Donovan Raiola Officially Named Offensive Line Coach

30 minutes ago, sho said:

Begs the question of why keep him so long?   He didn't need to bring him from UCF, he could have pushed him out after a year or 2 of seeing it not work in the BigTen.  I do wonder how much truth there is to them butting heads often over this.  

Fair question.  I have no idea what the answer is.  Maybe Austin's philosophy worked good enough at UCF, because they had so much more talent and skill than their opponents (especially at the skill position).  They tried a similar speed and technique philosophy in the Big Ten, and after initial success, it didn't work long-term.  So, when Frost wanted a more power philosophy the past couple years to play in the Big Ten, Austin wasn't able to produce that.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Because of that, the o-linemen are taught to "shield" the defensive linemen instead of attacking and trying to over-power the d-linemen.

That's what drove me batty at times. It's like they were taught to just stand there and play catch with the D-linemen, rather than meeting force with force.

1 hour ago, sho said:

Begs the question of why keep him so long?   He didn't need to bring him from UCF, he could have pushed him out after a year or 2 of seeing it not work in the BigTen.  I do wonder how much truth there is to them butting heads often over this.  

It was perfectly reasonable for Frost to bring over a whole staff that had just went undefeated (contrary to what a lot of Captain Hindsights have convinced themselves of). But yeah, it's kinda baffling why Frost didn't ditch Austin when he dumped Walters. My best guess is that Frost and Austin were initially trying to mix their styles, and when that didn't work, Austin managed to sweet-talk Frost with a 'let me try doing it all my way' idea, hence the running game coordinator title. The other aspect is that it did seem at times like the line was making progress, but then every time things were looking up, they took a step or two backwards. I was semi-bought into those signs of progress, and I imagine Frost was as well.

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Coach Raiola was asked about center and he mentioned Hixson and Piper so far.  Wondering if Corcoran was healthy for spring if he might have taken a few reps at it.  The reason why is because they want the best 5 out there, and some guys will be interchangeable at positions. 

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That's great. I'll believe it when I see it. The O line has been a liability for over a decade.

I’d rather that he said that than whatever they’ve been doing. 

Just now, BigRedN said:

It's just surprising that "that" is amazing to Corcoran.  It explains a lot.

Agree. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Any offensive coordinator ever:

“We want to score more points than our defense gives up.  We should win a lot of games that way..,”

Words don’t matter.  If schemes or talent don’t change, nothing will.

Corcoran might as well be saying “our new coach wants us to try harder”

I could give that coaching for 500k a year!

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Any offensive coordinator ever:

“We want to score more points than our defense gives up.  We should win a lot of games that way..,”

Words don’t matter.  If schemes or talent don’t change, nothing will.

I mean .... you're responding to a post about a pretty noticable scheme change...

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean .... you're responding to a post about a pretty noticable scheme change...

How so?

article is coming toMorrow.

otherwise the thread is about the new online coach.

edit: does it count as “scheme change” if Whipple tells the QBs to try to complete 100% of passes?