Jump to content

Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach


Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, lo country said:

Read some articles on him prior to the hiring.

Uses the personnel he has, not the ones he wants

 

Player said that he has about 200 plays that he introduced spring and fall.  Then throughout the season, he will add 10-12 new plays prior to each game that the defense has not scene.  Does a good job scouting opposing D's and pre-schemes with new plays.

 

Has a system and sticks with it.  Not trying to be the "next" thing.  

 

I am a little leery of the "pass first", but when you have a Heisman contender what would you do.  He's had good QB's at every stop.  He appears experienced enough that he will look at the B1G and design the O to work.  Not a square peg/round hole type of scheme.  I think we will have a definite scheme that will have ebb and flow.  That one play will actually set up another play. I don't think it'll be throw multiple things ideas and see what sticks.  And then never use it again.  I think this is a good of hire as we could get.  

 

A lot of next year seems to depend on a transfer QB who can execute Whipple's offense at a high level out of the gate.

 

Trying to pass 35+ times a game might not be the best strategy considering what we've lost on defense.  Those dudes are going to be on the field A LOT if we can't put drives together.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Perhaps I'm in the minority but Frost's play calling never registered as much of an issue with me, at least in terms of its weight contribution to a loss. There's certainly a rhythm and skill to playcalling, but I've long felt this team's problems came down to discipline and execution on any given play more so than the actual play call. He didn't get much heat for play calling at UCF. In fact, I remember hearing it was one of his greatest strengths.

 

Running the ball is a part of that. So many people seem to think he has a proclivity to abandon things like the run game, but when his line isn't doing their job and their backs aren't doing theirs, it's like... doesn't really matter what you call at that point.

 

But, I digress.

 

Whipple seems like a fairly solid hire overall. Great experience. Recent success. I just hope he can make the most out of this opportunity before time runs out. That's probably my biggest concern with all of the new hires at this point.

He didn't get heat for playcalling when he went 13-0 at UCF? No way! :lol:

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Undone said:


I look at the second half against Michigan, pretty much the entire Wisconsin game, the Northwestern game and I really believe that Frost’s playbook has been outstanding. 
 

What’s been lacking is execution and even halfway decent pass blocking. We’ve had a stupid number of drives killed by false starts and/or stupid penalties.

 

 

Completely agree.  And, when it stalled in the red zone, they couldn’t count on a field goal to put points on the board. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, Undone said:


I look at the second half against Michigan, pretty much the entire Wisconsin game, the Northwestern game and I really believe that Frost’s playbook has been outstanding. 
 

What’s been lacking is execution and even halfway decent pass blocking. We’ve had a stupid number of drives killed by false starts and/or stupid penalties.

 

 

2nd half of the Michigan game was brilliant. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Undone said:


I look at the second half against Michigan, pretty much the entire Wisconsin game, the Northwestern game and I really believe that Frost’s playbook has been outstanding. 
 

What’s been lacking is execution and even halfway decent pass blocking. We’ve had a stupid number of drives killed by false starts and/or stupid penalties.

 

 

 

I think the playbook was more diverse this year which is a positive, but the play calling (use of the playbook) was not great.  In my opinion a good play caller gets a feel for the flow of the game and finds what is working.  Sometimes what is working is continuing to do the same types of plays while in other games it will require a very balanced attack to keep the defense guessing.  There were a few games this year where the offense was doing well and then Frost suddenly abandoned what was working.  One example was the game against Iowa where Nebraska built up a 21-6 lead with over 80% run plays.  Iowa was unable to find a solution to our run and had we kept that up, we would have likely won the game.  Instead, after going up 21-6, Frost called 65% pass plays the remainder of the game and only 35% runs.  I am hopeful that Whipple's experience as a play caller will help give us the best chance to win games.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought the 2nd half of the Michigan game plan was brilliant, but then so many guys on this board thought the 1st half was too conservative. Play callers can't win with most fan bases. 

 

I agree that the 2nd half against Michigan was great and I don't believe anyone expects perfection, but we had dug ourselves into a hole with not so great play calling in the first half.  It's kind of a microcosm of this year's team where we had some really good moments but could not quite put together a full 60 minutes to win the game.  I am hoping the experience of Whipple will help us more consistently have a full 60 minutes of good play calling.  

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought the 2nd half of the Michigan game plan was brilliant, but then so many guys on this board thought the 1st half was too conservative. Play callers can't win with most fan bases. 


Well and how many times have people said “Frost can’t adjust at halftime.”

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

 

I think the playbook was more diverse this year which is a positive, but the play calling (use of the playbook) was not great.  In my opinion a good play caller gets a feel for the flow of the game and finds what is working.  Sometimes what is working is continuing to do the same types of plays while in other games it will require a very balanced attack to keep the defense guessing.  There were a few games this year where the offense was doing well and then Frost suddenly abandoned what was working.  One example was the game against Iowa where Nebraska built up a 21-6 lead with over 80% run plays.  Iowa was unable to find a solution to our run and had we kept that up, we would have likely won the game.  Instead, after going up 21-6, Frost called 65% pass plays the remainder of the game and only 35% runs.  I am hopeful that Whipple's experience as a play caller will help give us the best chance to win games.

You do realize Iowa adjusted defense significantly basically forcing us to pass?  Of course Scott would have continued to stay run heavy had Iowa stayed with the same defense from the first half.

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

 

I agree that the 2nd half against Michigan was great and I don't believe anyone expects perfection, but we had dug ourselves into a hole with not so great play calling in the first half.  It's kind of a microcosm of this year's team where we had some really good moments but could not quite put together a full 60 minutes to win the game.  I am hoping the experience of Whipple will help us more consistently have a full 60 minutes of good play calling.  

 

Just to add, I think the main issue for this is that practice did not reveal what the coaches needed to see or know going into the game. Once they saw what the other team was doing, they did a pretty damn good job adjusting, but they need to develop and practice in a way where the truth reveals itself well before Dublin. We can't waste a half figuring who the starting Wr's, Rb's, or OT's are. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You do realize Iowa adjusted defense significantly basically forcing us to pass? 

 

What are you talking about?

 

Our first drive of the 3rd quarter went:

 

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Run

Run

Pass

Run

Run

Touchdown

 

Our next drive went run, pass, pass, punt blocked for a touchdown.

 

Our play selection from that point forward was:

 

Pass

Run

Run

Run (Logan Fumble on option)

Pass

Pass (Safety)

Pass

Pass

Run

Punt

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

 

 

When exactly did Iowa change their defense and start successfully stopping the run before we stopped trying to run?  

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...