Donovan Raiola Officially Named Offensive Line Coach

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree on Corcoran. He is a freshman so we shouldnt be bagging on him for not being as strong as our big ten competition who is playing juniors and seniors. Benhart no excuses. That is just lack of talent.

I just don't know, though.

We can talk all day long about how the recruiting site numbers are inaccurate or don't matter, but he got offered by:

-Michigan

-Notre Lame

-Iowa State

-Oregon

-Wisconsin(!!!!!)

-Minnesota

-Tennessee

-Oklahoma

-Oklahoma State

That's almost about like the list of offers that guys like Ty Robinson & Corcoran got.

I think Austin just failed this kid.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:27 AM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Not saying that they did this but maybe if Corcoran and Benhart didn't take S&C and nutrition seriously last year, they will take it more seriously this year after they got beat repeatedly.  a wake up call if you will.  The body comps of our line compared to others is off a little.  It's like when Wisconsin or Minn O-line put their hand on the ground and you see their Triceps popping out and not so much for our guys.

I agree about the body composition and physical strength.  I also, also think for guys like Piper and Benhart, the moment was too big for them.  And as hard as they probably worked off season, they just weren't ready yet.  To a degree, Sichterman and Corcoran too.  It takes time.  And without dropping specific names, some appeared to look puffy heavy, if that makes any sense. Teddy P looked the part a lot more than Benhart even though they are roughly the same in H/W.  (height/weight)

17 minutes ago, admo said:

I agree about the body composition and physical strength.  I also, also think for guys like Piper and Benhart, the moment was too big for them.  And as hard as they probably worked off season, they just weren't ready yet.  To a degree, Sichterman and Corcoran too.  It takes time.  And without dropping specific names, some appeared to look puffy heavy, if that makes any sense. Teddy P looked the part a lot more than Benhart even though they are roughly the same in H/W.  (height/weight)

They aren't close to the same weight - Wouldn't be shocked if Benhart isn't his listed 330, but there's absolutely no way Teddy was at 305. And even if you take them at face value, 25 lbs is a lot. Teddy has a higher ceiling for sure, that's why he's playing LT. But I don't think Benhart looked out of shape or anything. Heavy feet for sure, but to me that could just as easily be technique and coaching as it could be physical development.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:27 AM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Not saying that they did this but maybe if Corcoran and Benhart didn't take S&C and nutrition seriously last year, they will take it more seriously this year after they got beat repeatedly.  a wake up call if you will.  The body comps of our line compared to others is off a little.  It's like when Wisconsin or Minn O-line put their hand on the ground and you see their Triceps popping out and not so much for our guys.

Well when was the last time our tackles put their hand on the ground? I don't really see a big difference in OL bodies other than Faalele. Unless you're a mammoth like him or a genetic freak like Tyron Smith in the NFL, you're going to have a gut and some fat arms at 310-330. Teddy looked like a stick but held his own, excited to see what he can do bulked up a bit.

4ec8582fbc312.preview-300.jpg?crop=251,1

10530317.jpg

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

They aren't close to the same weight - Wouldn't be shocked if Benhart isn't his listed 330, but there's absolutely no way Teddy was at 305. And even if you take them at face value, 25 lbs is a lot. Teddy has a higher ceiling for sure, that's why he's playing LT. But I don't think Benhart looked out of shape or anything. Heavy feet for sure, but to me that could just as easily be technique and coaching as it could be physical development.

Pretty sure I never said exactly the same, and thought I said roughly? :dunno And I didn't say Benhart looked out of shape either.  But I did mention that he and a few others weren't ready, and it showed on game day.  The other stuff I mentioned seemed like an accurate opinion, but oh well.

• Haha 1

Benhart seemed to be kind of playing with a deer in the headlights thing going on. Maybe that isn't entirely fixable, I don't know.

But you'd think that a halfway decent offensive line coach could:

1. Identify the specific struggles the player is having very easily from the film.

2. Simulate the situations in practice that gave the player these issues.

3. Coach the player on how to make the plays better.

Just like with the special teams problems we've had, it just doesn't seem like it should be so hard to get some of these fundamental problems fixed - or at least make them better.

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, admo said:

Pretty sure I never said exactly the same, and thought I said roughly? :dunno And I didn't say Benhart looked out of shape either.  But I did mention that he and a few others weren't ready, and it showed on game day.  The other stuff I mentioned seemed like an accurate opinion, but oh well.

That's true, I don't disagree with the thought that the moments looked too big for them - I probably jumped to conclusions from the last line of your post. In any case, excited to see what next year looks like. Should be more competition along the OL anyway, and hopefully that brings out the best in them.

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That's true, I don't disagree with the thought that the moments looked too big for them - I probably jumped to conclusions from the last line of your post. In any case, excited to see what next year looks like. Should be more competition along the OL anyway, and hopefully that brings out the best in them.

leonardo-dicaprio-leo-dicaprio.gif

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

leonardo-dicaprio-leo-dicaprio.gif

That they looked like deer in the headlights out there, sure. I don't agree about the physical strength/body composition being much of an issue. Maybe a bit for Corcoran and Teddy, but they're young and Corcoran was limited for a while. The rest of the guys look like a Big Ten line IMO, just didn't play like one very often. 

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not enough O line players period.  By a quick check, NU roster shows about 20 total for the o line going into the winter.  About 6 or 7 are scholarship recruits - rest walk-ons I believe.  20 is maybe a couple short but with most guys being in first couple years in the system, we a long way from having a good depth structure across the 4-5 years. Most have the overall height/weight numbers and hard to assess their frames etc from outside.  I’m assuming that is the least of the problems.  It’s maturity, recruiting and class balance, and too much reliance on walk-on guys to fill the most important positions on the offense.  

Defensive line has been better but still seems a little thin imo.  The line of scrimmage needs to be where it all begins. It dictates everything else and it can’t be finessed or skimped. 

It would be handy if you actually had correct numbers upon which to base your assertions instead of completely making things up.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, admo said:

Yeah, I'm hopeful about Raiola working with them.  But also taking a "wait and see" approach.  So much of our success is riding on the line.

So true.  And in all honesty (IMO) what offensive position group or individual player really improved on the offensive side of the ball save TE (the only coach kept)(Cam as an individual).  Whipple is not my schematic choice, BUT I am excited to see how much we can improve with a competent staff on the O side.  

• Plus1 1

Benhart i think legitimately was just overrated. Too tall & no bend, slow feet, and short limbs for 6’9”. Pretty slow. He needs to be significantly stronger too. Just kinda leans into guys. I don’t see him becoming a starter again. I think he will improve but the best he will be is an average player. 

• Fire 1
22 hours ago, Undone said:

I just don't know, though.

We can talk all day long about how the recruiting site numbers are inaccurate or don't matter, but he got offered by:

-Michigan

-Notre Lame

-Iowa State

-Oregon

-Wisconsin(!!!!!)

-Minnesota

-Tennessee

-Oklahoma

-Oklahoma State

That's almost about like the list of offers that guys like Ty Robinson & Corcoran got.

I think Austin just failed this kid.

Benhart, Piper, and Corcoran all played worse than they did in 2020. One guy I could give a pass on but three?  That is poor development on Austin's part IMO. Don't know what to expect from Raiola, but if he's as good as Frost think we see a substantially better line in 22, even without Cam. Think with Teddy back Benhart moves inside with Hixson and Piper battling it out at center. 

• Plus1 2