Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Most of out starters are years 4, 5, and 6.

I haven’t seen the depth chart but there are not many seniors iirc.  But years 345 on eligibility as I said. How many seniors exhaust eligibility in the 2 deep?
This is the beginning of year 3 (redshirt sophs normally) and year 4 (juniors).   That’s why I suggest they are young but not immature as CFB players go generally. 

I am not suggesting our youth is an excuse this fall. Quite the opposite. It’s an advantage as hopefully we get a couple years or more of quality play as they age up.  We won’t have to replace many senior starters in 2023. 

21 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I haven’t seen the depth chart but there are not many seniors iirc.  But years 345 on eligibility as I said. How many seniors exhaust eligibility in the 2 deep?
This is the beginning of year 3 (redshirt sophs normally) and year 4 (juniors).   That’s why I suggest they are young but not immature as CFB players go generally. 

I am not suggesting our youth is an excuse this fall. Quite the opposite. It’s an advantage as hopefully we get a couple years or more of quality play as they age up.  We won’t have to replace many senior starters in 2023. 

Nebraska's official roster doesn't count the Covid year, so basically add 1 year of eligibility to everyone to get their "normal elgibility".  So the only seniors you are going to see are the 6th year guys and Tannor (who didn't RS).

IMO as further we get away from the 2020, less and less guys are going to want to hang around for that extra year of eligibility.  We may get a junior or 2 to return next year, but I wouldn't count on many of them being back (especially if there is a coaching change).

Just eyeballing it, I bet around 80% of our starters are guys in year 4, 5, and 6.  That's old.

• Plus1 2

A quick count of the seniors on a roster shows 10 seniors.  Of those probably 6-8 will be on a two deep chart.  There are about 24 juniors listed.  I assume nearly all are Covid guys.  They list 35 sophs.  

A roster of about 150.    Assuming nearly all of these have a Covid year in there, that shows roughly:                                         % of roster

10 have 5 yrs of CFB, starting 6      7%

24 have 4 yrs, starting 5.                 16%

35 have 3 years, starting 4.             24%  

81 Fr and RFr. Less                           54%

So, 46% of the roster has 3 years or more, including a Covid year.  And, only a total of 74 players could play in any of the 9 games that season.  No bowl games at all.   I have not attempted to reduce any time for years played elsewhere besides NU for transfers or Jucos.  However, one could suggest that years without any possible NU practice or game reps has some impact on roster ‘age and or experience’.  

This still looks young to me.  Just my opinion 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Nebraska's official roster doesn't count the Covid year, so basically add 1 year of eligibility to everyone to get their "normal elgibility".  So the only seniors you are going to see are the 6th year guys and Tannor (who didn't RS).

IMO as further we get away from the 2020, less and less guys are going to want to hang around for that extra year of eligibility.  We may get a junior or 2 to return next year, but I wouldn't count on many of them being back (especially if there is a coaching change).

Just eyeballing it, I bet around 80% of our starters are guys in year 4, 5, and 6.  That's old.

Well if you’re right on 80% of the starters are starting year 4 or above, thats typical juniors under normal circumstances.  Not many senior veterans which would historically have been the case.  

While there may be a handful who leave early, I suspect most are not NFL ready by December and will want to finish their development.  I hope so.  A lot of our sophs and juniors are pretty good players (not pros but).  More will be after 2 seasons (‘22 and ‘23).  Imo.  

13 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

A quick count of the seniors on a roster shows 10 seniors.  Of those probably 6-8 will be on a two deep chart.  There are about 24 juniors listed.  I assume nearly all are Covid guys.  They list 35 sophs.  

A roster of about 150.    Assuming nearly all of these have a Covid year in there, that shows roughly:                                         % of roster

10 have 5 yrs of CFB, starting 6      7%

24 have 4 yrs, starting 5.                 16%

35 have 3 years, starting 4.             24%  

81 Fr and RFr. Less                           54%

So, 46% of the roster has 3 years or more, including a Covid year.  And, only a total of 74 players could play in any of the 9 games that season.  No bowl games at all.   I have not attempted to reduce any time for years played elsewhere besides NU for transfers or Jucos.  However, one could suggest that years without any possible NU practice or game reps has some impact on roster ‘age and or experience’.  

This still looks young to me.  Just my opinion 

You are always going to have a huge chunk of the roster be Fr or RS Fr because we RS nearly every Fr, so you are going to have 2 classes sitting there.  So a team will always look young if you are looking at a whole roster.

Again, around 80% of the starters under normal eligibility rules will be juniors, seniors, or super seniors.  This is not young.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Well if you’re right on 80% of the starters are starting year 4 or above, thats typical juniors under normal circumstances.  Not many senior veterans which would historically have been the case.

You are missing the key word of ABOVE.

We have plenty of senior starters.  Looking at "traditional" seniors and "Covid" seniors:

O starters

"traditional" seniors - Thompson, Grant, Palmer

"Covid" seniors - Vokelek, Bando, Hixon

D starters

"traditional" seniors - Feist, Mathis, Nelson, Reimer, Henrich, Newsome

"Covid" seniors - Tannor, Kolarvic

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

You are missing the key word of ABOVE.

We have plenty of senior starters.  Looking at "traditional" seniors and "Covid" seniors:

O starters

"traditional" seniors - Thompson, Grant, Palmer

"Covid" seniors - Vokelek, Bando, Hixon

D starters

"traditional" seniors - Feist, Mathis, Nelson, Reimer, Henrich, Newsome

"Covid" seniors - Tannor, Kolarvic

I have already said that chronologically there are ‘older’ players.   I will only add one more point that maybe is not getting due consideration.  IIRC, Covid shutdown spring almost altogether (no practices).  Couple that with NO BOWL games, 4 canceled Covid year games and several weeks of practices in the fall, many of these same older players have effectively missed out on 8-9 games and 12 weeks of practice.  Arguably that’s at least a half year or more.  With all the transfers in and out, coaching turnover, all that calendar time lost, 3 seasons full of close game losses with very little substitutions, they are still football young in many ways.   

I don’t think we are all that far apart in this but this is not your typical Neb fb team in terms of age and football maturity and experience, that will take the field Saturday.  Imo. 

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I have already said that chronologically there are ‘older’ players.   I will only add one more point that maybe is not getting due consideration.  IIRC, Covid shutdown spring almost altogether (no practices).  Couple that with NO BOWL games, 4 canceled Covid year games and several weeks of practices in the fall, many of these same older players have effectively missed out on 8-9 games and 12 weeks of practice.  Arguably that’s at least a half year or more.  With all the transfers in and out, coaching turnover, all that calendar time lost, 3 seasons full of close game losses with very little substitutions, they are still football young in many ways.

You're grasping at straws here.

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

but this is not your typical Neb fb team in terms of age and football maturity and experience, that will take the field Saturday.  Imo. 

Agree.  We will be older than a typical NU team.  We will be starting 5 guys who in normal years would be out of college.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, skers83 said:

me..after reading the last two pages of this thread.

image.jpeg.29627782f88e91d7b45224d374f92064.jpeg

It’s happening in the Blackshirts thread, it happened in the puke thread, I mean the offensive line thread. It’s almost always the same people too

I hope we win some football games so this settles down

• Plus1 2