Your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mavric

48 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Sure looks like Riley Moss from Iowa isn't having a good week going up against Trey Palmer.  Tough match up.  I wonder if Trey Palmer NFL draft stock is going up?

Palmer only measured at 6'0", but he was also one of the fastest players at the Senior Bowl.  I like that he is getting reps in the slot this week.  That's probably his position in the NFL, so he will need to show he has lateral quickness and route-running skills to go along with his straight-ahead speed.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Palmer only measured at 6'0", but he was also one of the fastest players at the Senior Bowl.  I like that he is getting reps in the slot this week.  That's probably his position in the NFL, so he will need to show he has lateral quickness and route-running skills to go along with his straight-ahead speed.

He reminds me of Odell Beckham Jr.  Odell I think played the slot with the Rams.  I don't know how much going to the Senior Bowl really improves your draft stock.  Yes I know they have scouts there but what I'm trying to say is if Palmer dominates the week could he move up to be drafted in the second round or higher??? Does the Senior Bowl have that much influence??

12 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

He reminds me of Odell Beckham Jr.  Odell I think played the slot with the Rams.  I don't know how much going to the Senior Bowl really improves your draft stock.  Yes I know they have scouts there but what I'm trying to say is if Palmer dominates the week could he move up to be drafted in the second round or higher??? Does the Senior Bowl have that much influence??

The Senior Bowl has lost influence recently, mainly because of the number of underclassmen who declare every year.  But, it is a good opportunity to make an impact on one or two teams who likes what a player shows in that week.  I know you like Palmer from him being a Husker, but I don't see the route running ability from Palmer that OBJ had coming out of college.  OBJ could run every route, and he was so quick in the middle of the field.  Palmer is FAST, but I don't see that quickness in his route-running.

From what I am seeing, Palmer's current grade has him in the 4th round.  It's possible that he may get drafted higher if he catches the eye of a team who has a vertical attack, who utilizes the slot route to get vertical.  Palmer's best routes are vertical routes, so he needs to be in an offense which does that.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Love me some Trey Palmer, and he will be in the league.  

I don't see him as a slot "short possession" WR.  I see him as a downfield mismatch, and that might only be 3-6 plays a game, regardless if the ball finds him or not.  He's got blazing speed and can catch it down field.  But also, he is good with bubble screens.  

My fair criticism of him is that he can't do underneath stuff because he doesn't catch the mid-range passes that need to be caught.  I don't know if it's because there is traffic in the middle of the field that get's into his head, knowing he could be/might be hit.  But we all seen it this year, and him having alligator arms on basic mid-level routes.  So I don't think that whoever drafts him will put him in that position.  Running a quick screen or all-out downfield skinny post is in his wheelhouse.  The NFL will do that with him.  He will get drafted, be on a team, have a role, and can be happy with it.  Even if it's a designated small role.

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, admo said:

Love me some Trey Palmer, and he will be in the league.  

I don't see him as a slot "short possession" WR.  I see him as a downfield mismatch, and that might only be 3-6 plays a game, regardless if the ball finds him or not.  He's got blazing speed and can catch it down field.  But also, he is good with bubble screens.  

My fair criticism of him is that he can't do underneath stuff because he doesn't catch the mid-range passes that need to be caught.  I don't know if it's because there is traffic in the middle of the field that get's into his head, knowing he could be/might be hit.  But we all seen it this year, and him having alligator arms on basic mid-level routes.  So I don't think that whoever drafts him will put him in that position.  Running a quick screen or all-out downfield skinny post is in his wheelhouse.  The NFL will do that with him.  He will get drafted, be on a team, have a role, and can be happy with it.  Even if it's a designated small role.

I see Palmer in an MVS, Zay Jones, Gabe Davis, Allen Lazard, or Tyler Boyd type role. Good to attack with when the opponents are worried about bigger-named receivers, while also consistently giving you downfield looks. Paired with a big arm and Palmer could be something special. Palmer on the Chargers would be interesting, as they have Keenan Allen and Mike Williams more as possession receivers with Herbert's incredible arm strength.