Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

OK, but here's the thing.  I get the talent he was playing against.  But, there were times on Saturday that he had time in the pocket to step into throws and they barely went 20 yards and were wounded ducks.  At FSU, he's doing it and his ball has zip on it.  

I get the plays where he's scrambling...etc.  Or if Minnesota's DBs are better and defended the pass.  But, the actual throws are totally different.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

OK, but here's the thing.  I get the talent he was playing against.  But, there were times on Saturday that he had time in the pocket to step into throws and they barely went 20 yards and were wounded ducks.  At FSU, he's doing it and his ball has zip on it.  

I get the plays where he's scrambling...etc.  Or if Minnesota's DBs are better and defended the pass.  But, the actual throws are totally different.

He could be hurt. They did say he was dealing with a knee injury in past weeks on the broadcast Saturday.

13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He could be hurt. They did say he was dealing with a knee injury in past weeks on the broadcast Saturday.

That's what I'm wondering.  If his knee is causing problems, maybe he can't use his legs to get power behind his throws.  Which.....leaves me banging my head as to why he's starting instead of Smothers even more....

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We're on pace to have our worst scoring offense since???

Points/game since 2011 (move to the B1G)

2011 #49 29.2

2012 #28 34.8

2013 #48 31.9

2014 #14 37.8

2015 #43 32.8

2016 #79 26.5

2017 #84 25.8

2018 #58 30.0

2019 #72 28.8

2020 <Covid, no non-con games>

2021#71 27.9

2022 #85 25.6

You almost got there:

2009 #75 25.1

• Plus1 1

Yea. If accurate that is a big factor.  If the average completed pass is a 9 yard gain,  the drop is like a nine yard penalty.  Instead of nearly getting a first and that’s a bunch of first downs lost.  A first down lost forces risky punts and results in lost field position, and is another 1:45 and 3 snaps lost as well.  All of which puts more pressure in the defense and STs and give snaps, time of possession and yardage and points to the opponent.  

Sometimes people don’t even think about these things.  A malfunctioning offense hurts the defense a bunch, both statistically and physically/mentally.  It hurts the entire team mentally.   Every bad play takes two better ones to make up for it essentially.  Incomplete passes are equivalent to a no gain running play in yardage but also do very little to fatigue the defense, unlike a running play which requires tackling.