Tangent Thread - Run the Damn Ball!!!

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

But they're still runs. The point for the run the ball people, is that we do run the ball an overwhelming majority of the time. Scheme and run/pass ratio are not the problem. It's development and coaching, as it has been for a long time.

The run the ball crowd also wants to cherry pick stats for their narrative; and ignore the context of recruiting, transfers, and what was inherited. Frost started with nothing, we now have the talent, and conditioning to compete with anyone, but lack the coaching/development.

Your last sentence is why I have hope a good coach could turn this thing around quickly should we need to move on.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

But they're still runs. The point for the run the ball people, is that we do run the ball an overwhelming majority of the time. Scheme and run/pass ratio are not the problem. It's development and coaching, as it has been for a long time.

The run the ball crowd also wants to cherry pick stats for their narrative; and ignore the context of recruiting, transfers, and what was inherited. Frost started with nothing, we now have the talent, and conditioning to compete with anyone, but lack the coaching/development.

Cherry-pick? 3-9. 23 pts per game. That's not cherry-picking. That's cold, hard reality. 

Just now, Jeremy said:

Cherry-pick? 3-9. 23 pts per game. That's not cherry-picking. That's cold, hard reality. 

In your reality it's cold and hard but you live in the last millenium. I'd encourage you this off-season to study college football as a whole and it might change your opinion of how to succeed.  Running the ball 75% of the time ain't it.

Even Wisconsin is trying to throw the ball more in recruiting Mertz.  You need balance, period.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

It's year 4.  That excuse is getting tired (not aimed at you).  What year did we go 5-7?  Who were the vast majority of players recruited by and who did they play for?  We are not talking year 2 with Frost.  If we blame Riley for Frost, then can we blame Frost for well Frost?

To development and coaching, there has been little to none on the offensive side.  D we have some depth and some obvious signs of improvement.  Can't say the same thing for the O.  And Frost was the head dude over that unit for the past 4 years.  Wan'dale is a specific example of this.  Not him, but the fact we had multiple RB's on the roster and he gets "moved" too RB.  Guy set it off today at the bowl game.  TBH, I expect AM to do something similar at KSU. 

I am optimistic that Whip has shown success with QB's (at least 2) that people have heard of.  Same with Joseph and the WR's.  Still interested in the RB coach.  As a RTDBG, maybe the whole problem (for me) has been the complete lack of a bell cow RB since Oz moved on.  And again, he wasn't the starter until game 3 IIRC.  Again, a very small sample, but 3 teams in the CFP had RB's over 1000 yrds.  UGA had 1 at 650 and 1 at 770.  Throw in another for over 300 and 3 more over 200 yrds.  Running effectively (from other than the QB spot) would be a huge win for me. Regardless of scheme.   

Watching bowl games over the holidays drives home the fact that we are missing a bowl for the 5th year, missing the extra 12-15 practices it would have gotten us and what Nebraska used to look like with some of the better teams playing. ie complete in all 3 phases, physical, bowling. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Watching Utah/OSU if we could recruit receivers and QB's like these two teams, I am all N to not even use a RB.  Guys are putting on a clinic.

Kinda cool to see QB’s lead scoring drives at the end of games.  Must be nice to have on a team. Heck even a walk on freshmen who’s never thrown a pass did 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Kinda cool to see QB’s lead scoring drives at the end of games.  Must be nice to have on a team. Heck even a walk on freshmen who’s never thrown a pass did 

No doubt.  I look at the whole "most dangerous 3-9" team in the country or the losses by one score or less and watch these bowl games with ranked teams and I have to admit, we "look" further away than the one score games would show.  I have no idea (maybe defense) how we stayed within one score.  Hoping that somehow the new staff can tap into whatever voodoo or magic that we used to be in the one score games make even half of them into one score wins.  The fact we could actually beat a ranked team or one with a winning record would be huge for the team and new staff right off the bat.  Might be what the sorcerer ordered to break the curse.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

It's year 4.  That excuse is getting tired (not aimed at you).  What year did we go 5-7?  Who were the vast majority of players recruited by and who did they play for?  We are not talking year 2 with Frost.  If we blame Riley for Frost, then can we blame Frost for well Frost?

To development and coaching, there has been little to none on the offensive side.  D we have some depth and some obvious signs of improvement.  Can't say the same thing for the O.  And Frost was the head dude over that unit for the past 4 years.  Wan'dale is a specific example of this.  Not him, but the fact we had multiple RB's on the roster and he gets "moved" too RB.  Guy set it off today at the bowl game.  TBH, I expect AM to do something similar at KSU. 

I am optimistic that Whip has shown success with QB's (at least 2) that people have heard of.  Same with Joseph and the WR's.  Still interested in the RB coach.  As a RTDBG, maybe the whole problem (for me) has been the complete lack of a bell cow RB since Oz moved on.  And again, he wasn't the starter until game 3 IIRC.  Again, a very small sample, but 3 teams in the CFP had RB's over 1000 yrds.  UGA had 1 at 650 and 1 at 770.  Throw in another for over 300 and 3 more over 200 yrds.  Running effectively (from other than the QB spot) would be a huge win for me. Regardless of scheme.   

Watching bowl games over the holidays drives home the fact that we are missing a bowl for the 5th year, missing the extra 12-15 practices it would have gotten us and what Nebraska used to look like with some of the better teams playing. ie complete in all 3 phases, physical, bowling. 

Is it an excuse if it's reality? We haven't had a line worth a crap since Frost has been here. RBs have been a rotating s#!t show like you said. WRs were abismal last season, but we've finally brought in some decent talent this season. Special teams... I mean fix that alone and were probably a .500 team. All the coaches have been fired from the under performing areas with the exception of special teams. We've got talent, so it has to be coaching...

On 12/31/2021 at 2:44 PM, ZRod said:

You guys do know that power football isn't run exclusive out of multiple back formations under center, right? We run power, and depending on the team we are playing we run it quite regularly. We pull the center, guards, tackles, and tight ends to act as lead blockers. We also motion TEs, WRs, and RBs into an H back position as lead blockers. That's power football. Just because it's not I formation doesn't mean it's not power.

Man, I don't know. 

Do you have any examples of Frost calling power runs regularly?

Sometimes we would pull a guy as a kick out blocker but I don't remember there also being a lead blocker.  

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Is it an excuse if it's reality? We haven't had a line worth a crap since Frost has been here. RBs have been a rotating s#!t show like you said. WRs were abismal last season, but we've finally brought in some decent talent this season. Special teams... I mean fix that alone and were probably a .500 team. All the coaches have been fired from the under performing areas with the exception of special teams. We've got talent, so it has to be coaching...

I guess I look at Frost's best season was year 1.  If the previous staff did so poorly, why did he perform "his best" with other guys kids (save AM).  It shouldn't take a coach year 5 to get to a winning record.  And that should concern everyone.  Throw in the fact that most fans could see that the O was a s#!t show each year and getting worse, that it took our HC, a recognized offensive guru, year 5 and 4 losing seasons to finally make that change.  This is the record Frost earned.  This team is his.  That is where I am at.  Again, if it wasn't Frost not one person could still defend him.  

5 years with no bowl games.....Kids we are recruiting now and last year have never seen the Huskers in a bowl.  That's got to change.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, runningblind said:

In your reality it's cold and hard but you live in the last millenium. I'd encourage you this off-season to study college football as a whole and it might change your opinion of how to succeed.  Running the ball 75% of the time ain't it.

Even Wisconsin is trying to throw the ball more in recruiting Mertz.  You need balance, period.

In this millennium, we have zero conference championships trying to be 'balanced.' 

Wisconsin can throw a little bit because they have Allen running behind some great blockers to batter defenses and get them in the box.

They can throw because they establish the run. That scheme has been around as long as the forward pass itself.