Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

I get why they took the assistant coach media availability away.  Not many programs have the assistant coaches speak to the media (and a lot don't even let coordinators talk during the season), so Nebraska was unique.  I do think you normally get a lot more candor out of the assistants then you did from Frost (who guards everything within the program like the nuclear codes). 

Bottom line is win and no one cares at all about this.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I get why they took the assistant coach media availability away.  Not many programs have the assistant coaches speak to the media (and a lot don't even let coordinators talk during the season), so Nebraska was unique.  I do think you normally get a lot more candor out of the assistants then you did from Frost (who guards everything within the program like the nuclear codes). 

Bottom line is win and no one cares at all about this.

I'd rather hear Mickey Joseph speak any day of the week but it is what it is.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I find this troubling to say the least.  Why not?   Does Frost not trust his staff?  Frost will really feel the heat if he ducks media and fans - his pressers have tended to be short and often a bit vague. Too many secrets > distrust > idle speculation and rumors.   Often those will be erroneous too.  He needs to address fans and media (fans) very often if he won’t let coaching staff address media.  

I didn’t catch the word ‘position’ coaches as opposed to ‘assistant’ coaches.  Glad the coordinators Chin, Whip & Busch?) will do pressers and meet with media etc) to get into specifics.  Fans want to know about their team and players.  It keeps a team that’s struggling from losing more fan and media support/interest etc.  That helps keep us in the CFB map and somewhat relevant.  Wins are great medicine but understanding who, what, where and why is what makes Nebraska football special.   We are not ‘casual’ Saturday fans, yet anyway.  Transparency is usually beneficial, especially when things aren’t going quite as you hoped.  Imo.  

5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I always view city populations by their metro areas personally

Even then, it's more like 6x. Not that it really matters much.

• Plus1 1

A bit of an extrapolation but ...

Raiola went through pretty much every scholarship guy (plus a few) and who was working at each position.  Unless I missed it, no one else was listed as working at RT behind Benhart.  It was the only position that didn't have at least two if not three guys listed as working there.

Not that someone couldn't get moved there - or isn't getting some reps there already.  But it really sounded like it's Benhart's job.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

A bit of an extrapolation but ...

Raiola went through pretty much every scholarship guy (plus a few) and who was working at each position.  Unless I missed it, no one else was listed as working at RT behind Benhart.  It was the only position that didn't have at least two if not three guys listed as working there.

Not that someone couldn't get moved there - or isn't getting some reps there already.  But it really sounded like it's Benhart's job.

Benhart had 'better' games at the end of the season I say that lightly but boy did he have some 'games' last year also where he flat out struggled.  If he's our RT then I really hope that after 3 seasons of experience and Raiola he plays better this year.  Sure would help us and CT or whomever is playing QB back there at the time also.

• Plus1 2

Banks is really another monster of a body. I would hope that the coaches could get him to a place where he's contributing because he's no doubt a strong kid that's built well.

I'll sip a tiny bit of Kool-Aid and hope that Benhart is a new player under the new coaching and another offseason of weight training.

I think I'm more concerned about the play at center.

40 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think I'm more concerned about the play at center.

With Benhart at RT, that pretty much means that we have Corcoran, Hixson and Piper as the most likely candidates for center.  Corcoran could also play LG along with whoever is not the RG among Bando, Lutovsky, Anthony and possibly Banks.  I feel pretty good that we can find some solid play among that many options on the interior.

• Plus1 2

With Raiola being a gentleman and very soft spoken when he speaks to reporters, it makes me want to know more!

But, I have a feeling that he will put out a good group, and possibly mix things up the first 3 games. We have some veterans, some older guys in the OL room and I really like that.