Tangent Thread - Run the Damn Ball!!!

6 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We tended to run out the 4th qtrs cause people accused Tom of running up the score a few times as well.  Gosh, it’s been a long time since we had to worry about running up the scores.  Lately, it’s been kind of the other way and hoping we don’t get embarrassed ourselves.  

Yes, an unlimited scholarship allotment, amazing strength & conditioning (steroids), and great coaching and development enabled NU to be much better than nearly every opponent they faced back then. They basically had a 2-4 game season each year.

13 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, an unlimited scholarship allotment, amazing strength & conditioning (steroids), and great coaching and development enabled NU to be much better than nearly every opponent they faced back then. They basically had a 2-4 game season each year.

And why?   Not because everybody else wasn’t trying certainly.  The S&C advantages were there starting in the early mid 1970s and got better for a few years but others were not simply sitting still.  Still, Tom realized a change of schemes offensively and defensively were a must.  The 1980s and 1990s thru the Solich era, is just too clear and convincing evidence that NOT following the mob worked for Nebraska.  Nebraska is not like the rest of the blue bloods around the country (see the school song).  We have always been the exception comparative to most other football schools.  

Can Frost get it done his way?  I don’t think it is impossible but it’s not the easiest path imo. 

• Plus1 1

I did not watch the Bama vs Ga game tonight but a quick look at the stats suggests the best rushing team with strong defense and STs prevailed.  Both teams seemed to want to rely on the forward pass but found scoring in the opponents’ end of the field was tough.  Lots of FGs and few TDs.  

But GA had the better run game easily, stats indicate.  And best run defense.  

I didn’t see the first Bama-Ga game in which Bama seemed to score at will but this was predictable so two SEC teams get the preferred playoff and title game spots.  I am gonna speculate that Bama got away with holding and other officiating help to pull off such an anomalous win.  

Run the ball and stop the run. Avoid turnovers (esp ugly interceptions) and control field position and time of possession.  Physical domination via tough, hard nosed, 4 qtrs play.  Live by the pass, die by it.  

Bama did have the time of possession edge and I might guess Ga coaches would have run the ball more in hindsight.    Total yardage was a slight edge to Bama but rush yards are more valuable than pass so GA actually had the better offensive and defensive games.  Both teams kicking appear to have offset basically. I didn’t look punting and ave starting field position.  Bama’s FG kicker was the player of the game, not their heisman winner QB, it would appear.  

I’ll be interested in anyone who watched the game to see how close my stat line summary described how the game went.  

GA has one dam good defense - a defense aided by offense and STs strategies that work as a three legged stool.  

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I did not watch the Bama vs Ga game tonight but a quick look at the stats suggests the best rushing team with strong defense and STs prevailed.  Both teams seemed to want to rely on the forward pass but found scoring in the opponents’ end of the field was tough.  Lots of FGs and few TDs.  

I didn’t see the first Bama-Ga game in which Bama seemed to score at will but this was predictable so two SEC teams get the preferred playoff and title game spots.  I am gonna speculate that Bama got away with holding and other officiating help to pull off such an anomalous win.  

Run the ball and stop the run. Avoid turnovers (esp ugly interceptions) and control field position and time of possession.  Physical domination via tough, hard nosed, 4 qtrs play.  Live by the pass, die by it.  

Bama did have the time of possession edge and I might guess Ga coaches would have run the ball more in hindsight.    Total yardage was a slight edge to Bama but rush yards are more valuable than pass so GA actually had the better offensive and defensive games.  Both teams kicking appear to have offset basically. I didn’t look punting and ave starting field position.  Bama’s FG kicker was the player of the game, not their heisman winner QB, it would appear.  

I’ll be interested in anyone who watched the game to see how close my stat line summary described how the game went.  

GA has one dam good defense - a defense aided by offense and STs strategies that work as a three legged stool.  

Neither team was too committed to running the ball and had trouble running it. A couple big plays here and there. Defenses were both stout up front.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I didn't watch the movie the Perfect Storm, but I bet it was about tornados.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

54 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Um, the two teams combined for 92 pass attempts for 761 yards and 6 touchdowns.  It was a great game, very entertaining.  Georgia's leading rusher had 11 carries for 38 yards, while Alabama's top rusher had 16 carries for 55 yards.  Run the ball guy would have screamed, but I loved it :)  Both teams played to win it, and not chew clock for 2 halves.  Had they tried doing that instead, I would have changed the channel.  

And for the record, there were only 2 holding calls all game.  Both on running plays.

2 hours ago, admo said:

Um, the two teams combined for 92 pass attempts for 761 yards and 6 touchdowns.  It was a great game, very entertaining.  Georgia's leading rusher had 11 carries for 38 yards, while Alabama's top rusher had 16 carries for 55 yards.  Run the ball guy would have screamed, but I loved it :)  Both teams played to win it, and not chew clock for 2 halves.  Had they tried doing that instead, I would have changed the channel.  

And for the record, there were only 2 holding calls all game.  Both on running plays.

Stats from the first game obviously and the holding calls on two run plays exactly what I thot.  Obviously you disadvantage the defense when your O line leads the game in tackles.  Lol.  92 pass attempts by two teams vs two of the better defenses in the country but no holding calls.     Ga didn’t run it much.   

Beauty always in the eye of the beholder so if you like to watch passing, fine.  Apparently many fans do.  But a lot of Neb fans enjoy the run game and love a great RB the most I suppose.  We also Very much enjoy winning.  

Two things from the game that made me think about the Huskers.

a). Neither team would have been in the game without a good kicker.  The entire first half was nothing but field goals that kept both teams in the game when their offense stalled in the red zone.

b). Both QBs struggled when they were pressured.  Pressure takes the QB out of rhythm and prevents them from having time to go through their reads.  

Both of these issues were major problems for the Huskers all year.  Hopefully, they take a major step in fixing them this year.

• Plus1 1
Just now, lo country said:

Both of those teams had elite talent at every position.  ST play was solid.  And really helps to win games.  Being able to get to the QB is paramount to have success.  We are no where close to those teams.  

One thing I found interesting was that Alabama's right tackle gave up a few sacks and there were comments that they struggled at that position all year.  Really good tackles are one of the hardest positions to find.  It's like a good pass rusher.

8 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Makes complete sense to leave a long summary on something you didn't watch as it obviously should have supported your opinion...  smh.  

I wasn't interested in either team but watched because I thought it might be a great game.  Glad I did.  Plenty of cool story lines and a lot of great, very physical, football.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Makes complete sense to leave a long summary on something you didn't watch as it obviously should have supported your opinion...  smh.  

I wasn't interested in either team but watched because I thought it might be a great game.  Glad I did.  Plenty of cool story lines and a lot of great, very physical, football.  

I agree 100%. If I learned anything last night is that Defensive Line may be the most important position in football. The defensive lines controlled that game and it took elite level passing and receiving on a few of the big plays to separate the two teams. Happy for the walk on from Georgia. Very cool story. 

• Plus1 3
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

One thing I found interesting was that Alabama's right tackle gave up a few sacks and there were comments that they struggled at that position all year.  Really good tackles are one of the hardest positions to find.  It's like a good pass rusher.

No doubt. Gotta be able to move very quickly.  If you are not banging up against a DT, you are having to get outside on a heat seeking missile or a guy on a delayed blitz.  Both D's seem to have some pretty exotic blitz schemes last night.  BUt as you mentioned, a good edge guy....