumble on option)

Pass

Pass (Safety)

Pass

Pass

Run

Punt

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

When exactly did Iowa change their defense and start successfully stopping the run before we stopped trying to run?  

Using facts is sometimes looked down upon in here.

Nice post!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

What are you talking about?

Our first drive of the 3rd quarter went:

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Run

Touchdown

Our next drive went run, pass, pass, punt blocked for a touchdown.

Our play selection from that point forward was:

Pass

Run

Run

Run (Logan Fumble on option)

Pass

Pass (Safety)

Pass

Pass

Run

Punt

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

When exactly did Iowa change their defense and start successfully stopping the run before we stopped trying to run?  

After that first drive in the third, they loaded the box for the majority of plays the rest of the game.  Watch the film.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

There were a few games this year where the offense was doing well and then Frost suddenly abandoned what was working.  One example was the game against Iowa where Nebraska built up a 21-6 lead with over 80% run plays.  Iowa was unable to find a solution to our run and had we kept that up, we would have likely won the game.  Instead, after going up 21-6, Frost called 65% pass plays the remainder of the game and only 35% runs.  I am hopeful that Whipple's experience as a play caller will help give us the best chance to win games.

That was a good Iowa game plan, especially for a first time freshman starter, but I recall Smothers passing plenty in that first half -- going something like 12 - 15 for 140 yards. No idea where you're grabbing that 80% number. And for the record, Nebraska averaged 3.0 yards a carry that game. Passing and running complemented each other, but we were never running over Iowa.  

As others have pointed out, Frost, and for that matter Riley and Pelini, rarely went away from what was working. Defenses made the proper adjustments, and those things stopped working, regardless of our fond first quarter memories. Late game numbers, after penalties, turnovers, and special teams bungles suddenly have you playing from behind, tend to skew towards passing.

Playcalling itself hasn't been the culprit in these team-wide meltdowns. In Scott Frost's mind, every game is supposed to unfold like Northwestern.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Playcalling itself hasn't been the culprit in these team-wide meltdowns. In Scott Frost's mind, every game is supposed to unfold like Northwestern.

THIS - we have had some untimely mistakes for sure but the overall situational skills and attention to detail have to be better at the top. 

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Frost, and every Nebraska fan. 

So what do you do differently when your offensive line doesn't block well?

It seems like the people who have a problem with play calling are the ones that think the one and only solution is to run the ball 65%+ times per game.

I'll bet that this stat will come as a big surprise to this crowd of people that think this way: Iowa ran the ball 54.03% of the time this season. We ran it 55.44% of the time.

We've had three main problems on offense since 2019, and not running it enough in general isn't one of them:

1. Turnovers.

2. Penalties.

3. Not using power well enough inside the 10 yard line.

#3 on that list is sort of in the same area code as play calling, maybe.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
49 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That was a good Iowa game plan, especially for a first time freshman starter, but I recall Smothers passing plenty in that first half -- going something like 12 - 15 for 140 yards. No idea where you're grabbing that 80% number. And for the record, Nebraska averaged 3.0 yards a carry that game. Passing and running complemented each other, but we were never running over Iowa.  

As others have pointed out, Frost, and for that matter Riley and Pelini, rarely went away from what was working. Defenses made the proper adjustments, and those things stopped working, regardless of our fond first quarter memories. Late game numbers, after penalties, turnovers, and special teams bungles suddenly have you playing from behind, tend to skew towards passing.

After the game I went back through the play by play and compiled the number of runs and passes.  You are welcome to look at it here, but it was an extremely high percentage of runs that we completed in the first half and our first possession of the second half where we took a 21-6.  After our first possession in the 2nd half is when the run/pass ratio flipped and we significantly dropped the number of runs.  

Doing the quick math, we passed the ball 5 times in the first half vs Iowa and ran the ball 26 times which would equate to 84% runs and 16% passes.  Please help me understand if I am not reading this data correctly.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=401282761

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

After the game I went back through the play by play and compiled the number of runs and passes.

Just want to make your life much easier for next time: You can instantly get the numbers by clicking on the 'Box Score' heading on ESPN's site. 

It'll give you the totals for rushing and passing.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Just want to make your life much easier for next time: You can instantly get the numbers by clicking on the 'Box Score' heading on ESPN's site. 

It'll give you the totals for rushing and passing.

Yes I am aware it does the aggregate for the full game but could not find the breakdown by half.  Can you help me find where it breaks it down by half?