Last Coaching position Quandry

Just something to add to the discussion.  it looks like last coaching position will come down to two questions.

1. Coach for Special teams (Busch)

2. Coach for running backs (Brown).

this is a tough spot to (assuming no other staff re-alignments/departures)  Both are very good coaches and recruiters..  

I would not want to make that call..

your thoughts?

2 minutes ago, RavHuskr said:

If I was coaching for my job and special teams was/is a very glaring weakness I think I would do it myself vs trusting my future employment to someone else.  

I would keep Ron as RB coach and keep Busch as an analyst

Wonder how much time each week is spent on Special Teams.  I can fully see your point about his future employment..  

• Fire 1

I was thinking about this same thing today.  We need a RB's coach but with the development we've seen under Beckton over the last few years, I'd be nervous to move him to a different role.  That group is about the only group on Offense that has seen any kind of improvement.  With Fidone coming up, I'd want the guy that I trust to develop TE's working with him every day.  

Maybe Beckton is such a good coach that he develops players regardless of position.  Now I'm just talking in circles.  That's the result of reading like 150 pages of threads the past few days.

39 minutes ago, San Diego Husker said:

I am a big fan of both Brown and Busch..  both are very good recruiters and have NU ties.  I would probably lean towards Brown myself, but would hate to lose the recruiting ability of Busch.

I do wonder in today's PC landscape how Brown's views would land in recruits homes.  I personally would take Busch over him.   For me I would move Beckton to RB.  TEs work with Raiola on blocking and work with Joseph and Beckton on routes.   Busch could be full time ST/RC and help out with DBs as needed.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, sho said:

I do wonder in today's PC landscape how Brown's views would land in recruits homes.  I personally would take Busch over him.   For me I would move Beckton to RB.  TEs work with Raiola on blocking and work with Joseph and Beckton on routes.   Busch could be full time ST/RC and help out with DBs as needed.

I'm sure he will do fine in states that don't touch the pacific with their western border.  

• Thanks 1

I am hoping we hear something soon about this.  When I look at last season alone, ST's had a greater impact on our final record that RB ability, and thus I would lean toward ensuring we have somebody dedicated to ST.  Special teams involves overseeing many players between the kickers, punters, and coverage guys where RBs would have a fewer number of players to oversee.  

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am hoping we hear something soon about this.  When I look at last season alone, ST's had a greater impact on our final record that RB ability, and thus I would lean toward ensuring we have somebody dedicated to ST.  Special teams involves overseeing many players between the kickers, punters, and coverage guys where RBs would have a fewer number of players to oversee.  

How many P5 teams don't have a RB coach? 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many P5 teams don't have a RB coach? 

Probably not many, but I am not sure many have been as bad as Nebraska has been on Special teams to the point it cost the team many games.  Perhaps Beckton can double up on TE and RB or Frost can even try to oversee RBs if he is giving up play calling and will truly allow the OC to be an OC.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Probably not many, but I am not sure many have been as bad as Nebraska has been on Special teams to the point it cost the team many games.  Perhaps Beckton can double up on TE and RB or Frost can even try to oversee RBs if he is giving up play calling and will truly allow the OC to be an OC.  

I still think @Hedley Lamarrsuggestion of moving Beckton to RB, have TEs work with MJ and Beckton on routes and with Raiola on blocking and hiring Busch full time makes the most sense.  Give Busch ST/RC and when he can, help out with Safeties/DBs.   Beween MJ and Busch we would have some premier recruiters out there.

• Plus1 1