Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

Anonymous coach quotes for the Big Ten. 2022 Nebraska comments in quotes.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-for-2022

“In their division, Nebraska still has the best-looking roster. We call it the all-bus team because they look better than anyone else in the West in pregame. Long, tall dudes, really athletic, and then after a quarter or so, you stop worrying because they're usually hurting themselves. They struggle with turnovers, they struggle with technique. I think it's a culture issue."

"Defensively they improved, but they lost some of their better guys to eligibility and they filled it with transfers."

"We ask ourselves a lot what's going on there because they're pulling in good talent and have the resources, and the administration seems to have faith in this staff."

"With the new OC and the do-or-die mentality, they have to manage the summer really well and find the right QB. My guess is that Mark Whipple's going to take over the room. He's a headstrong guy."

"The biggest thing they need to do is get the OL to a point where they can run the ball long enough to let the defense breathe. That defense isn't the problem; they were solid as hell at times. The offense just needed to stay on the field and not burn quick possessions, not go tempo and get desperate because you're playing from behind."

"Obviously, this is a big year for them. They're talented enough, but is there some kind of mental block here? If they can't come out and win and show some signs that they can build around what they're doing, this is probably it."

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nic said:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-for-2022

“In their division, Nebraska still has the best-looking roster. We call it the all-bus team because they look better than anyone else in the West in pregame. Long, tall dudes, really athletic, and then after a quarter or so, you stop worrying because they're usually hurting themselves. They struggle with turnovers, they struggle with technique. I think it's a culture issue."

"Defensively they improved, but they lost some of their better guys to eligibility and they filled it with transfers."

"We ask ourselves a lot what's going on there because they're pulling in good talent and have the resources, and the administration seems to have faith in this staff."

"With the new OC and the do-or-die mentality, they have to manage the summer really well and find the right QB. My guess is that Mark Whipple's going to take over the room. He's a headstrong guy."

"The biggest thing they need to do is get the OL to a point where they can run the ball long enough to let the defense breathe. That defense isn't the problem; they were solid as hell at times. The offense just needed to stay on the field and not burn quick possessions, not go tempo and get desperate because you're playing from behind."

"Obviously, this is a big year for them. They're talented enough, but is there some kind of mental block here? If they can't come out and win and show some signs that they can build around what they're doing, this is probably it."

Man, there's so much good stuff in here.

So there it is for all of the posters who said things like "our talent last year made us a 3-9 team." You have it right there from professional coaches; on paper we're the most talented team in the West. I don't know why our fans would argue against this.

Pretty much all of the comments were spot-on except for what I highlighted in red. Going tempo/not going tempo hasn't been the problem on offense. It's been turnovers, penalties, and relying on Martinez to keep moving the chains all by himself instead of having a good base running game with our RB's.

All of the things they said about having mental blocks from a culture standpoint seems completely accurate. It's hard to put your finger on - maybe it's been pressure from Frost and so much of the "let's show everybody we're getting back to the glory days stuff."

Scott needs to figure out how to just get everybody loose heading into week one. Prepared, and instead of "no fear of failure" more of "confident you'll succeed."

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, nic said:

Pretty much what we fans have been saying.  We have enough talent to win a lot more than we have won.  I agree with whomever said it's a culture issue.  It's possible that last year, with all the close losses, we saw a step in the right direction with culture....just not a big enough step.  Let's hope this year sees a huge leap in that direction.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, nic said:

For s#!ts and giggles -

1 - Harbaugh

2 - Fitz

3 - Chryst

4 - Fleck

5 - Franklin (or another coach from the East who didn’t play them last year, but at least 2020

6 - Ferentz

2 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

For s#!ts and giggles -

1 - Harbaugh

2 - Fitz

3 - Chryst

4 - Fleck

5 - Franklin (or another coach from the East who didn’t play them last year, but at least 2020

6 - Ferentz

It's usually assistants, sometimes they get a quote or two from the head coaches but mostly they don't do this kind of thing. When the Athletic does this kind of thing they actually try to list the roles, like "Head coach in the Big Ten West" or "WR coach," but depending on what those guys say they have to make it pretty vague and there's rarely more than one or two head coaches. I'd be surprised if this was any different.

3 hours ago, nic said:

That defense isn't the problem; they were solid as hell at times. The offense just needed to stay on the field and not burn quick possessions, not go tempo and get desperate because you're playing from behind."

I think this is what most of us saw on the field last season.  I know you can torture the stats to spin any narrative you want, but so many times the defense kept us in games while the offense kept getting in their own way.   The crummy kicking game didn't help matters either, obviously. 

• Fire 2

Rivals takes a stab at the offensive two-deep:

QB: Casey Thompson, Chubba Purdy

RB: Anthony Grant, Gabe Ervin Jr.

WR (X): Marcus Washington, Omar Manning

WR (Z): Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda, Oliver Martin

Slot WR: Trey Palmer, Alante Brown

TE: Travis Vokolek, Nate Boerkircher

LT: Teddy Prochazka, Brant Banks

LG: Turner Corcoran, Brant Banks

C: Trent Hixson, Ethan Piper

RG: Broc Bando, Kevin Williams Jr.