Jump to content


Tangent Thread - Run the Damn Ball!!!


Recommended Posts


19 minutes ago, lo country said:

Watching Wisky run some I-formation with a FB for the score....And see their list of great RB's...And wonder why we don't  start copying Wisky to be back to us.  And yes, I'd take Wiskys scheme and record over our past 20 years.  Power running, solid route running and using the TE a lot wins...(OL helps a lot).  

I get the sentiment but you are witnessing Wisconsins ceiling (not that there is anything wrong with that, admirable).  That isn't going to win you the conference or make the playoff and that is where we still want to be someday, foolish or not.  I'm fine with having goals still.

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, runningblind said:

I get the sentiment but you are witnessing Wisconsins ceiling (not that there is anything wrong with that, admirable).  That isn't going to win you the conference or make the playoff and that is where we still want to be someday, foolish or not.  I'm fine with having goals still.

We are in the basement.  And have been for years...I'd take their "ceiling" as a start for sure.  Build from there.  Frost is 0-4 against them.  0-4 against Iowa.  0-2 against Michigan, 1-3 against Purdue,  and on and on and on.  Whatever we are doing is not (and has not) worked for years.  Go back to something that resembles Nebraska football.  

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, lo country said:

We are in the basement.  And have been for years...I'd take their "ceiling" as a start for sure.  Build from there.  Frost is 0-4 against them.  0-4 against Iowa.  0-2 against Michigan, 1-3 against Purdue,  and on and on and on.  Whatever we are doing is not (and has not) worked for years.  Go back to something that resembles Nebraska football.  

I as much as anyone love the “power running” game. If you look at the successful teams in the Big 10, they are pretty boring, except OSU. Iowa, Wiscy, Minn….all in West have ave qb at best, built on great oline play, good-great to (depending on team), TE play, which allows for good play action or passing game, all predicated on successful running philosophy. Also, really, really good defense.  
 

With that said, SF appears to be set on staying with what he knows from a coaching standpoint, which is not a power run game. Whipple is also a pass first guy, so regardless of what “we” want or think, it isn’t happening.

Link to comment

You guys do know that power football isn't run exclusive out of multiple back formations under center, right? We run power, and depending on the team we are playing we run it quite regularly. We pull the center, guards, tackles, and tight ends to act as lead blockers. We also motion TEs, WRs, and RBs into an H back position as lead blockers. That's power football. Just because it's not I formation doesn't mean it's not power.

 

 

 

  • Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

13 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You guys do know that power football isn't run exclusive out of multiple back formations under center, right? We run power, and depending on the team we are playing we run it quite regularly. We pull the center, guards, tackles, and tight ends to act as lead blockers. We also motion TEs, WRs, and RBs into an H back position as lead blockers. That's power football. Just because it's not I formation doesn't mean it's not power.

 

 

 

Yes, I have been a head coach for 24 years and we operate our power run based offense from our pistol base, using H and pulls, etc…. I am stating that anyone looking for an I formation or even older, Maryland I aren’t getting it. Furthermore, the main point is that we are going to throw the ball more than ever if history is a predictor, bc that is what Whipple’s offenses have traditionally done. His run - pass ratio is more pass heavy than we have seen here to this point. That was what I was trying to get at.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You guys do know that power football isn't run exclusive out of multiple back formations under center, right? We run power, and depending on the team we are playing we run it quite regularly. We pull the center, guards, tackles, and tight ends to act as lead blockers. We also motion TEs, WRs, and RBs into an H back position as lead blockers. That's power football. Just because it's not I formation doesn't mean it's not power.

 

 

 

Lining up in shotgun on the goal line isn’t power…at least successful power football.(regardless of who is pulling or put in motion)  I hope Whipple changes this and will be happy when the Frost power in goal line situations is over. I can’t imagine it being worse. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

You guys do know that power football isn't run exclusive out of multiple back formations under center, right? We run power, and depending on the team we are playing we run it quite regularly. We pull the center, guards, tackles, and tight ends to act as lead blockers. We also motion TEs, WRs, and RBs into an H back position as lead blockers. That's power football. Just because it's not I formation doesn't mean it's not power.

 

 

 

We're very well aware of what they've TRIED to do. But we're 3-9, and Martinez was our leading rusher with 60 yds a game. Whatever that running scheme is...ain't working. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, lo country said:

We are in the basement.  And have been for years...I'd take their "ceiling" as a start for sure.  Build from there.  Frost is 0-4 against them.  0-4 against Iowa.  0-2 against Michigan, 1-3 against Purdue,  and on and on and on.  Whatever we are doing is not (and has not) worked for years.  Go back to something that resembles Nebraska football.  

 

Wisconsin averaged 4.84 yards per rush this year.

Nebraska averaged 4.41.

 

Wisconsin got about an extra foot each time they ran the ball.

 

Meanwhile, Wisconsin averaged 6.9 yards per pass attempt, good for #94 in the country.

Nebraska averaged 9.3, good for sixth in the country, tied with some team named Alabama - with a QB many wanted to get rid of.

 

I think I'm fine trading one foot per rushing attempt for nearly two-and-a-half yards per passing attempt.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, HANC said:

Yes, I have been a head coach for 24 years and we operate our power run based offense from our pistol base, using H and pulls, etc…. I am stating that anyone looking for an I formation or even older, Maryland I aren’t getting it. Furthermore, the main point is that we are going to throw the ball more than ever if history is a predictor, bc that is what Whipple’s offenses have traditionally done. His run - pass ratio is more pass heavy than we have seen here to this point. That was what I was trying to get at.

I'm really curious to see what our offense becomes next year. I fight it really hard to believe Frost is going to scrap what he knows completely and hand it over to Whipple, but maybe he will. We're built to do whatever right now.

 

1 hour ago, KCBuc said:

Lining up in shotgun on the goal line isn’t power…at least successful power football.(regardless of who is pulling or put in motion)  I hope Whipple changes this and will be happy when the Frost power in goal line situations is over. I can’t imagine it being worse. 

By definition it's power if we have a lead blocker.

 

I think we scored a rushing TD over half the time we were in the redzone and average almost two rushing TDs per game.

 

48 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We're very well aware of what they've TRIED to do. But we're 3-9, and Martinez was our leading rusher with 60 yds a game. Whatever that running scheme is...ain't working. 

It's never been a scheme issue, and the O line coach being fired is a big indicator of that.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

26 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'm really curious to see what our offense becomes next year. I fight it really hard to believe Frost is going to scrap what he knows completely and hand it over to Whipple, but maybe he will. We're built to do whatever right now.

 

By definition it's power if we have a lead blocker.

 

I think we scored a rushing TD over half the time we were in the redzone and average almost two rushing TDs per game.

 

It's never been a scheme issue, and the O line coach being fired is a big indicator of that.

I agree. I can’t believe that SF will just say: “take over, run whatever you would like”.

Link to comment

Watching Bama and UGA, you need to be able to pass the ball down field to have a chance to beat them, and your TE needs to be a threat in the passing game. Used to be a run the ball guy, but if we are to eventually step up in competition we need to be able to throw the ball.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Watching Bama and UGA, you need to be able to pass the ball down field to have a chance to beat them, and your TE needs to be a threat in the passing game. Used to be a run the ball guy, but if we are to eventually step up in competition we need to be able to throw the ball.

We have the top ranked TE in last years class, so let’s get him healthy and get to work. Georgia’s TE was ranked 5th I believe.

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

Wisconsin averaged 4.84 yards per rush this year.

Nebraska averaged 4.41.

 

Wisconsin got about an extra foot each time they ran the ball.

 

Meanwhile, Wisconsin averaged 6.9 yards per pass attempt, good for #94 in the country.

Nebraska averaged 9.3, good for sixth in the country, tied with some team named Alabama - with a QB many wanted to get rid of.

 

I think I'm fine trading one foot per rushing attempt for nearly two-and-a-half yards per passing attempt.

Yep.  That 3-9 vs 9-4 record really showed them.....And actually 2.28 feet (almost 1 yard more/rush) Take away Fordham yardage (329) and how do we look? We also added another 427 against Northwestern.  Those 2 games can really skew our stats.  And if you are even remotely trying to say our passing game is anywhere near Bama in efficiency.....Bama 12th in red zone...NU 107...Our offense sucks where it counts.  In the W-L column.  

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...