Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

He also was sour grapes when OC Matt Canada left years prior:

“I had an offensive coordinator—I won’t even mention his name—at Pitt. He spent eight months with me, left to take one of those big jobs for $1.2 million. I said ‘I don’t think you want to go’ and he’s like ‘well, it’s a lot of money.’ And I got him a lot of money, I got him a million at our place, so it’s like, maybe he went for $1.5, I got him a million which is just crazy, like are you s#!tting me? You know like really? I don’t even think he was worth a million, I mean he wasn’t even that good.”

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

He also was sour grapes when OC Matt Canada left years prior:

“I had an offensive coordinator—I won’t even mention his name—at Pitt. He spent eight months with me, left to take one of those big jobs for $1.2 million. I said ‘I don’t think you want to go’ and he’s like ‘well, it’s a lot of money.’ And I got him a lot of money, I got him a million at our place, so it’s like, maybe he went for $1.5, I got him a million which is just crazy, like are you s#!tting me? You know like really? I don’t even think he was worth a million, I mean he wasn’t even that good.”

What the heck is up with this guy?  Does he really think that these comments are going to make great OCs come work for him?

Now, I want us to have a good year, make it to a bowl game and play Pitt.  Then have Whipple's offense march up and down the field on his defense.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have the feeling Narduzi is exaggerating. 

But, I’ve never understood an OC that is an all run the ball or pass the ball guy. 

It takes both to be really good. 

Agree with this.

Last year Pitt had the players judged to be the best QB and best WR in the country.

With all that, they threw it 50.9% of the time (544 passes, 525 runs).  Probably called slightly more than that if you adjust for sacks but that's hardly the story he is trying to tell.

• Plus1 1

The thing with Narduzzi is that he's a former DC, so while his team won last year, Pitt may have not won in the "style" he preferred.  Narduzzi has traded Whipple - who liked an uptempo, passing style offense which ran a lot of plays, for BC's former OC who prefers a slower tempo with fewer plays, which will lead to lower scoring games.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The thing with Narduzzi is that he's a former DC, so while his team won last year, Pitt may have not won in the "style" he preferred.  Narduzzi has traded Whipple - who liked an uptempo, passing style offense which ran a lot of plays, for BC's former OC who prefers a slower tempo with fewer plays, which will lead to lower scoring games.

You can take the coach out the Big Ten, but you can't take the Big Ten out of the coach.

• Haha 3

Plus on top of throwing him underneath the bus he said that he felt better with the coaches this year coming up instead of last year. Bet you he isn't talking about how much better he is feeling about his players this year bc he knows he is in for a rude awaking with Kenny, Mark, and Jordan Addison not being there. Another question if you are going to say he was stubborn running the ball why didn't you as a coach not take over??? Oh wait I know why its bc you knew it was working and you don't mess with a good thing. Thanks Pat for being so salty good luck to Pitt and lets see how far you and the team get this year.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Big Red Viking said:

Let's wait until the season plays out before we crown Mr. Whipple King.

From my understanding nobody here has crowned him King. Its the fact that Husker Nation believe's we have a better chance at winning with his play calling. IMO Pat should have thanked Mark not throw shade at him or criticize him. It does nobody any good. Say your peace and be done.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1