Last Coaching position Quandry

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Isn't this what we did wt Dawson?   Someone doing a full time job part time.  Give the spot a full time coordinator - it will then have the proper emphasis and won't be the  losing component of our 3 legged stool. DC, OC, STC -  Busch, Synder or whoever - this past year proved we needed big time help on ST.  

I haven't seen any evidence that having a dedicated ST coach makes the team, let alone the special teams, better. There are just as many teams with good ST play without a dedicated coach. And that's also assuming that the loss of a coach for another position won't make that position worse. Just because it didn't go well with Dawson doesn't mean the same thing will happen with another coach.

But my point was more that the simple solution is the one that's most likely to happen - not something that requires firing another coach and shifting coaches to new positions just to get a dedicated ST coach.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Isn't this what we did wt Dawson?   Someone doing a full time job part time.  Give the spot a full time coordinator - it will then have the proper emphasis and won't be the  losing component of our 3 legged stool. DC, OC, STC -  Busch, Synder or whoever - this past year proved we needed big time help on ST.  

If I recall correctly, Frost made Dawson the ST aid around Oct 1 - mostly because of the fan outcry about ST issues.  Not sure it’s fair to say Dawson was “the Special Teams” coach nor coordinator.  I dont recall him being a regular presser guy as in charge of special teams.  But, we get so little useful info about so much of what’s going on, it leads to wild speculation and misinformation and drama.  Scott has never given fans any real basis to feel anyone is paying attention to that third leg of the stool.   The fans looking from outside see the results but can’t find an acceptable reason why.  So little production and so many damaging plays.   Hard not to question things.  

5 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Can they not have a grad assistant who focuses solely on special teams? 

No.  Atleast he can’t coach.  He can watch and consult apparently and analyze all day long but he can’t have much direct player contact as such from what I read.  Rule says 10 coaches. No more.  Not sure why teams can’t have as many as they want. Just NCAA being the NCAA basically.  

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

No.  Atleast he can’t coach.  He can watch and consult apparently and analyze all day long but he can’t have much direct player contact as such from what I read.  Rule says 10 coaches. No more.  Not sure why teams can’t have as many as they want. Just NCAA being the NCAA basically.  

Competitive advantage to the big budget schools.   Limit the coaches to 10 so even the smaller schools can afford to have the same number of coaches.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If I recall correctly, Frost made Dawson the ST aid around Oct 1 - mostly because of the fan outcry about ST issues.  Not sure it’s fair to say Dawson was “the Special Teams” coach nor coordinator.  I dont recall him being a regular presser guy as in charge of special teams.  But, we get so little useful info about so much of what’s going on, it leads to wild speculation and misinformation and drama.  Scott has never given fans any real basis to feel anyone is paying attention to that third leg of the stool.   The fans looking from outside see the results but can’t find an acceptable reason why.  So little production and so many damaging plays.   Hard not to question things.  

Agree. It has come across as lip service and big promises of improvement when in actual results show little attention is being put on ST. Wasn't it preseason when Frost talked about the buzz around ST and the emphasis he was putting on it and how the players were all jacked up about playing on ST?   Results point to the fact that this wasn't an important issue to focus on.  

33 minutes ago, sho said:

Competitive advantage to the big budget schools.   Limit the coaches to 10 so even the smaller schools can afford to have the same number of coaches.

So bigger schools end up hiring 40 annalists as it was rumored that Florida was looking at.  We know Bama has a ton of extra people on their staff - so the big schools find ways around the rule since they have the money to do so.  

18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So bigger schools end up hiring 40 annalists as it was rumored that Florida was looking at.  We know Bama has a ton of extra people on their staff - so the big schools find ways around the rule since they have the money to do so.  

And, nobody will ever convince me their annalists aren't taking time to actually coach.  You know....like we got in trouble for.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Actually rule probably has the exact opposite effect by limiting coaches so the small schools can’t add a couple real coaches which are likely worth about 10 ‘analylsts’ and technical advisors and office assistants.  The Bamas spend millions on the extra people that are coaching in one form or another from a distance and indirectly.  Probably watch practice with video and are on the phone/radio with the named guy - coaching from home.  
Lesser schools literally can’t afford the high dollar coaches (10) plus dozens of analysts getting more $$ than some coaches.  I’m sure Frost has some but needs more - apparently. 

It is mind boggling that so many fans underestimate the importance of special teams. No wonder Frost neglected this unit for 4 years now and look where it got us. I am sorry but running backs were NOT the reason we lost so many games. In fact, in most games, we ran the ball good enough to win. What killed us were the special teams. How many times did Frost opt to go for it rather than kick the field goal because he did not trust his special teams? How many points did we leave on the field? How many positive yards did our special teams get this season? I bet that the total positive yards our special teams got were among the lowest in FBS if not dead bottom. Not a single aspect of our special teams is working. We need a professional special teams coach who can fix the many issues very quickly or we will be in the same boat next year. I do not understand why so many downplay the importance of having someone who knows how to coach special teams. The most special thing our special teams did this season is field the punt at our own 10 yard or less. Had Frost brought some guys from the stands, they would probably have done better than our “coached” special teams. 

6 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

It is mind boggling that so many fans underestimate the importance of special teams. No wonder Frost neglected this unit for 4 years now and look where it got us. I am sorry but running backs were NOT the reason we lost so many games. In fact, in most games, we ran the ball good enough to win. What killed us were the special teams. How many times did Frost opt to go for it rather than kick the field goal because he did not trust his special teams? How many points did we leave on the field? How many positive yards did our special teams get this season? I bet that the total positive yards our special teams got were among the lowest in FBS if not dead bottom. Not a single aspect of our special teams is working. We need a professional special teams coach who can fix the many issues very quickly or we will be in the same boat next year. I do not understand why so many downplay the importance of having someone who knows how to coach special teams. The most special thing our special teams did this season is field the punt at our own 10 yard or less. Had Frost brought some guys from the stands, they would probably have done better than our “coached” special teams. 

Who are these fans you’re talking about?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Who are these fans you’re talking about?

Yeah...I just chastised folks a few posts ago for not focusing on what we need to fix things immediately (read: Special Teams) over a Running Backs coach. 

Plus, if we're talking specifically about Ron Brown coming back, the man can coach RBs, but he's a PR dumpster fire once he sets foot outside of the stadium. I'd much rather tamp down the Special Teams dumpster fire we have now, instead of ignoring said fire and introducing another potentially divisive and distracting dumpster fire outside of the stadium.

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Yeah...I just chastised folks a few posts ago for not focusing on what we need to fix things immediately (read: Special Teams) over a Running Backs coach. 

Plus, if we're talking specifically about Ron Brown coming back, the man can coach RBs, but he's a PR dumpster fire once he sets foot outside of the stadium. I'd much rather tamp down the Special Teams dumpster fire we have now, instead of ignoring said fire and introducing another potentially divisive and distracting dumpster fire outside of the stadium.

Just because fans believe we need a good RB coach, doesn't mean they are poo pooing the need to fix ST.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 12/9/2021 at 9:47 AM, RedDenver said:

Just because it didn't go well with Dawson doesn't mean the same thing will happen with another coach.

But my point was more that the simple solution is the one that's most likely to happen - not something that requires firing another coach and shifting coaches to new positions just to get a dedicated ST coach.

Really good points, but especially the bold.

The reason I had felt like having a dedicated special teams coach would fix our special teams problems is just to have a guy spending potentially more focused time in practice with the units.

But it's feeling less and less likely that there will be any more major shifting in order to make space for the dedicated coach.

It's totally possible to completely get special teams headed in the right direction by having the right analysts take an honest look at what did & didn't work this season. I just have my doubts about whether or not Frost is yet acknowledging how big of a deal it really is to the W/L column.

• Plus1 1