Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

On 7/8/2022 at 11:31 AM, Undone said:

Thank you for the recap.

The bold is what we really needed since Frost got here. It's hard to say where things really went wrong but I think it had mainly to do with:

-Martinez having a bit of (not a lot of) trouble reading defenses

-Not recruiting a throwing QB that could do it any better than Martinez

Now we've got guys like Purdy & Haarberg who are pass-first guys. Maybe Thompson is in this category as well but I'm not completely convinced of that until I see him play against Big 10 defenses. It took five seasons but we finally have the staff, the organizational direction vis a vis giving a decent offensive coordinator the reigns, and the QB's to put together an offense that can be more like UCF's in 2017 - or maybe something even better.

If you don’t think Thompson is a pass first guy then you should really watch the YouTube vid that displays every pass/run by him from last season. I’d say he is more pass first than what Chubb’s has shown. Thompson isn’t a runner. He might carry his fathers reputation but he’s as much of a runner as a guy like Joe Ganz was. I think the big 12 defenses he faced aren’t much worse than what we will face in our terrible schedule this year as well

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TurtleMan51 said:

If you don’t think Thompson is a pass first guy then you should really watch the YouTube vid that displays every pass/run by him from last season. I’d say he is more pass first than what Chubb’s has shown. Thompson isn’t a runner.

The reason Thompson didn't run much isn't that he can't run. The stats you're referring to are a product of Steve Sarkisian's system, which doesn't use a running QB. And keep in mind that Thompson was originally recruited to Texas by Tim Beck, who definitely likes a QB who can run.

• Plus1 1
On 7/16/2022 at 9:25 AM, Toe said:

The reason Thompson didn't run much isn't that he can't run. The stats you're referring to are a product of Steve Sarkisian's system, which doesn't use a running QB. And keep in mind that Thompson was originally recruited to Texas by Tim Beck, who definitely likes a QB who can run.

Look I hope I’m wrong but to me he doesn’t look that comfortable running when he did. He might be able to pick up some yards towards the sideline on a 2nd and long but he’s typically a guy who keeps his eyes down the field. He is athletic but by no means fast, enough to maybe keep the defense honest on 3 or 4 reed option plays a game but is by no means a runner of the football.

either way he is 110% pass first guy

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Well if QB runs are not a real threat to defenses, then the game plan and scheme must include a much better conceived run attack this fall.  Cause if we get Frost 2.0 in year 5 (there was virtually no change in the original version thru 4 yrs imo), without a escape, evade and get down field threat at QBS, and a OLine performance similar to last year (expecting big change is unrealistic) as  very few new faces.  Same talent. I hope Whipple and his fellow offensive staff find a new brand of play mix with some two RBs and etc.  Designed run plays in run formations etc. there has to be a better rushing attack scheme  than Frost came up with if we are going to win games. 

1 hour ago, TurtleMan51 said:

Look I hope I’m wrong but to me he doesn’t look that comfortable running when he did. He might be able to pick up some yards towards the sideline on a 2nd and long but he’s typically a guy who keeps his eyes down the field. He is athletic but by no means fast, enough to maybe keep the defense honest on 3 or 4 reed option plays a game but is by no means a runner of the football.

either way he is 110% pass first guy

And, simply put, Thompson is much smaller than Martinez. He's 6'2" and 195 pounds compared to Amart at 6'4" 220ish.

Martinez played through several injuries because we ran him like a RB because Frost was unable to develop any out of high school, the run blocking was terrible, and he ran for his life on passing plays because our starting tackles were terrible and treated pass blocking as an optional exercise. 

If we run Thompson anywhere close to Martinez, we're in trouble. That being said, I think the offense will struggle anyway since I don't forsee any RB stepping up, our QB won't be able to carry the load on the ground, and we'll have to rely on a short passing game which is dubious with our talent and inexperience with a new scheme.

We're basically rolling the dice that transfers at the most important skill positions in Whipple's offense - QB and WR - will produce without growing pains.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

That being said, I think the offense will struggle anyway since I don't forsee any RB stepping up, our QB won't be able to carry the load on the ground, and we'll have to rely on a short passing game which is dubious with our talent and inexperience with a new scheme.

Dude, we know you're not a positive minded fan. We get that, truly we do. Still, in lue of the fact that we've not witnessed even a single real game live snap and only have film to go off of your quoted statement about the backs leads me to believe that you are actually hoping they fail. Ugh... more debbie's on here then joan's of late. (referring to debbie downers vs joan of arch, one always doom and gloom, the other always filled with courage and fight)

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Dude, we know you're not a positive minded fan. We get that, truly we do. Still, in lue of the fact that we've not witnessed even a single real game live snap and only have film to go off of your quoted statement about the backs leads me to believe that you are actually hoping they fail. Ugh... more debbie's on here then joan's of late. (referring to debbie downers vs joan of arch, one always doom and gloom, the other always filled with courage and fight)

I'm not hoping they fail. I'm simply basing my assumption on having:

1. Seen the current RBs play. They're serviceable, but I don't see any making an All-Conference team. Rahmir Johnson may do well in Whipples offense as a pass catcher.

2. Frosts history developing backs during his tenure at Nebraska has been disastrous. 7 runningbacks have transferred. He used his slot receiver as a RB 2 years ago - causing him to transfer - because the situation was so bad. 

3. You are aware that Frost has averaged 3.75 wins per season? He's a terrible head coach who hasn't shown the ability to develop high school recruits at any skill position on offense. 

For the record, I think Nebraska will be a worse team than last season but finish with a better record of 5-7 or 6-6.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 3
On 7/16/2022 at 8:26 AM, TurtleMan51 said:

If you don’t think Thompson is a pass first guy then you should really watch the YouTube vid that displays every pass/run by him from last season. I’d say he is more pass first than what Chubb’s has shown. Thompson isn’t a runner. He might carry his fathers reputation but he’s as much of a runner as a guy like Joe Ganz was. I think the big 12 defenses he faced aren’t much worse than what we will face in our terrible schedule this year as well

Well we're going to agree on this: If Thompson plays anything like Ganz did in his 2008 season, that's exactly the kind of QB play this team needs. Joe threw for 25 TD's that season.

Casey will benefit from the easier schedule this season and that'll probably factor into people having an even stronger bias against Martinez if we wind up being really successful this year. But I'm not going to agree that we have a "terrible schedule" - it's just that we're replacing two highly ranked cross-divisional opponents with one weak team (Rutgers) and another with a halfway decent team (Indiana).

But that doesn't necessarily have much to do with defensive strength. 

On 7/18/2022 at 1:39 AM, Dr. Strangelove said:

And, simply put, Thompson is much smaller than Martinez. He's 6'2" and 195 pounds compared to Amart at 6'4" 220ish.

Martinez played through several injuries because we ran him like a RB because Frost was unable to develop any out of high school, the run blocking was terrible, and he ran for his life on passing plays because our starting tackles were terrible and treated pass blocking as an optional exercise. 

If we run Thompson anywhere close to Martinez, we're in trouble. That being said, I think the offense will struggle anyway since I don't forsee any RB stepping up, our QB won't be able to carry the load on the ground, and we'll have to rely on a short passing game which is dubious with our talent and inexperience with a new scheme.

We're basically rolling the dice that transfers at the most important skill positions in Whipple's offense - QB and WR - will produce without growing pains.

I stood next to AM and he is no taller than 6'2. Thompson is only 6'0 but def has way more muscle than AM. Better mechanics and footwork as a QB which I think matters most when throwing the ball. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1