Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

HOL guys hinting that Whipple might move to the booth or even not be back after the bye week due to health issues.  He was on a scooter at the team hotel with a boot on his foot and had to have a golf cart to take him on/off the field at Rutgers.

What happened to him??

The scuttlebutt is that he basically had to be begged to stay on after Frost was let go since he's already dealing with the medical issues.  Also some speculation that he may possibly resign after the Purdue game and they'll turn over the reigns to someone else during the bye week. Would be another blow to this team but it sounds like he's already missed some practices because of it.  At the very least it wouldn't surprise me to see him move up to the booth.  Given the situation I would imagine that they're prepping somebody to fill in for him regardless.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

HOL guys hinting that Whipple might move to the booth or even not be back after the bye week due to health issues.  He was on a scooter at the team hotel with a boot on his foot and had to have a golf cart to take him on/off the field at Rutgers.

If that's the case, you'd think he'd be sitting up in the booth during the game, not on the field.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, who would take over as OC?  If Mickey wasn't already HC, I would say him.  Does Applewhite have experience in this?  Beckton?

This is not good for the rest of the year.

Yea it would be too much to put on Mickey at this point.  Beckton could certainly be a possibility but my money would be on Steve Cooper, Senior Offensive Analyst. He's been here since 2018 and he's at least been an OC at his previous job at Portland State.  He's also probably much more involved with the play calling already than somebody like Beckton would be.  

8 minutes ago, Farms said:

Yea it would be too much to put on Mickey at this point.  Beckton could certainly be a possibility but my money would be on Steve Cooper, Senior Offensive Analyst. He's been here since 2018 and he's at least been an OC at his previous job at Portland State.  He's also probably much more involved with the play calling already than somebody like Beckton would be.  

That's interesting and I don't know anything about him.  But, he wouldn't have input in play calling.  That's not allowed.  He would have had input in game planning leading up to the game.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

That's interesting and I don't know anything about him.  But, he wouldn't have input in play calling.  That's not allowed.  He would have had input in game planning leading up to the game.

I was under the impression that an analyst could do anything except actually coach players.  I would assume somebody like Cooper is already in the booth and very involved with the offense during a game so he'd logically be a guy that could step in very easily.  It's hard to replace Whipple's years of coaching experience but I'd bet somebody like Cooper could come in and handle the duties fairly well.  I'd be more worried about it being another mental blow to a team that's already endured a lot particularly for the QB's who work so closely with Whipple.  

• Plus1 1