Donovan Raiola Officially Named Offensive Line Coach

5 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Raiola has a lot of experience. As an assistant. Now, he'll be on his own. He brings the right mindset. I think he'll bring good energy and will foster tenaciousness among his unit. How well of a recruiter remains to be seen. It's a step up for him. My understanding is that Quinn was our first choice where a deal couldn't be reached. A health issue might've been a factor. Donovan has his work cut out for him and his role will be critical to our success. I'll be cautiously optimistic. B-  

I tend to think the best teachers were students that tended to have to work extra hard to master the subject.  Dominic was a much better player but Donovan surely knows the game.  His brother can provide a wealth of advice and expertise too.  I tend to feel optimistic on him.  I think Austin was better than many of his critics. I think scheme and talent were the biggest issue for O line play.  Apparently Frost believes otherwise.  We shall see soon enough. 

• Fire 1
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I am impressed that so many people know so much about this guy that they can give an opinion on this hire.

Offensive Line coaches are generally as esoteric as the players they coach. But here we are with several opinions of this hire. 

What a time to be alive. 

You gotta have a hot take, man!  What else are  you gonna do?  Reserve judgment until you know more?  Pfffft!!!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I tend to think the best teachers were students that tended to have to work extra hard to master the subject.  Dominic was a much better player but Donovan surely knows the game.  His brother can provide a wealth of advice and expertise too.  I tend to feel optimistic on him.  I think Austin was better than many of his critics. I think scheme and talent were the biggest issue for O line play.  Apparently Frost believes otherwise.  We shall see soon enough. 

Hopefully Donovan brings some fire. Along with scheme and talent, I'm not sure that Allen pushed buttons enough. Perhaps he can motivate, instill an element of attitude that I thinks been lacking. I do think our talent is pretty decent overall and in ways Greg was bringing it along. The jelling aspect of it has a ways to go.   

22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Excited for Coach Donovan! High level playing experience at an O Line factory, got to be in the NFL O Line film room and on the field for everything with that group... Learned from veteran coaches and players... Raiola nasty streak... what's not to be excited about? Other than y'all's fear of the unknown?

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thought I saw where he was leaving the Bears this week.  So, I would assume immediately.

Or, isn't there some kind of test or clearing with the NCAA a new college coach has to go through to be able to recruit?  If I remember right, that goes pretty fast.

Well I think the Bears are ready to fire Nagy so the timing is probably good for Raiola to get out.  Some speculate he could be fired if they lose this week.