Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I stood next to AM and he is no taller than 6'2. Thompson is only 6'0 but def has way more muscle than AM. Better mechanics and footwork as a QB which I think matters most when throwing the ball. 

I'm not concerned with his throwing.

I'm concerned that the team has relied on AM running the ball 15 times a game for the offense to be effective for the past 4 years.

Thompson simply can't do that at his size in the Big Ten. Hopefully Frost stays away from the offense enough for Whipple to do his thing. 

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm concerned that the team has relied on AM running the ball 15 times a game for the offense to be effective for the past 4 years.

Thompson simply can't do that at his size in the Big Ten. Hopefully Frost stays away from the offense enough for Whipple to do his thing. 

The only thing you'll have to worry about is fans whining that we don't have a Tommie Frazier QB or quarterback system anymore.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Thompson won't be running much outside of scrambling and the occasional "QB wrap" play.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

2AM averaged 11 rush attempts per game last year. A number of those were pass plays that broke down. 

Even if we weren’t changing OCs, a better passing QB, better WR and better line would see the QB running much less than 15 times per game. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

2AM averaged 11 rush attempts per game last year. A number of those were pass plays that broke down. 

Even if we weren’t changing OCs, a better passing QB, better WR and better line would see the QB running much less than 15 times per game. 

2AM averaged 12.1 over his career at Nebraska and Logan Smothers ran it 24 times against Iowa. Thompson averaged 4.8 carries per game as a starter last season. 

I agree with your second point, we used our QB as an RB because the offense relied on it. Hopefully that changes with a QB that we hope is a better passer.

I'm simply skeptical that the offense can reliably change into a short passing attack or establish a meaningful run game from our RBs because the offensive line is so terrible.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Undone said:

The only thing you'll have to worry about is fans whining that we don't have a Tommie Frazier QB or quarterback system anymore.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Thompson won't be running much outside of scrambling and the occasional "QB wrap" play.

I think it's a safe bet that he won't, but the concern is what does the offense do without a QB run game? Frost relied on it and the results are abysmal.

Now we have to hope that an entire change in offensive philosophy - as well as roster changes at key positions - somehow mix into a successful cocktail. It's going to be difficult. 

43 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

2AM averaged 12.1 over his career at Nebraska and Logan Smothers ran it 24 times against Iowa. Thompson averaged 4.8 carries per game as a starter last season. 

I agree with your second point, we used our QB as an RB because the offense relied on it. Hopefully that changes with a QB that we hope is a better passer.

I'm simply skeptical that the offense can reliably change into a short passing attack or establish a meaningful run game from our RBs because the offensive line is so terrible.

You are correct on the 12.1 carries per game last year.  I forgot he didn't play in one game.

However, my point still stands.  We didn't "use him as an RB" as much as you want to think we did.  Months ago, someone had the stat on how many called running plays he actually had in a game and it was way below the 12.1 carries he actually had.  He had a lot of scrambles from passing plays each game.  That was because of a) he took too long to make decisions b) receivers weren't getting open or c) the line broke down and he didn't have time.  And, how many of those rushing attempts were actually sacks? 

All three of those could very well be improved this season.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
44 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

:dunno

I find this troubling to say the least.  Why not?   Does Frost not trust his staff?  Frost will really feel the heat if he ducks media and fans - his pressers have tended to be short and often a bit vague. Too many secrets > distrust > idle speculation and rumors.   Often those will be erroneous too.  He needs to address fans and media (fans) very often if he won’t let coaching staff address media.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I find this troubling to say the least.  Why not?   Does Frost not trust his staff?  Frost will really feel the heat if he ducks media and fans - his pressers have tended to be short and often a bit vague. Too many secrets > distrust > idle speculation and rumors.   Often those will be erroneous too.  He needs to address fans and media (fans) very often if he won’t let coaching staff address media.  

Ummm…..it didn’t say Frost wasn’t going to do press conferences. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

FYDTi9AUsAIDMJ2?format=jpg&name=900x900

Nebraska fans often don't realize that the fishbowl and amount of concentrated attention on our program is very unique. 

The only other school at B1G media days that maybe has as many or more media members covering is Ohio State - and that's a school that has been leaps and bounds better than us over the last 20 years, has triple the enrollment, and is in a city with almost 10x the population and a state with 5x.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Nebraska fans often don't realize that the fishbowl and amount of concentrated attention on our program is very unique. 

The only other school at B1G media days that maybe has as many or more media members covering is Ohio State - and that's a school that has been leaps and bounds better than us over the last 20 years, has triple the enrollment, and is in a city with almost 10x the population and a state with 5x.

So what.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

What?  Columbus = 889,079.  Lincoln = 286,388.

Where are you getting Columbus is 10x bigger than Lincoln?

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1