Last Coaching position Quandry

1 hour ago, San Diego Husker said:

I don't think NU needs two LB coaches. when Frost first arrived here, NCAA only allowed 9 assistants not the current 10.  so we hired Rudd with that 10th spot.  so, what i am suggesting let one of the existing LB coaches, coach the whole group.  either re-assign one of the coaches to an open spot (RB or ST) or simply $hit can one of the current LB coaches.  Then hire both a dedicated ST coach and a RB coach.  if the ST coach has spare time with their duties they can assist with the LB's or something.  However their primary duties would be ST.

Which is why you Hire Busch as ST Coordinator and then let him help with the defense as he would be a massive asset. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, San Diego Husker said:

Still think you need a dedicated RB coach, they under-performed last season (IMO due to O-line play).

Agreed....

The only caveat I'd add to "Line Play" is that to me the base athleticism of the OL falls on the S&C guy.

I'm honestly not qualified to say if Austin was the weakest link....but when I watched our Tackles, that looked like an S&C failure before anything else.

Hopefully that's an area where Raiola can push for some changes for his guys based on what he's seen work at both the college and pro level....and then our RB"s can start to see more lanes to run through. :thumbs

• Fire 1
29 minutes ago, San Diego Husker said:

Still think you need a dedicated RB coach, they under-performed last season (IMO due to O-line play).

I think predominantly it can be attributed to the line’s play. It was somewhat unusual how it played out with the running backs. Quite a bit of inconsistency. And not unlike our offense in general it didn’t have an identity. 

It took a long time to settle on one in Johnson. Even then there was quite a bit of fluctuation. Of coarse there was Irvin’s injury. Stepp really never materialized like I thought he might. Maybe the running backs as a unit could’ve been managed better.

From the outside it seemed to me the energy might have been lacking. I’m with you, the running backs can’t be neglected. The special teams play was evident. It doesn’t take away from the importance of the running back room. 

10 minutes ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

Agreed....

The only caveat I'd add to "Line Play" is that to me the base athleticism of the OL falls on the S&C guy.

I'm honestly not qualified to say if Austin was the weakest link....but when I watched our Tackles, that looked like an S&C failure before anything else.

Hopefully that's an area where Raiola can push for some changes for his guys based on what he's seen work at both the college and pro level....and then our RB"s can start to see more lanes to run through. :thumbs

That’s possible. Failure might not be accurate but possibly a legitimate observation no less. There’s just a lot of elements to making it function well.

With respect to the physical aspect of it what might be needing attention? Lateral strength and flexibility? I’m not a trained person to identify it. Some of this is a mindset I’m not sure that’s been there.  

It’ll be interesting to see what Riaola’s concepts bring to the table. He sounds resolute in cleaning up mistakes and playing disciplined. 

• Plus1 1

40 minutes ago, San Diego Husker said:

saw/heard on Sport-nightly, HCSF said he had pretty much made up his mind on last coach but wanted to get everyone together to let them know first what his decision is.  With Finals now over, we may settle the last staff position before Christmas?

Speculations/rumors?  We still need a RB and ST coach or doubling up one or the other. Or a "everyone will pitch" in approach.  Anxious to see who it is and how they plan to handle it.

3 hours ago, lo country said:

Speculations/rumors?  We still need a RB and ST coach or doubling up one or the other. Or a "everyone will pitch" in approach.  Anxious to see who it is and how they plan to handle it.

Well, there is a coach for Florida who is a RB/ST coach, Greg Knox, that would fit our need nicely. He is the interim head coach for the bowl game for Florida. My guess is if it is Knox, he will be announced after that is over. If it is before Christmas it will be someone else. Florida already named a RB coach under Napier so he will not stay on staff. 

The only other candidates I can think of:

Bill Busch- ST Coordinator/Defensive Assistant- probably our last option or we would have announced him by now. 

Mike Jinks- Running Back Coach. If we go this route we will have multiple staff members focus on special teams. Could stick with USC after the departure of their new RB coach to Texas. 

Andre Powell- Pittsburg coach who is also a Special Teams coordinator and running backs coach. Has a connection with Whipple and would get a pay bump to come here. Nebraska could take him but if they do it would appear we are waiting to announce until after he finishes their bowl game. 

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

In 2020, USC’s special teams were ranked No.1 nationally by Football Outsider and the Trojans were in the national Top 25 in NCAA statistics in kickoff return defense (10th at 17.0) and net punting (25th at 40.8).  True freshman Parker Lewis was 20th nationally in field goals (1.6), Gary Bryant Jr. (also a true freshman) was 22nd in kickoff returns (26.2), Ben Griffith’s 46.4 punting average was the highest by a Trojan since 2003 and snapper Damon Johnson was a Mannelly Award finalist.   

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, GISker said:

In 2020, USC’s special teams were ranked No.1 nationally by Football Outsider and the Trojans were in the national Top 25 in NCAA statistics in kickoff return defense (10th at 17.0) and net punting (25th at 40.8).  True freshman Parker Lewis was 20th nationally in field goals (1.6), Gary Bryant Jr. (also a true freshman) was 22nd in kickoff returns (26.2), Ben Griffith’s 46.4 punting average was the highest by a Trojan since 2003 and snapper Damon Johnson was a Mannelly Award finalist.   

Have some news you care to share or are we just admiring other teams stats from two years ago now in the off-season?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, GISker said:

I hope you shared this to highlight the fact that we need a Special Teams Coach. 

1 hour ago, GISker said:

With a name like Parker Lewis, I can only assume their special teams can’t lose. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1