Last Coaching position Quandry

It's too early to tell what's going to happen with the remaining spot. Who knows if a defensive coach gets a different job or something of the sort. I honestly think we need both which is quite the conundrum. If everything stays the same I think you add Brown or another RB coach, have Frost coach special teams and keep Busch as an analyst to help Scott. Personally I'd rather have Busch on staff but we'll see.

39 minutes ago, sho said:

I still think @Hedley Lamarrsuggestion of moving Beckton to RB, have TEs work with MJ and Beckton on routes and with Raiola on blocking and hiring Busch full time makes the most sense.  Give Busch ST/RC and when he can, help out with Safeties/DBs.   Beween MJ and Busch we would have some premier recruiters out there.

I want to get rid of a LB coach and let Chins manage that spot allowing Busch on fulltime as well as a RB Coach :-) 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Defense is the most important part of a team imo. Offense sells tickets but defense wins championships.  Of course special teams are about half and half in some ways.  If Frost is not the OC defacto, he needs to coach some group.  He will now have a very experienced OC and former HC to help manage the game offensively. Maybe Frost and Whipple co-ST coaches. Or even assign Whipple and Chins STs with Frost helping all of the above.  

• Fire 1

Hiring an expert special teams coach is the most important hire this offseason. Frost has no idea how to coach special teams or else we would not have the worst special teams in P5 over the past 4 years. We need someone with a proven record in coaching special teams. Currently our special teams do not know how to kick, punt, block, return, or even line up correctly. These are results after 4 years. So, investing in a proven special teams coach MUST be a priority. Special teams win games for you or at least close out games when you are leading. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Lord God, 

Please don’t rush time, it’s limited for us. But upon Your  eternal clock can we just get through this winter conditioning/hiring season and on to the spring game already? 
In Your name, all the fans who just want to follow Your team and enjoy Nebraska football; without all the conjecture, rumors, and nonsense with no real knowledge of Your will, guide us. Amen 

see ya’ll in the spring! 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I want to get rid of a LB coach and let Chins manage that spot allowing Busch on fulltime as well as a RB Coach :-) 

This is my take.  Is there that much difference in coaching ILB vs OLB where one guy (Ruud) can't do both with Chin's assistance? 

Wipple   OC/QB

Joseph  WR

Becton  TE

Raiola    OL

Brown or ??  RB

Bush    ST/RC

Chins   DC/LB 

Ruud   LB

Fisher  DB

Tuioti   DL

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This is my take.  Is there that much difference in coaching ILB vs OLB where one guy (Ruud) can't do both with Chin's assistance? 

Wipple   OC/QB

Joseph  WR

Becton  TE

Raiola    OL

Brown or ??  RB

Bush    ST/RC

Chins   DC/LB 

Ruud   LB

Fisher  DB

Tuioti   DL

I would be fine with this.

BTW - I think Brown would make an excellent RB coach.  He's proven it in the past and he's worked with and had great relationships with players who were much different than he - Amer is a great example.  And my memory recalls that he was the kind of recruiter that the 'moms and dads' of the world appreciated. 

• Plus1 2

Folks--you're thinking long-term, when what we need are immediate fixes. Special Teams played a key factor in *ALL* of our losses last season. We were one of the worst Special Teams units in FBS. Running Backs didn't, and likely won't if we get the O-Line and playcalling shored up.

I don't get how someone would prioritize RBs (which can be handled by another offensive coach) over an entire 3rd unit in Special Teams when our Special Teams are a raging dumpster fire of epic proportions. Even base, competent Special Teams would have gotten us to a bowl game (or beyond) this season. 

There's zero question--you hire a Special Teams coordinator now. Then down the road, if there's an opening and things are stable again, *then* look at splitting duties between coaches and hiring a RB coach. 

Also, there are plenty of other RB coaches out there besides Brown. The man is an embarrassment to the University.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Wipple   OC/QB

Joseph  WR

Becton  TE

Raiola    OL

Brown or ??  RB

Bush    ST/RC

Chins   DC/LB 

Ruud   LB

Fisher  DB

Tuioti   DL

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

BTW - I think Brown would make an excellent RB coach.  He's proven it in the past and he's worked with and had great relationships with players who were much different than he - Amer is a great example.  And my memory recalls that he was the kind of recruiter that the 'moms and dads' of the world appreciated. 

I don't mind this line up but would rather have a dedicated RB couch..  I'm pretty sure Nebraska has already learnt the baggage that coach brown brings..

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Ron Brown turns off the fans who are religious basically but we recruit the Bible Belt and I’m gonna suggest he’s more welcome to players and their parents than many want to believe.  He is an excellent coach with great experience in on and off the field player relations.  

But he’s still available in his present role too.  If we find a great RB recruiter / coach and special teams combo, that may be better.  But ST is a must to spend lots of energy and focus on, whatever way it can be done.  I still say - don’t mess with the defense trying to somehow make Frost’s offense work.  We need the offense to complement the defense (field position, possession time, limit turnover and sudden change errors that put the defense in a hole, etc.  Whipple understands this so hopefully, he will coach accordingly and be a good counter to Scott when impulses to reach and try of score in a couple plays.  I think his former assistants probably were too deferential to their friend / boss.  Just my guess though. 

I think a lot of people are over-thinking this. No need to switch Beckton to a new position or fire a defensive coach. We hire a RB coach and have Frost (or another of the coaches) be the ST coach with Busch as the ST analyst. Then go recruit a good punter and kicker, which will solve more than half the ST issues. And make ST practice time a priority.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

have Frost (or another of the coaches) be the ST coach with Busch as the ST analyst

Isn't this what we did wt Dawson?   Someone doing a full time job part time.  Give the spot a full time coordinator - it will then have the proper emphasis and won't be the  losing component of our 3 legged stool. DC, OC, STC -  Busch, Synder or whoever - this past year proved we needed big time help on ST.  

The Ron Brown controversy was what?...10 years ago? Does anyone know if Coach Brown still holds, or espouses, the same beliefs on homosexuality? Lot's of opinions change in a lot less that 10 years. 

I think he is a good RB coach but don't necessarily "need" him to be the RB guy going forward.