Tangent Thread - Run the Damn Ball!!!

5 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

In this millennium, we have zero conference championships trying to be 'balanced.' 

Wisconsin can throw a little bit because they have Allen running behind some great blockers to batter defenses and get them in the box.

They can throw because they establish the run. That scheme has been around as long as the forward pass itself. 

Well I can guarantee you we would never win the conference in another millennium running what you want to run. 

Agree to disagree.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Don't some of you get tired of repeating the same thing over and over and over... Omg. We suck, its terrible, the sky is falling woe is me. 

If football makes you this miserable, you probably should find some new hobbies. 

On the other hand, if you love football, you'd want your favorite football team to play much, much, much better. 

• Plus1 3

15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Kinda cool to see QB’s lead scoring drives at the end of games.  Must be nice to have on a team. Heck even a walk on freshmen who’s never thrown a pass did 

That was a pretty exciting game. I don't know if there should be an asterisk next to all those passing records OSU set, but I just read that Utah was missing four cornerbacks, and was starting a guy in the secondary who  had been a running back all season. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Exactly. But that doesn't make your case that Nebraska can't recruit guys who throw and catch, so we should go all in on the run. 

You're half right. We have recruited some guys that can catch the ball.

What we haven't gotten is a guy that wins games by throwing the ball very well, nor have we recruited guys to protect him. 

I mean c'mon. It's been 7 years now. Do you see a Kenny Pickett on our roster? 5 star offensive tackles? 

It just ain’t gonna happen. 

1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

Being able to throw and doing it effectively are two different things. I don't think Wisconsin did so effectively. QB stats show very meh performance.

True. However, they are absolutely committed to running the ball, and doing so effectively. 

This is what I want. 

47 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

The last power 5 team to run the ball 70% or more (besides Georgia tech) was west Virginia in 2006 when they had Slaton and white.  Apparently "run the ball" guys know more than the coaches of today. Maybe they should apply for head coaching jobs!

Who cares what everyone else is doing? Are we going to win doing the same thing as everyone else? 

Did Osborne care about the offense that Florida State was running?

The coaches in Lincoln went 3-9. That record speaks for itself. 

54 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

The last power 5 team to run the ball 70% or more (besides Georgia tech) was west Virginia in 2006 when they had Slaton and white.  Apparently "run the ball" guys know more than the coaches of today. Maybe they should apply for head coaching jobs!

That was the advent of zone-read wasn’t it?

I don’t remember White going under center much.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

You're half right. We have recruited some guys that can catch the ball.

What we haven't gotten is a guy that wins games by throwing the ball very well, nor have we recruited guys to protect him. 

I mean c'mon. It's been 7 years now. Do you see a Kenny Pickett on our roster? 5 star offensive tackles? 

It just ain’t gonna happen. 

For 11 of the past 12 years, Nebraska has committed itself to dual threat quarterbacks who wouldn't be allowed to play quarterback at most P5 programs.

You are suggesting we stick with that approach because it's the best we can expect. 

I know I said I wasn't gonna post anymore in this thread, but NU ran the ball 55% of offensive plays in 2021, which was in the 40s in the country. I would also argue  that if NU was leading more in the 4th quarter of games, that percentage would probably be closer to 60%. I'm just curious how that running the ball over half the offensive plays is a "pass happy" offense. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know I said I wasn't gonna post anymore in this thread, but NU ran the ball 55% of offensive plays in 2021, which was in the 40s in the country. I would also argue  that if NU was leading more in the 4th quarter of games, that percentage would probably be closer to 60%. I'm just curious how that running the ball over half the offensive plays is a "pass happy" offense. 

It's kind of funny that we only get to that 55% because were were so bad at passing (sacks and scrambles count as running plays even though they're just broken pass plays).  We had lots of sacks and scrambles. 

In terms of playcalling, Frost's offense is, without question, a pass heavy offense.  That's easy enough to see if you watch the games.  I don't know how one would define "pass happy", especially since it's such a sad sight.

One thing that Frost and Whipple's offense have in common is they're very lackluster offenses until you have a QB that's playing at a very high level (Milton for Frost, Pickett for Whipple).   The next time Nebraska has a QB passing the ball at that level will be the first time Nebraska has a QB passing the ball at that level.  I don't see why it's so difficult to comprehend that going back to being a run heavy smashmouth team could benefit Nebraska. 

• Thanks 3
12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

For 11 of the past 12 years, Nebraska has committed itself to dual threat quarterbacks who wouldn't be allowed to play quarterback at most P5 programs.

You are suggesting we stick with that approach because it's the best we can expect. 

Yes and no.

In the Flexbone model, there is way less pressure on the QB to be a dual-threat because he’s one of 4 in the backfield that the ball could be going to. It's a BIG difference from what we're doing now when nearly everything is dependent upon the QB and the myriad of decisions he has to make on any given play.

A Flexbone QB has to make quick decisions, but there are less of them, and they're easier. 

Since not as much is expected of the QB, the general trend is that backups can come in and be nearly as effective as the starter if needed.

A QB running the Flexbone is not even close to the same as what Frost has tried to do the last 4 years. 

• Fire 1