Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

48 minutes ago, Farms said:

Obviously we all hope the offense improves but hopefully this allows Frost to be a better head coach.  He's had so much on his plate I can think of numerous times where there's been some major clock management fails or having to use timeouts in situations that you shouldn't have had to use them.  Frost not having to worry about calling plays should be a great benefit to this team.

As long as he doesn't try and pull rank/take over play calling mid game once things start going sideways. I am quite interested to see how that plays out.

1 hour ago, Farms said:

Obviously we all hope the offense improves but hopefully this allows Frost to be a better head coach.  He's had so much on his plate I can think of numerous times where there's been some major clock management fails or having to use timeouts in situations that you shouldn't have had to use them.  Frost not having to worry about calling plays should be a great benefit to this team.

I really do hope you are right.

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

The headline should read "Turning over the reigns" has been hard on Frost.  Masker just pointed out that Whipple is 100% in charge of day to day and install, and Frost just kind of oversees (probably how it should be).

Main takeaway from Masker is that QBs aren't going to be asked to be nearly as physical as they have been.  

Thank you for the recap.

The bold is what we really needed since Frost got here. It's hard to say where things really went wrong but I think it had mainly to do with:

-Martinez having a bit of (not a lot of) trouble reading defenses

-Not recruiting a throwing QB that could do it any better than Martinez

Now we've got guys like Purdy & Haarberg who are pass-first guys. Maybe Thompson is in this category as well but I'm not completely convinced of that until I see him play against Big 10 defenses. It took five seasons but we finally have the staff, the organizational direction vis a vis giving a decent offensive coordinator the reigns, and the QB's to put together an offense that can be more like UCF's in 2017 - or maybe something even better.

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Don't know if this has been posted but love Tannor's comment.

Yup.  It’s all about the heart and the ‘want to’.  The HC has to motivate, teach, instill confidence, and lead by example, and be as smart as his counterparts across the field. The ‘culture’ as Frost describes it - isn’t getting better or the wins would show up, especially in those close games vs marginal opponents.  

Sounds like all of the QB's from top to bottom had a good spring and made some plays and progress.

Whipple covered a variety of topics, including the importance of finishing the opening game strong.

"It’s not that first quarter that’s going to win or lose it, it’s going to be where we are in the fourth quarter, and how to finish games," Whipple said. "Obviously, we know that was a little bit of a problem (last season), but that’s being a little bit more mentally tough, and more physical, and understanding situations. That will be a real focus come August — how long’s the third down, what do you need, what’s time management."

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
11 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Sounds like all of the QB's from top to bottom had a good spring and made some plays and progress.

Whipple covered a variety of topics, including the importance of finishing the opening game strong.

"It’s not that first quarter that’s going to win or lose it, it’s going to be where we are in the fourth quarter, and how to finish games," Whipple said. "Obviously, we know that was a little bit of a problem (last season), but that’s being a little bit more mentally tough, and more physical, and understanding situations. That will be a real focus come August — how long’s the third down, what do you need, what’s time management."

Coach speak 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

Just read Sipple’s highlights from his interview with coach Fisher.. Holy cow I almost forgot how many new guys we brought in. I have now idea who the starters are going to be but we should be deep. Early guess would be Hill and Newsome as starting corners with Clark being your 3rd guy. Safeties is much harder to decipher. I thought Farmer would be penciled in as a starter but Fisher said it’s a “huge summer for him to improve”. My pick for starters is Farmer and Singleton with Omar Brown getting some run and Buford as well whether it’s at safety or nickel. I’m excited to read about the position battles at DB during fall camp. No mention of Taymun Lynum or Tyreke Johnson (no surprise there). Overall we should be in good shape on the back end for the next few years. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Farms said:

Just read Sipple’s highlights from his interview with coach Fisher.. Holy cow I almost forgot how many new guys we brought in. I have now idea who the starters are going to be but we should be deep. Early guess would be Hill and Newsome as starting corners with Clark being your 3rd guy. Safeties is much harder to decipher. I thought Farmer would be penciled in as a starter but Fisher said it’s a “huge summer for him to improve”. My pick for starters is Farmer and Singleton with Omar Brown getting some run and Buford as well whether it’s at safety or nickel. I’m excited to read about the position battles at DB during fall camp. No mention of Taymun Lynum or Tyreke Johnson (no surprise there). Overall we should be in good shape on the back end for the next few years. 

Buford at one safety spot & Farmer to start then gets replaced. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Decked said:

Buford at one safety spot & Farmer to start then gets replaced. 

Yeah, Buford is almost a lock and it sounds like Singleton is on pace to pass Farmer. I'd guess similar at corner - Clark is probably the #2 to start, but as Hill continues to grow he's probably going to take Clark's job.