Donovan Raiola Officially Named Offensive Line Coach

21 hours ago, Undone said:

Benhart seemed to be kind of playing with a deer in the headlights thing going on. Maybe that isn't entirely fixable, I don't know.

But you'd think that a halfway decent offensive line coach could:

1. Identify the specific struggles the player is having very easily from the film.

2. Simulate the situations in practice that gave the player these issues.

3. Coach the player on how to make the plays better.

Just like with the special teams problems we've had, it just doesn't seem like it should be so hard to get some of these fundamental problems fixed - or at least make them better.

I think the deer in the headlights comes from not having good fundamentals and technique. If you are confident and good in those aspects, the rest of the game is a lot easier. And, if you’re bad in these areas, you’re going to look weaker. 

Im so happy we have a line coach that is known for teaching this. 

• Fire 1

On 12/17/2021 at 1:09 PM, Husker in WI said:

Unless you're a mammoth like him or a genetic freak like Tyron Smith in the NFL

Tyron Smith stayed at the same resort as me in Mexico a few years ago (not sure why he was staying at a mid-range all inclusive with us common folk).  I can confirm that the dude is a genetic freak.  He is a mammoth human being, and looking at him you would never guess an offensive lineman due to how cut he is.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Tyron Smith stayed at the same resort as me in Mexico a few years ago (not sure why he was staying at a mid-range all inclusive with us common folk). 

There's some interesting stuff about Tyron and his financial history out there.  I read an article (can't find it now) about how he got extorted by his family and now he lives kind of frugally.  

43 minutes ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

If this move was made strictly to get his Nephew to come here I will be happy. Any other offensive line success we have is just a cherry on top

We got to get ‘22 right. Future years will be a product of the coming year.  Period.  The entire Frost staff will be at risk if Frost fails this fall. This is make or break.  I am afraid any good will and residue of Frost reputation is gone with a losing season year 5, like it not.   We may wish Frost had more time but the cfb world won’t wait, no matter what anyone in Lincoln or fans may wish for.  

27 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We got to get ‘22 right. Future years will be a product of the coming year.  Period.  The entire Frost staff will be at risk if Frost fails this fall. This is make or break.  I am afraid any good will and residue of Frost reputation is gone with a losing season year 5, like it not.   We may wish Frost had more time but the cfb world won’t wait, no matter what anyone in Lincoln or fans may wish for.  

If we have a losing season again, I don't wish a guy who had 5 straight losing seasons to get more time in any universe. I won't be joining the Husker Stockholm Syndrome movement ever.  My enthusiasm level is already at an all time low.

• Fire 1
12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

If we have a losing season again, I don't wish a guy who had 5 straight losing seasons to get more time in any universe. I won't be joining the Husker Stockholm Syndrome movement ever.  My enthusiasm level is already at an all time low.

I use “we” as the generic Neb fans who are too casual and simply wish Frost would be the hero they dreamed of when he was hired.  I am not in that group.  I had serious reservations about Frost when he got the hysterical welcome home 4 years ago.  I think he is learning, albeit slowly, and imagine he will become a very fine HC even at DONU but he is not there yet. I am hoping and praying that Whipple will help us get him far enough along to be able to do the job himself. Whipple has the depth of experience, age and wisdom (?), to get us on a winning track.