Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The passing scheme will be different.  I also think that Whipple was brought in as much for his QB coaching than anything.  That could pay huge dividends.  

I'm excited for Whipple's pass offense with Frost's running offense.  One reason why I've never been a big fan of an OC that's known for passing is they tend to have a very vanilla run game.  There's no reason why you can't have creativity in both parts of the offense.

What particularly do you like about Frost’s running game?   Not being critical - just curious. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

Yeah, the reason was so Frost could save his own job.

Totally agree with this.

Red zone scoring was really where the disconnect was. In terms of points per game average, we actually ranked just ahead of Wisconsin (who was also ahead of Iowa).

We had decent ways of moving the ball downfield. Our lowest scoring game was 17 points against Ohio State. It was turnovers, penalties, missing field goals, and not quite enough of a push from the line in the running game once we got down to around the opponent's 35-20 yard line where we struggled. Or, f***...remember our RB tripping over a blade of grass on that 4th & goal on Minnesota's one yard line in the second half?

It wasn't scheme. I can't say that enough. It's not like with a different scheme/style the offensive line is suddenly blocking better, or running backs are suddenly just breaking long touchdown runs. And we didn't exactly have the right QB to just be gunning it down the field all the time.

Scheme & play calling-wise, we were actually pretty decent last year (all things considered).

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I like Whipple also because he's an older guy with experience. I always felt the staff was mostly younger coaches who were push-overs. The staff needed someone like Mickey and Whip to come in. I think things can start to click well going forward. Frost is still a good offensive mind. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Yeah, the reason was so Frost could save his own job.

Probably felt it was best to start fresh everywhere. I don’t blame him. Also wanted a guy to call plays so he could free it up which I’m not sure Lubick did. At least not all the time. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Decked said:

Probably felt it was best to start fresh everywhere. I don’t blame him. Also wanted a guy to call plays so he could free it up which I’m not sure Lubick did. At least not all the time. 

Kinda sounded like Frost would call the plays, and if he didn't start calling one Lubick would. Seemed a little janky - but I agree with Undone that I don't think playcalling was our problem. I think recruiting and diversifying the voices in the room are the main reasons Lubick is gone. 

Even aside from his year or whatever working in finance, Lubick seemed like a weird dude. Like do you really want a vegan coaching your football team? :P

Frost could have just turned control of the offense over to Lubick, but it seems clear that he didn't trust him for that job.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Toe said:

Even aside from his year or whatever working in finance, Lubick seemed like a weird dude. Like do you really want a vegan coaching your football team? :P

Frost could have just turned control of the offense over to Lubick, but it seems clear that he didn't trust him for that job.

I remember reading this, don't know why it stuck with me, but he wasn't vegan:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-football-hires-offensive-coordinator-Matt-Lubick-Scott-Frost-142390137/

"And so the man whose daily diet had long been eggs and oatmeal in the morning, and salads with chicken and hot sauce for lunch and dinner, held true to his word and ate a burger after Oregon whipped Arizona 51-13 in the Pac-12 title game that year."

• Plus1 3

I mean, look at all of our scoring plays against Michigan, one of the nastiest defenses we played, and tell me that Lubick or scheme were the problem.

We were only in that game because of exceptional scheming. Same for many others. 

I'm not sad to see Lubick go but I might end up being sad to see the philosophy of that offense go if that's how it turns out. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

I remember reading this, don't know why it stuck with me, but he wasn't vegan:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-football-hires-offensive-coordinator-Matt-Lubick-Scott-Frost-142390137/

"And so the man whose daily diet had long been eggs and oatmeal in the morning, and salads with chicken and hot sauce for lunch and dinner, held true to his word and ate a burger after Oregon whipped Arizona 51-13 in the Pac-12 title game that year."

Fair enough, I must have mis-remembered that article, or maybe somebody's post about it.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I mean, look at all of our scoring plays against Michigan, one of the nastiest defenses we played, and tell me that Lubick or scheme were the problem.

We were only in that game because of exceptional scheming. Same for many others. 

I'm not sad to see Lubick go but I might end up being sad to see the philosophy of that offense go if that's how it turns out. 

Yes.