Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

27 minutes ago, Decked said:

Going from dreadful to bad is still improvement! 

I don't know where to find the rankings listed above.  But on a yards per game basis, we went from average (#66) to pretty good (#22).  It was even better on a yards per play metric - from #72 to #18. We gained 3 inches less per play than Alabama did last year.  Which doesn't seem "bad" to me.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't know where to find the rankings listed above.  But on a yards per game basis, we went from average (#66) to pretty good (#22).  It was even better on a yards per play metric - from #72 to #18. We gained 3 inches less per play than Alabama did last year.  Which doesn't seem "bad" to me.

Three inches is a lot!

I don't think it was the offense in general so much as it was costly turnovers, not being able to make FG's, etc.  All that has sure made it seem like we've regressed.

3 minutes ago, Decked said:

And they were 79th in PPG. The stat that matters the most. With a four year QB. 

Which was much more about our special teams than it was our offense.

We were a respectable #34 in red zone TDs and #36 in red zone TD percentage.  So we were a Top 25 offense in moving the ball and a Top 40 in scoring TDs in the red zone.  Could be better but still a long ways from "bad".  

But we dropped to #106 in scoring percentage in the red zone.  Because we were #125 in FG percentage in the red zone.  Not to mention how much tougher our special teams made it on our offense in general in lost field position.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Perhaps they weren't as bad as people though but they felt forced to make some drastic changes to placate the fanbase.

Yes. Those darn unreasonable fans with unrealistic expectations who wanted, maybe, at least one .500 season in HCSF's 4 year tenure. They should have been happy with the 3 wins they got but they always are wanting more, more, more. /s

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, Decked said:

And they were so good all of them but one got fired 

Being opponent adjusted helps also since we had an excellent strength of schedule last season.

There isn't any question the offensive coaching staff has been upgraded, especially from a recruiting standpoint.

Verduzco's point of emphasis going into last season with Martinez was turnover reduction.....which didn't happen.

• Haha 2