Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

Good interview with Thompson.  Talked about looking at Whip’s offense.  Highest passing amount last year was like 55-60 in one game.  The least amount was 28.  Said he wants to assure fans he knows how to run the option.  talked with AM and Tim Beck to get their incite on NU.  

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nebraska-too-good-to-turn-down-for-qb-transfer-casey-thompson

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

52 minutes ago, runningblind said:

But don't you know that all of our offensive issues were on Adrian Martinez?! We still gained 450 ypg solely because of the OL and not because we had an escape artist at QB...

Not sure if you are tongue in cheek here since I didn’t see a “sarcasm “ emoji. AM gained a lot of yards on his own but it seemed we had issues many times getting the running backs positive yards in the red zone. I’m hoping that improves.

26 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Not sure if you are tongue in cheek here since I didn’t see a “sarcasm “ emoji. AM gained a lot of yards on his own but it seemed we had issues many times getting the running backs positive yards in the red zone. I’m hoping that improves.

It was sarcasm, forgot the emoji.  I fully agree with you. The red zone comes down to more than just the QB on his own. 

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting oped by Pernell on the choice of Mark Whipple as our OC.     Long and short, he sees how successful Whipple was with Pitt this last year but kind of feels, long term that Whipple was more MEH - average.    He does give Whip kudos for being able to bring both Thompson and Purdy into the fold and expects him to improve their play.

Pernell wonders out loud if Whip's pass first offense can be successful in the Big 10 - stating only OSU has been successful at it and because they have a stable of 5 and 4 star players who can execute it.  

As a whole, I probably have a more favorable take than Pernell does.  Maybe because I compare him to what we had previously - I see him as a big upgrade.  

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/jeremy-pernell-will-mark-whipple-offense-click-in-the-big-ten

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

I think that guy wrote another piece yesterday with the same questioning slant about Raiola as our new OL coach.  

Edit:  Yes he did

Scott Frost Rolling the Dice with Raiola

Pernell: Frost Rolling the Dice With Raiola

Yes, the day before he did Joseph - who he says was a great hire and has already had a tremendous impact - which I agree.   I think of all of the hires, Joseph is the biggest home run. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Kind of a sidebar from the conversation, but was interested after seeing that Casey talked with Tim Beck about NU before transferring.

It's a damn shame Beck had such a particular struggle pop up from time to time as an in-game playcaller. His offense was fun, inventive and the perfect modern reimagination of what made Nebraska Nebraska for so long. In the future I wouldn't at all be upset to see Beck come back as a Co-OC - he designs the offense and someone else with a better feel for flow and strategy calls the actual plays.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Kind of a sidebar from the conversation, but was interested after seeing that Casey talked with Tim Beck about NU before transferring.

It's a damn shame Beck had such a particular struggle pop up from time to time as an in-game playcaller. His offense was fun, inventive and the perfect modern reimagination of what made Nebraska Nebraska for so long. In the future I wouldn't at all be upset to see Beck come back as a Co-OC - he designs the offense and someone else with a better feel for flow and strategy calls the actual plays.

Beck's issue was never concepts, always in-game scenarios. 

6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Interesting oped by Pernell on the choice of Mark Whipple as our OC.     Long and short, he sees how successful Whipple was with Pitt this last year but kind of feels, long term that Whipple was more MEH - average.    He does give Whip kudos for being able to bring both Thompson and Purdy into the fold and expects him to improve their play.

Pernell wonders out loud if Whip's pass first offense can be successful in the Big 10 - stating only OSU has been successful at it and because they have a stable of 5 and 4 star players who can execute it.  

As a whole, I probably have a more favorable take than Pernell does.  Maybe because I compare him to what we had previously - I see him as a big upgrade.  

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/jeremy-pernell-will-mark-whipple-offense-click-in-the-big-ten

Jeremy Pernell likes Jeremy Pernell takes 

Past that?  Meh 

SI?  Really?.......

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Looking at what Beck did while at NU and what he has done elsewhere was and is pretty impressive.  I really think losing Carl and Marvin hurt Bo quite a bit.  I also think his rather inexperienced staff hurt him as well.  Not a lot of experience to bounce ideas off of or a deep well to drink from.  Even though Bo toted his share and then some of beat downs, I'd love to get some of those 9/10 win seasons back for sure.  TBH, I would have been very happy had he been offered the job as OC.

I agree with about Beck and his issues, it wasn't his scheme per se, but his in game adjustments or lack there of that really hurt.  Side note, while he was still at NU, I was eating at a local spot in NC and had on Husker T-shirt.  Girl behind the counter asks if I lived there/ was a fan and I said yes.  She said her uncle was a coach there and said it was Tim Beck.  I said next time you talk to him, please ask him to run more option.  She laughed and said she was sure a lot of people think that.  

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...