Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

15 minutes ago, TheSker said:

"Diacomania"?

Are you Eichorstian?

43 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Remember Diacomania?  *shudders*

The program still hasn't recovered.

I've been looking for the strain since he left TBH.  Waldo is easy to find than the strain he spoke of.  We have swung and missed on quite a few pieces and parts over the years.

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

@suh_fan93 What, were you hoping that Frost would just check in and see how the offense is doing now and then while he's on his lunch break?

"FROST NEEDS TO BE THE HEAD COACH!!! HE CAN'T JUST BE FOCUSING ON THE OFFENSE ALL THE TIME AND IGNORING DEFENSE AND SPECIAL TEAMS!!! HE NEEDS TO WORK WITH THE DEFENSE AND SPECIAL TEAMS AND IGNORE THE OFFENSE!!!!"

• Plus1 1

I think the fans that believed Frost had too much involvement - or that his degree of involvement was the root of the issue - probably aren't seeing the pieces as the whole.

The problem really wasn't scheme. And I don't believe it was play calling either, really. It was execution.

"Execution" here can be the false starts, the unnecessary penalties by guys like Jurgens running downfield 20 yards and decking a guy for no reason, and turnovers. And then it was also insufficient run blocking inside the opponents' 50.

I don't think Frost's involvement was the root of those things, really.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Players and some coaches have mentioned that we are basically using Whipple's passing schemes mixed with Frost's running schemes and verbiage. This shouldn't come as a surprise. 

I don't think it matters. I think we could have kept Lubick on and had him call 100% of the plays and it would have been fine.

The O-line coaching needed vast improvement, and it seemed like QB coaching was really dropping off a cliff as well.

But just pointing it out for others: The offensives scheme or concepts aren't really going to eliminate turnovers, false starts, and poor blocking. We're talking about player development & game preparation more than anything.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2