Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Right. And usually the eyeball test makes it pretty obvious when guys don't know where to be after they go into a pre-set motion, run the wrong routes, etc. That really wasn't our problem this year.

We just had so many drives die because of false starts and also just not getting good push on the offensive line that allowed 1st & 2nd downs to either move the chains or setup a 3rd & short.

Now there are admittedly a couple games where Martinez's accuracy being off cost us pretty big (Illinois, Purdue, and then the 2nd INT against Wisconsin).

But by and large I am honestly going to be pretty bummed if Frost's scheme & playbook is completely overhauled. I think if you put a guy in that has the arm ability of even someone like Tanner Morgan at Minnesota we could actually be the 2017 UCF offense. We weren't far off from doing what they did that year in terms of scheme - we just didn't execute the plays.

Maybe that's where @M.A. might say "Well see - just dumb it down a bit." Again, I'll take anything that gets us out of the rut we're in.   :)

I just see Scott as a highly creative. Elaborate scheming is great if you can execute it. Some of it's players for sure. Mostly it's O-line play and quarterbacking issues. You work with what you've got though. It's probably a combination. Maybe I'm not seeing it quite as accurately as I think I am.

There's a mental aspect to it too. Not converting when we need to at critical junctures. There's always going to be some of that. We're not good enough to overcome these kinds of mistakes. I think that we need to learn how to get smacked in the mouth then smack back anyway undeterred when it happens because, it will happen. And the thinking has to come around to that we WILL respond confident that we can. 

A little bit of this, a little bit of that and add in the special teams play it's not a recipe for success. In some ways, I do think we are close though the last stretch of the mountain is pretty steep. I'm hoping that what we've been doing isn't abandoned altogether too.That's really not necessary nor do I expect it will be. I don't see why it can't or won't be incorporated in. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If Whipple can incorporate a few plays a game for him outside the edge in the running game, I feel like we'll see his true ability.  Because those screen passes in space were exciting.  He can be a big chunk player like Warrick Dunn as an example (although not as special, because Dunn was amazing inside and outside)

• Fire 1