Donovan Raiola Officially Named Offensive Line Coach

23 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well I think the Bears are ready to fire Nagy so the timing is probably good for Raiola to get out.  Some speculate he could be fired if they lose this week.

As a bears fan they are firing him a year too late.

Guy has been an absolute train wreck.

The bears problems start way above the head coach though.

Terrible ownership all the way down to the head coach. All need to go!

I am not going to pretend to know how good either coach is comparison to the coaches that Frost let go. I do know this:

The offensive line outside of Jurgens is putrid. The tackles in particular seemed to never hold up. The interior play was ok, but overall the performance was never up to snuff.

I think that NU will be back when they are having OL and DEs drafted. Those are the biggest issues I see in the program at this point.

If you can't run block or pass protect at an above average rate and cannot rush the passer with four DL/DE then a team is not going to win in this college football climate. NU is terrible at all three of those things. They need better coaches and better players.

Lastly, Frost must hire a special teams ace. The first game they lose because of a punt return or missing three/four kicks Frost is going to be ripped apart.

Congratst to the new coaches. Lets hope they all bring in great people and players to make NU great again!!!

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
5 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

As a bears fan they are firing him a year too late.

Guy has been an absolute train wreck.

The bears problems start way above the head coach though.

Terrible ownership all the way down to the head coach. All need to go!

As a Bears fan I agree.   

I remember last year and the second and third string OL out performed those who started.  Will be interesting to see how he does

Whether these candidates are historically successful or not is immaterial.  Future success is dictated by several factors, including history, but it also relies on role.  If our new HC remains entrenched in the daily tactical decisions for the offense and chooses not to delegate most of the responsibility to these coaches, than their hire is essentially moot.

In other words, these coaches may turn out to be the most expensive analysts / consultants in the FBS next season.

He needs to delegate...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Whether these candidates are historically successful or not is immaterial.  Future success is dictated by several factors, including history, but it also relies on role.  If our new HC remains entrenched in the daily tactical decisions for the offense and chooses not to delegate most of the responsibility to these coaches, than their hire is essentially moot.

In other words, these coaches may turn out to be the most expensive analysts / consultants in the FBS next season.

He needs to delegate...

He does need to let them do their jobs.  Either they need the autonomy to run the offense or we don’t need to pay millions for O staff to serve as trainers and message conduits.  

We don’t know how much Frost’s staff actually actually controls.  But, after 4 years of struggles with previous assistants, we need change for the better.   It’s too bad we waited 4 losing seasons to make changes.  If we get more of the same, we will know where the issues lie. 

Special teams the same.  The defense is far from perfect but seem much more organized and did about as much as could be hoped for by comparison anyway.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

He does need to let them do their jobs.  Either they need the autonomy to run the offense or we don’t need to pay millions for O staff to serve as trainers and message conduits.  

We don’t know how much Frost’s staff actually actually controls.  But, after 4 years of struggles with previous assistants, we need change for the better.   It’s too bad we waited 4 losing seasons to make changes.  If we get more of the same, we will know where the issues lie. 

Special teams the same.  The defense is far from perfect but seem much more organized and did about as much as could be hoped for by comparison anyway.  

Right on all counts.  Coach waited 4 years because he knew (and I believe knows) that his system works.  It is for this reason that I am hesitant to predict any future success based on these hires.  If the course remains unchanged; philosophy, scheme selection, personnel choice, play selection / calling and on-field tactics, then this will be a wonderful display of theater and nothing more.