Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

they also probably didn't have teams stacking the box daring Kenny P to throw the ball.  

Hugely underrated concept there, agreed.

It'll be really interesting to see how Northwestern's defense plays us in game one in that regard.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Hugely underrated concept there, agreed.

It'll be really interesting to see how Northwestern's defense plays us in game one in that regard.

I think if Trey Palmer is as fast as advertised that will help too.  If he can take the top off the defense, safeties won't be able to cheat up as much.  Toure was solid last year at getting open but I don't think he was quite that fast where guys had to give him room.  Oliver Martin remarked that he thought overall team speed has gone up not only in the WR room.  Get a couple burners out there and teams don't play so close to the line of scrimmage.  

• Plus1 2

I think it's also a matter of whether or not the defense respects our blocking. For example with the way our tackles struggled at many points during last season it's kind of a no brainer to bring pressure.

This clogs running lanes if you run any kind of delay handoff and makes it hard for a QB like Martinez to find guys if it's a pass play.

I know a lot of people are crowning Thompson as a savior in this area and I really hope that he is, but it's just pretty damn hard for your QB to find open guys when the pass blocking sucks. That has to change.

• Plus1 3
  • 3 weeks later...

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, I wonder who will be in the booth?

First game, new OC/QB coach, new QB, new play caller, Ireland, 36k fans...... I think Whipp on the sideline is the way to go. It may change in a few weeks.  The coaches up in the booth will be fine when Whipp calls them.  We should be OK :)

The fact that whip has been around a while and at this point you should have quality people in the booth.  OC's run plays to set up other plays.  So he should be smart enough to say hey whats the safety and backside corner doing on this play and have the guy in booth be able to tell him.  Then go accordingly.  Doesn't matter where he calls the plays.  Obviously Frost has been calling the plays from the sideline for years 

On 7/28/2022 at 11:28 AM, Undone said:

I think it's also a matter of whether or not the defense respects our blocking. For example with the way our tackles struggled at many points during last season it's kind of a no brainer to bring pressure.

This clogs running lanes if you run any kind of delay handoff and makes it hard for a QB like Martinez to find guys if it's a pass play.

I know a lot of people are crowning Thompson as a savior in this area and I really hope that he is, but it's just pretty damn hard for your QB to find open guys when the pass blocking sucks. That has to change.

Well hate to bring Martinez back into the conversation but he intended to over think a play regardless if the o-line was good at times or not. You have to think that the whole point of SF offense is  up tempo and thats something that has been lacking. To many times I watched Martinez hold on to the ball and get sacked instead of throwing the ball right away and fast or he would scramble and get scared and throw it into double coverage. You and i know that you have to be smart with the football and regardless if Martinez didn't get much help from the o-line he didn't make it any easier himself as well.

5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well since Whipple is on the sidelines and Mickey Joseph will be on the sidelines you got to think maybe Applewhite and Beckton will be up there. 

We also have analysts that could be quite helpful as spotters upstairs.  This game may be funky - this is a soccer stadium and I’m suspecting the booth areas may be further away. Vision may be changed.  ??   

I’d keep Beckton with Raiola to keep line in order.  Applewhite has a bunch of young ones in the backfield. He needs to be on the field too.   Joseph may be needed with his young guns too.   Maybe a Defense analyst as well.  

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We also have analysts that could be quite helpful as spotters upstairs.  This game may be funky - this is a soccer stadium and I’m suspecting the booth areas may be further away. Vision may be changed.  ??   

I’d keep Beckton with Raiola to keep line in order.  Applewhite has a bunch of young ones in the backfield. He needs to be on the field too.   Joseph may be needed with his young guns too.   Maybe a Defense analyst as well.  

I was thinking that but it was my believe that analysts can't take part in coaching or anything of that nature. It was my believe that they can help with the game planning before the actual game is played but nothing during the actual game is played. It would be nice if all the coaches were on the sidelines coaching but don't think that's going to be the reality of it.

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I was thinking that but it was my believe that analysts can't take part in coaching or anything of that nature. It was my believe that they can help with the game planning before the actual game is played but nothing during the actual game is played. It would be nice if all the coaches were on the sidelines coaching but don't think that's going to be the reality of it.

Well. Idk the rules but that sounds like the stupidity of NCAA rules.  Analysts are not allowed to analyze.  Lol.  There are no players in the booth though maybe the 3-4 QBs should be.  

6 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Well. Idk the rules but that sounds like the stupidity of NCAA rules.  Analysts are not allowed to analyze.  Lol.  There are no players in the booth though maybe the 3-4 QBs should be.  

I know they can analyze the game after by watching film with the coaches but I've never heard of analysts taking part within the actual game. I could be wrong on all this but you can only have a certain number of coaches on staff and analysts aren't exactly coaches even if they are.