Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

59 minutes ago, admo said:

With Raiola being a gentleman and very soft spoken when he speaks to reporters, it makes me want to know more!

But, I have a feeling that he will put out a good group, and possibly mix things up the first 3 games. We have some veterans, some older guys in the OL room and I really like that.  

I have the feeling he’s different on the practice field. 

Not that the offense couldn't have been better, but the fails of the offense last year have been greatly exaggerated.

Nebraska was #37 in attempts, in case you think we just didn't get there that often.  Ohio State was 17th in attempts, Michigan was 9th, Georgia was 3rd, Minnesota was 50th and Iowa was 67th.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Not that the offense couldn't have been better, but the fails of the offense last year have been greatly exaggerated.

Nebraska was #37 in attempts, in case you think we just didn't get there that often.  Ohio State was 17th in attempts, Michigan was 9th, Georgia was 3rd, Minnesota was 50th and Iowa was 67th.

Would love to see where those stats came from. While this includes both FG and TD, NU is ranked #111 in 2021 here:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

And #106 here:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/703/p3

On the NCAA site I see 53 attempts and 35 TDs, which is 66%  and Ohio State is at 67% TD conversion rate, which by my calculations is higher than 66%. How do they then rank lower in that tweet? People can say a lot of stuff on Twitter, much of it not being accurate. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Would love to see where those stats came from. While this includes both FG and TD, NU is ranked #111 in 2021 here:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

And #106 here:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/703/p3

On the NCAA site I see 53 attempts and 35 TDs, which is 66%  and Ohio State is at 67% TD conversion rate, which by my calculations is higher than 66%. How do they then rank lower in that tweet? People can say a lot of stuff on Twitter, much of it not being accurate. 

Yes, that's the point.  When you include the field goals, we drop quite a bit.  But when you're just looking at scoring touchdowns - i.e., the offense - we were actually fairly respectable.  People look at the scoring numbers and claim the offense was poor but that's not the case.  The data for just touchdowns can be found here.  The NCAA stats are also including field goals.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Mavric: I think this points as much as anything to Frost & Lubick's scheme & play calling being very overblown on the list of problems. We really didn't have much trouble moving the ball down the field, and we ranked ahead of Wisconsin & Iowa in points per game (and I understand Iowa's number goes down from that curb stomping in the B1G title game but still).

We had two games where Martinez was a huge liability (Illinois & Purdue). Then we had 2-3 games where in my opinion special teams ultimately lost us the game.

We had the talent and the offensive coaching overall to be a 7-5 team, just in general. Before anybody jumps all over that I'm not saying the talent and the offensive coaching was spectacular or anything - but it was enough to make us a 7-5 team.

It was the acute, catastrophic stuff that we couldn't overcome that was the difference IMO.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Undone said:

@Mavric: I think this points as much as anything to Frost & Lubick's scheme & play calling being very overblown on the list of problems. We really didn't have much trouble moving the ball down the field, and we ranked ahead of Wisconsin & Iowa in points per game (and I understand Iowa's number goes down from that curb stomping in the B1G title game but still).

We had two games where Martinez was a huge liability (Illinois & Purdue). Then we had 2-3 games where in my opinion special teams ultimately lost us the game.

We had the talent and the offensive coaching overall to be a 7-5 team, just in general. Before anybody jumps all over that I'm not saying the talent and the offensive coaching was spectacular or anything - but it was enough to make us a 7-5 team.

It was the acute, catastrophic stuff that we couldn't overcome that was the difference IMO.

The run game was the main reason the offense couldn't do sh*t in the red zone. Outside of AM scrambles and runs the RB and OL were awful.

Leading RB per game vs P5 teams:

Illinois: Ervin 33 yards (2.8 ypc)

Oklahoma: Johnson 42 yards (3.8 ypc)

Michigan St: Johnson 76 yards (4.0 ypc)

Northwestern: Yant 127 yards (9.8 ypc) W

Michigan: Johnson 67 yards (3.9 ypc)

Minnesota: Johnson 83 yards (7.5 ypc)

Purdue: Yant 60 yards (10 ypc) AM 4 INTs

Ohio St: Johnson 62 yards (3.9 ypc)

Wisconsin: Belt: 31 yards (4.4 ypc)

Iowa: Yant 44 yards (3.4 ypc)

Only one time did a RB go for over 100 yards...and what do you know we won that game. Twice if you count Stepp vs Fordham. 

On 7/28/2022 at 12:15 PM, suh_fan93 said:

Huskers now with 4 players on watch lists.  

If your not adding to watch lists does that mean you can't be nominated? I ask bc what happens if a player has a breakout year but he was ignored before the season started. Example (Omar Manning)? He is turning into a sleeper or people have forgot he was the number #1 juco wr 2 years ago and have written him off and aren't expecting much from him. I say sometimes it takes time for kids to adjust to a new environment. Im hoping he proves people wrong!!!