Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

Stewart Mandel predicts a 4-8 finish (2-7 Big Ten), and...

Coach most likely to get fired

Nebraska’s Scott Frost. The best guess here is athletic director Trev Alberts finally rips off the Band-Aid midway through what figures to be another mediocre Huskers season.

https://theathletic.com/3527137/2022/08/23/big-ten-football-predictions-mandel/

random tidbit on the "older" guys on the team - the offense this year has the seniority. players who are least 23 before the season starts:

Travis Vokolek (24, oldest on team)

Casey Thompson 

Anthony Grant 

Omar Manning 

Oliver Martin 

Trent Hixson

Broc Bando

Anthony Hunter 

Kevin Williams Jr 

Ochaun Mathis 

Eteva Mauga-Clements 

Chris Kolarevic 

• Oh Yeah! 1
44 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

random tidbit on the "older" guys on the team - the offense this year has the seniority. players who are least 23 before the season starts:

Travis Vokolek (24, oldest on team)

Casey Thompson 

Anthony Grant 

Omar Manning 

Oliver Martin 

Trent Hixson

Broc Bando

Anthony Hunter 

Kevin Williams Jr 

Ochaun Mathis 

Eteva Mauga-Clements 

Chris Kolarevic 

This is still a very young team, mostly due to the transfers out.  One would have expected the gradual aging up as the years passed but I’m not sure it really has since Frost arrived. 

However the depth / roster listing does somewhat mislead with the Covid year essentially hidden on many players.  Hopefully, the team is more mature than the eligibility year would indicate.  I’m sure this is mostly true across the country.  But NU is still likely one of the younger rosters in the conference.  
This youth contributes - somewhat - to the error prone play and fundamentals weaknesses.  I expect a big improvement in those areas this season.  This can help in the win and losses area.  

I believe this will be Frost’s best team by a considerable margin.  Still young but not nearly as green and inexperienced in many ways.  With much better coaching and greater focus on details, another year of physical and mental development, much better ‘coordinators’ in O and STs.  No new defensive coaches (stability and consistency and better depth in the roaster (exc DL somewhat).  

if the kickers can actually kick the dam ball (the are not complete unknowns), STs should make a big jump.  Better athletes. Better coaching. More practice reps. 

There are good coaches teaching offense. The O line is more mature and no reason to believe those nonsensical false starts will continue.  I’ve blamed some of that on the play calling / blocking design and techniques, the ‘snap clap’ signaling, the shaky center snapping at times, the fatigue (mental and physical of the starters) on the line, as much as a raw talent deficit, a QB with some mental struggles (hesitation, over thinking, confidence issues, the nutty professor Verducci could easily mess up anybody’s mind imo), and Frost’s stubbornness at times.  

All of these aforementioned issues appear to have been duly addressed seriously. We don’t know if offense in general is really changing much, schematically, but Whipple is clearly NOT Frost.  That has to make a difference (good or bad ?).  Whipple has been very successful recently (last year) so he is ‘current’ in today’s CFB game.  It has not passed him by ALA Riley perhaps.  

All of this suggests strongly NU will have a pretty GOOD fb team this fall.  That suggests close losses become wins in my mind.  
9-3 is not unthinkable at all, but all this has to actually come together fast. I’m not sure it can be done.  Wish we’d have NW after ND and GA So. 
GBR!   

A mature team would be playing redshirt juniors and seniors (years 4 and 5 imo).  The team is not immature or full of year 1 and 2s but it young because most will be returning next year too.  An older team would expect to graduate about 2/3rds of the starters. Imo.  I don’t think we are disagreeing at all except perhaps in the meaning of young.