Tangent Thread - Run the Damn Ball!!!

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It’s not really the # of passes vs runs as it the pass vs run YRDS and the number of first downs and time of possession and plays per TD drive and the yards per point scored.  If you rush for over 300 yards per game, you will win atleast 75% of your games. At 400 ypg the win % jumps to 90% plus.  
Your red zone scoring goes up too!

Your defense gets better too.  

Stop the run first, is the first rule of defense.   Make the opponent one dimensional (pass) then hit the QB until he doesn’t get up anymore.
AND Celebrate the wins!   

Glad you posted this. But you need to walk through it.

It has never been a secret that teams who rush for 200 or 300 yards win a large percentage of those games. That's a stone-cold fact in both college and the NFL. And nobody is ignoring that fact. 

That's why "stop the run first" is the first rule of defense, just like you mention. 

That's why teams who scheme against the run -- or bring better faster athletes than the guys you ran over the last game -- can shut down the running game. 

So now you can't "stick with what's working!" because it's not working in that situation. You will need to pass. It helps if you believe that passing is a valuable tool, rather than a sign of weakness or panic. 

Successful teams can beat other teams either running or passing, depending on what the defense shows. See the history of Nebraska vs. Wisconsin. Actually, just watch any team more successful than Nebraska. If you want a common thread, it's the offensive line. 

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

there was only one team this year that average 300+ yards a game and that was Army.  They went 9-3.

^ with a strength of schedule that barely cracked the top 100: https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/resume/sort/resume.avgsosrank/dir/asc

As opposed to Nebraska's, at #7...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It’s not really the # of passes vs runs as it the pass vs run YRDS and the number of first downs and time of possession and plays per TD drive and the yards per point scored.  If you rush for over 300 yards per game, you will win atleast 75% of your games. At 400 ypg the win % jumps to 90% plus.  
Your red zone scoring goes up too!

Your defense gets better too.  

Stop the run first, is the first rule of defense.   Make the opponent one dimensional (pass) then hit the QB until he doesn’t get up anymore.
AND Celebrate the wins!   

First, you are now arguing a completely different point than you originally stated.

Second, your standards are unrealistic to the point of being laughable.

Exactly ONE team ran the ball for 300+ yards per game this year.

Exactly TWO teams even ran the ball for 250+ yards per game this year.

Only 25 teams even ran the ball for 200+ yards per game this year.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Just speaking the truth.  It’s not good or bad.  Just reality.   Unfortunate as it is.   Frost has apparently dumped the offensive mess on his new hires saying essentially - you guys take over - I don’t know what to.   That is the worst take I think I’ve ever heard come from a $4 million dollar a year head football coach.  I have been a disappointed supporter until today.  When I read what MJ said and reports of this Frost hand washing, it was the last straw.  For a guy whose entire life has been football, living and playing around many of the very best players and coaches, how can anyone take anything positive from that.  Why didn’t he resign?   

So it’s the last straw for you that he is following the requirements made by Trev for his new negotiated deal? This has been the plan for a month! The main worry was that he wouldn’t turn the offense over to the new guys. This is what they got hired for!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

On 12/15/2021 at 1:08 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's absolutely ridiculous that Nebraska's top running back had only 112 carries for 495 yards, while the two QBs got 180 carries for 650 yards, and the breakthrough RB who was averaging 6.3 yards per carry spent most of the season in a doghouse on the sideline. 

We have to start running our running game through the running backs. A mobile QB would be awesome, but a great decision-making QB would be better. And hey, why not both?

Point being there's a big gulf between a pass happy offense and a return to the triple option, and that's where most smart team's operate. 

Exactly.  Well said.   Bravo.  Hope the pass happy types don’t attack you.  Lol.  

Personally,  I don't care how we matriculate the ball down the field.  All runs, all throws, any combination of the two...winning is what is most important.  That is what gets lost in these trash takes.

Everyone here wants to see us run.  It's counter-productive to mash the ball up the guards backside for 1-2 yards 3 straight times.  

A good offensive coordinator runs plays that best suit his team.  Not what best suits his ego.  Frost hired a guy that does the former,  not the latter.   Frost was an ego playcaller, whip puts his players in position to be successful.  

We will run the damn ball, and be better at it than we were last year.  We will also throw it...and probably be more efficient in that area as well.

Nebraska55fan's brother is crazy.

• Plus1 3

If we are actually going after Chubba Purdy, I think (hoping) we will see a more "balanced" offense that will still have elements of 2021 with the QB runs, option etc...Maybe Whip never had a dual use QB.  He was in contact with Purdy while at Pitt...  I'd assume with a guy of his knowledge base he could find the way to fold a dual use guy into his scheme to actually make it better.  "The whole he uses what he has"  "Identifies the ballers on O and designs the O around the ply makers".   really think that we had a dud staff on O (save Beck) for the past 4 years.  Really no idea how to grade the quality of the guys we have in light of their coaches.  D seemed to develop and improve every year.

10 hours ago, lo country said:

If we are actually going after Chubba Purdy, I think (hoping) we will see a more "balanced" offense that will still have elements of 2021 with the QB runs, option etc...Maybe Whip never had a dual use QB.  He was in contact with Purdy while at Pitt...  I'd assume with a guy of his knowledge base he could find the way to fold a dual use guy into his scheme to actually make it better.  "The whole he uses what he has"  "Identifies the ballers on O and designs the O around the ply makers".   really think that we had a dud staff on O (save Beck) for the past 4 years.  Really no idea how to grade the quality of the guys we have in light of their coaches.  D seemed to develop and improve every year.

This reeks of rileys montra, look what he did with corvallis what could he do here thinkg.  I know your quoting, just want to throw up every time i think of that stupid attempt to lift up the lame duck we had here for 3 years.

1 hour ago, Stone Cold said:

This reeks of rileys montra, look what he did with corvallis what could he do here thinkg.  I know your quoting, just want to throw up every time i think of that stupid attempt to lift up the lame duck we had here for 3 years.

7 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

Wasn't there another coach who supposedly could do that?

I am just trying to feel better about the hire.  Whip seems like a good hire on paper, but I do not like his scheme.  Unsure how previous stops will translate to wins at NU.  I am a "run the damn ball guy".  I just do not see that with Whip. Maybe I am wrong.  Hence the quotes related to comments on him.  Still no RB coach has me concerned that we are sacrificing that position to a degree.  The whole "they are in a bowl or in the NFL" sounds about as assuring as "he does so much more with less" or even the quotes I had mentioned concerning Whip.  Something to make us feel better about an average hire.  The problem is the worst coach we had in my lifetime in Riley, has coached circles around the hire I loved in Frost.....Hopefully this is the staff that finally puts it all together.  Get a guy like Joseph who preaches attention to the big things as there are no small things in football.  In the end, that's why we play the game.