Donovan Raiola Officially Named Offensive Line Coach

I liked how he mentions nutrition "making the whole athlete." I'm sure that Duvall conveys this to the guys after they put time in the weight room, but it's foundational: Not a single ounce of muscle is really made in the gym, it's made at the dinner table.

When I looked at Minnesota's offensive line this year it struck me how we just really need these younger guys like Corcoran to fill out and strengthen up a bit. To make a long story short that just takes time. That's why you really want a guy to start maybe as a redshirt sophomore - but possibly even a redshirt junior.

We haven't had the luxury of doing this, it's been a "play whoever we can possibly get to fill in" kind of thing.

But they've got to get these guys a bit bigger & stronger in the offseason and also continue to help them mesh as a group. Seems like he puts a lot of emphasis on those two things.

It's probably impossible to know how his style compares with Greg Austin in those regards.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
45 minutes ago, Undone said:

I liked how he mentions nutrition "making the whole athlete." I'm sure that Duvall conveys this to the guys after they put time in the weight room, but it's foundational: Not a single ounce of muscle is really made in the gym, it's made at the dinner table.

When I looked at Minnesota's offensive line this year it struck me how we just really need these younger guys like Corcoran to fill out and strengthen up a bit. To make a long story short that just takes time. That's why you really want a guy to start maybe as a redshirt sophomore - but possibly even a redshirt junior.

We haven't had the luxury of doing this, it's been a "play whoever we can possibly get to fill in" kind of thing.

But they've got to get these guys a bit bigger & stronger in the offseason and also continue to help them mesh as a group. Seems like he puts a lot of emphasis on those two things.

It's probably impossible to know how his style compares with Greg Austin in those regards.

Not saying that they did this but maybe if Corcoran and Benhart didn't take S&C and nutrition seriously last year, they will take it more seriously this year after they got beat repeatedly.  a wake up call if you will.  The body comps of our line compared to others is off a little.  It's like when Wisconsin or Minn O-line put their hand on the ground and you see their Triceps popping out and not so much for our guys.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Not saying that they did this but maybe if Corcoran and Benhart didn't take S&C and nutrition seriously last year, they will take it more seriously this year after they got beat repeatedly.  a wake up call if you will.  The body comps of our line compared to others is off a little.  It's like when Wisconsin or Minn O-line put their hand on the ground and you see their Triceps popping out and not so much for our guys.

Agreed. And in nine months with intensity and a serious focus on the nutritional side of it you can put even 20 pounds on a guy where his body fat percentage might stay the same.

Meaning, that consists of both fat and lean muscle gain but the athlete is then significantly stronger in terms of the numbers he can put up in the gym. This can be done in 9 months.

But it takes a huge personal commitment from the player to stick with not just the lifting but the eating.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

He looks like he would rather be ripping someone's head off instead of answering questions in front of a camera.  And...I'm fine with that in an O line coach.  

I'm wondering if as an assistant if he might've been the one actually directing the drills. I've seen where his credentials have been critiqued. He's likely been very, very involved where his understanding is quite extensive. I'm not interested in whether the guy's excellent at B.S. in front of a camera only that he does what's necessary delivering results.  

What I'm probably worried about as much or more than our actual personnel on the O-line for 2022 is motivation.

Just curious how a 3-9 season with four coaches getting fired does/doesn't change the motivation level of these guys in the offseason. Because this period of time is arguably more important for linemen than any other group because if they're dedicated to lifting & the training table, those gains pay off big time by the time week one of the season rolls around.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

What I'm probably worried about as much or more than our actual personnel on the O-line for 2022 is motivation.

Just curious how a 3-9 season with four coaches getting fired does/doesn't change the motivation level of these guys in the offseason. Because this period of time is arguably more important for linemen than any other group because if they're dedicated to lifting & the training table, those gains pay off big time by the time week one of the season rolls around.

Yeah....communication in the next month or two is going to be huge between Raiola and the players.  He has to send a message that is confident and motivates.  He somehow has to convince them that they can go from almost the worst unit on the team to one being a big asset to the team and winning more games next year.  Typically, Iike a captain on both sides of the ball to come from the line.  I'm not sure who that would be right now on the offense.

• Fire 2

22 hours ago, Undone said:

We DO NOT have a nutritional problem as we literally have the best guy in the nation when it comes to that field.  Our issues are of the lifting kind. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Undone said:

By "big guys" did you mean offensive linemen that have big frames - or just referring to the number of linemen we've recruited in general?

Not enough O line players period.  By a quick check, NU roster shows about 20 total for the o line going into the winter.  About 6 or 7 are scholarship recruits - rest walk-ons I believe.  20 is maybe a couple short but with most guys being in first couple years in the system, we a long way from having a good depth structure across the 4-5 years. Most have the overall height/weight numbers and hard to assess their frames etc from outside.  I’m assuming that is the least of the problems.  It’s maturity, recruiting and class balance, and too much reliance on walk-on guys to fill the most important positions on the offense.  

Defensive line has been better but still seems a little thin imo.  The line of scrimmage needs to be where it all begins. It dictates everything else and it can’t be finessed or skimped. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

We DO NOT have a nutritional problem as we literally have the best guy in the nation when it comes to that field.  Our issues are of the lifting kind. 

It's still up to the players to do it though, both for nutrition and lifting. I don't know anything about OL specifically, but there are definitely guys who weren't following though on the diet/nutrition part, regardless of how good their instructions were.

For Corcoran, I've gotta think his injury had something to do with not bulking up more. It's hard enough to maintain an OL body while injured, let alone develop. And I don't think Benhart has a size or strength issue - it's footwork and technique. 

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's still up to the players to do it though, both for nutrition and lifting. I don't know anything about OL specifically, but there are definitely guys who weren't following though on the diet/nutrition part, regardless of how good their instructions were.

For Corcoran, I've gotta think his injury had something to do with not bulking up more. It's hard enough to maintain an OL body while injured, let alone develop. And I don't think Benhart has a size or strength issue - it's footwork and technique. 

Great post. They have to actually follow the post-workout eating plan and the general, every day eating plan, etc. We can't say for sure that they aren't - but the point still stands.

And on Corcoran, I hate seeing some posters dog on him because really you shouldn't ever be starting on the O line at Nebraska as a redshirt freshman. It's just too early and too much pressure - and he had the injury!

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not enough O line players period.  By a quick check, NU roster shows about 20 total for the o line going into the winter.  About 6 or 7 are scholarship recruits - rest walk-ons I believe.  20 is maybe a couple short but with most guys being in first couple years in the system, we a long way from having a good depth structure across the 4-5 years. Most have the overall height/weight numbers and hard to assess their frames etc from outside.  I’m assuming that is the least of the problems.  It’s maturity, recruiting and class balance, and too much reliance on walk-on guys to fill the most important positions on the offense.

Good post here. I was curious how sure you were on the bold scholarship count for O linemen? If accurate, I'm thinking that's a pretty low count.

And no offense to the guy, but I personally probably wouldn't even count Hixson in that head count because he started as a walk-on.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Great post. They have to actually follow to post-workout eating plan and the general, every day eating plan, etc. And on Corcoran, I hate seeing some posters dog on him because really you shouldn't ever be starting on the O line at Nebraska as a redshirt freshman. It's just too early and too much pressure - and he had the injury!

Good post here. I was curious how sure you were on the bold scholarship count for O linemen? If accurate, I'm thinking that's a pretty low count.

And no offense to the guy, but I personally probably wouldn't even count Hixson in that head count because he started as a walk-on.

I agree on Corcoran. He is a freshman so we shouldnt be bagging on him for not being as strong as our big ten competition who is playing juniors and seniors. Benhart no excuses. That is just lack of talent.