Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yeah the sky is falling :ahhhhhhhh Also is it just me but does it seem like Gabe Irvin is getting a lot of reps with the offense.

From all indications I've seen Ervin and Grant will get the bulk of the carries from the RB spot while Johnson will be the change-of-pace, pass receiving back and probably work some out of the slot as well.  Yant will probably have a role but likely very situational.

Also, I had forgotten that Ervin and Grant are from the same high school.  That's kind of crazy.

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

From all indications I've seen Ervin and Grant will get the bulk of the carries from the RB spot while Johnson will be the change-of-pace, pass receiving back and probably work some out of the slot as well.  Yant will probably have a role but likely very situational.

Also, I had forgotten that Ervin and Grant are from the same high school.  That's kind of crazy.

Who do you think starts?

I think the RBs will have their roles and probably some special packages depending the game circumstances, especially early on.  
From the pressers so far, it seems like whatever the offense turns out to be, it’s been very hush hush; amazingly so.  It’s the best kept secret I think I can ever recall about Neb fb.  

Defense and STs have been less secretive although those phases usually are more usual and customary so probably doesn’t mean all that much.  

I guess I will kind of expect a few new things on offense but I also don’t expect them to reveal anymore of the new than is necessary to secure a solid win.  Save some new stuff for games down the road (e.g. OU).  

That said, I am sure they will use whatever it takes to win this one.  My hunch is the Coaches are pretty confident the defense will do very well.  The STs will contribute positively.  They will want the offense to help the other two phases and avoid ‘ugly’ errors.  Keep it as simple as they can and win by any means in Game 1.  They have two more weeks to really get ready to unleash whatever they have offensively.  OU onward, it’s give everything they got to secure wins.  Get 7 and let the chips fall wherever after that.  

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

From the pressers so far, it seems like whatever the offense turns out to be, it’s been very hush hush; amazingly so.  It’s the best kept secret I think I can ever recall about Neb fb.  

I don't think the playbook & scheme will actually have changed much. In the 'sights & sounds' fall camp videos there are clips of Thompson practicing the QB draw play Frost calls the 'QB Wrap' and also some option.

I don't think as many of those plays will get called as last season because Thompson can throw the ball a bit better than any QB we've been able to put out on the field in a while and so there's no need to run that stuff as much - but he can clearly do it.

Feeling pretty confident that the "Frost has little input on the offense" chatter is really just rhetoric aimed to appease fans & boosters. I doubt much changes.

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't think the playbook & scheme will actually have changed much. In the 'sights & sounds' fall camp videos there are clips of Thompson practicing the QB draw play Frost calls the 'QB Wrap' and also some option.

I don't think as many of those plays will get called as last season because Thompson can throw the ball a bit better than any QB we've been able to put out on the field in a while and so there's no need to run that stuff as much - but he can clearly do it.

Feeling pretty confident that the "Frost has little input on the offense" chatter is really just rhetoric aimed to appease fans & boosters. I doubt much changes.

Could be right.  If the scheme and plays don’t change much, should we conclude that the coaches, et al, have decided the issue was mostly QB and WRs and RBs (the execution)?  They aren’t changing O line personnel wise so maybe more aggressive push blocking and hope the pass pro gets a lot better?   

if so, why all the secrecy?  If the O is unchanged schematically, then no need or benefit to hide so much?   

Just asking - not questioning your prediction.  Trying to understand the why I guess.   

20 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think there will be some major changes, but some that casual fans won't notice.  Such as, receiver routes, blocking schemes...etc.  I'm thinking that a lot of the run plays will be similar to what we've seen.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I think there will be some major changes, but some that casual fans won't notice.  Such as, receiver routes, blocking schemes...etc.  I'm thinking that a lot of the run plays will be similar to what we've seen.

I have been thinking similarly although I really do feel the ‘mix’ (timing, ratios, what when etc) may be more different than some think.  It’s really intriguing.  

I love the play calling and strategy of offensive football.  It’s just so much fun to watch the chess / cat and mouse of it.  I love great defense - especially the hollering to help the Blackshirts do their stuff.  

While I will never abandon my steadfast belief in the Osbone (best offense ever devised), I enjoy a diversified offense with great blends and keep them guessing style Frost wants.  I’m just very doubtful that he can find the right QB and skill guys to make it work in the Big Ten, consistently.   He wants the Big Ten to have to adapt to stop him.  So far, the Big Ten has done it well.  His TDs are too few and to far between.  He move the ball between the 20s but gets stalled out too often.  Ironically, he uses up game clock without points, thereby helping opponents do what they want. Keep the scoring low and then finish with power in the 4th Qtr.  

If NU can get 21 plus in the first half, it will change the tenor of games and help Chin stay aggressive in the 2nd half.