Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that OWH's scholarship chart doesn't include Oliver Martin. Did he lose his scholarship? Think I heard somebody mention Benning alluding to someone losing theirs? Or did OWH never have him on their list? It was kinda weird with him, like he started as a walk-on, and then was kinda quietly given a scholarship.

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

I notice that OWH's scholarship chart doesn't include Oliver Martin. Did he lose his scholarship? Think I heard somebody mention Benning alluding to someone losing theirs?

There seems to be some dispute over whether he has been on scholarship or not.  I'd never seen anything saying he was on scholarship.  But HOL still has him listed as being on scholarship.  I don't know that the OWH has ever shown him being on scholarship.

This article says that he walked on initially but then was given a scholarship: :dunno  https://hailvarsity.com/football/the-b1g-expects-nebraska-to-struggle-in-2021-a-confident-frost-seems-to-be-embracing-being-the-underdog/

One other guy that comes to mind: Payne hit the portal, and I think he was released from his scholarship, but then he decided to stay. He might be off the scholarship list, too.

8 minutes ago, Toe said:

This article says that he walked on initially but then was given a scholarship: :dunno  https://hailvarsity.com/football/the-b1g-expects-nebraska-to-struggle-in-2021-a-confident-frost-seems-to-be-embracing-being-the-underdog/

One other guy that comes to mind: Payne hit the portal, and I think he was released from his scholarship, but then he decided to stay. He might be off the scholarship list, too.

I would think Payne would be back on.

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

I'm pretty sure everyone on the roster is either on scholarship or not. :P

I think you know what I meant.  But, my point was that there's no chance for him to earn it back during the season.  Someone younger could earn it during the season to have one moving forward.  There's no "moving forward" for him after the season.

I've dropped in on a Bengals board a few times since Taylor has been there, see what they think of him. Obviously, it's been a major turnaround year for them this year, and most posters who doubted him seem happy to eat some crow. But there's always those few trolls who just can't let his (awful) first couple years there go and enjoy this season. They'll say things like "he's still a .340 coach" and "it's all Burrow & the players, any coach would have a great record with this much talent on the team." (Which reminds me of the Bo era 'anyone should be able to get 9 wins at Nebraska'...)

I'm sure we'll see some of that around here if Frost gets things turned around...

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Toe said:

I've dropped in on a Bengals board a few times since Taylor has been there, see what they think of him. Obviously, it's been a major turnaround year for them this year, and most posters who doubted him seem happy to eat some crow. But there's always those few trolls who just can't let his (awful) first couple years there go and enjoy this season. They'll say things like "he's still a .340 coach" and "it's all Burrow & the players, any coach would have a great record with this much talent on the team." (Which reminds me of the Bo era 'anyone should be able to get 9 wins at Nebraska'...)

I'm sure we'll see some of that around here if Frost gets things turned around...

The Bengals improved slightly from year 1 to year 2, and then won the division in year 3. That's quite different than going 4-8 to 5-7 to 3-5 and then 3-9 while going 1-9 against Power 5 competition in year 4.  If Frost succeeds in year 5 it's more fluke like than showing linear progress like the Bengals have to date.  Frost would still need to do well in year 6+ to shake his failures to date.   

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
42 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The Bengals improved slightly from year 1 to year 2, and then won the division in year 3. That's quite different than going 4-8 to 5-7 to 3-5 and then 3-9 while going 1-9 against Power 5 competition in year 4.  If Frost succeeds in year 5 it's more fluke like than showing linear progress like the Bengals have to date.  Frost would still need to do well in year 6+ to shake his failures to date.   

Frost is down about 37-10 early in the 4th Qtr essentially so it will take a magical final 10 minutes to turn things around. To get to a .500 record (ala Riley), he needs about three 9 win seasons in a row.  It’s been a long time.  We can hope.  

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

LMAO thanks for proving my point in advance! :laughpound

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1