Spring Game - April 9th @ 1:00

Mavric

1 hour ago, Farms said:

You mean as in if he’ll play guard or RT?

Corcoran will be RT.

Prochazka LT

Nouili LG

Hixson C

KWilliams RG

Corcoran RT

Nouili, Williams, Hixson and Lutovsky played well between the tackles.  Bando, Banks, Miller, I.Boerkircher (C with the 2's), Benhart and H.Anthony (RT with 2's) not so much.  Piper (C) out with injury.

I can see depth being Benhart, Lutovsky, Piper.  Could use some portal help IMO

• Plus1 1

Based on the discussion, it sounds like most agree with me that we are at least 5 or 6 good O linemen short.  It’s numbers.  A roster of 150 + should have around 25-30 is O line and 6 or so at each of the defensive line spots.  Then rotate your 1s and 2s some during games.  They substitute wildly the RBs and WRs and yet expect the big guys to play entire games practically.   
Linemen must be built with time and S&C. That has just not happened yet.  Some improvement- yes - but still a ways to go.  Frost must know this. Austin was well aware. Why it wasn’t done?  Who knows I guess but until we get the line of scrimmage under control, losses with continue indefinitely. 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, The Dude said:

Last year was the first time I ever heard of Nebraska playing 2-hand touch for the spring game.  What other years in the last 15 did it happen?

2014, 2016 and 2020.  Purdue did the same kind of scoring for their Spring Game this year. It's becoming a lot more common. 

On 4/9/2022 at 2:25 PM, The Dude said:

So are we to understand, that in year 5, we don't even have enough depth to run a scrimmage?

Excellent. 

I misread this not once, but twice. I thought you were talking about the modified offense/defense scoring system. 

That's my bad. I'll shut up now. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You continue to make stuff up that apparently sounds good to you but has no basis in reality.

Alabama has 16 OL on the roster.  Ohio State has 18.  There is no reason to have 30.  You can't possibly get reps for a six-deep so it would be pointless.

I took 84HuskerLaw comments as more of the "5-6 good OL" short in terms of out of 16-18 OL you would have.  I recall from a previous conversation with you about my negative view of the OL a year or so ago and you stated that "BIGRREDN has a sky is falling" view as it related to the OL.  I probably did/do.  I agree with you Mavric that having 30 OL isn't practical.  The "rub" is that we can't seem to match yet anywhere near the quality of OL needed, nor really develop them.  In that sense, how I took 84HuskerLaw's comment was a sort of ... "to match watch others are doing we will need to add more OL."  In other words, to get the 16-18 that say an OSU has, we might need to have 30 OL we are working with.  I agree though, that just wouldn't be feasible.  

For me, I would like to see us taking an extra DL and OL every year that what is perceived as needed so we see these two areas as the strength of the team [eventually and hopefully].  Sadly, we can't seem to recruit any studs in this area anymore ... everyone has to be a project.  This is why I still don't see Nebraska as getting back to respectability because these two most important areas are still the slowest developed it seems.  My fear is that the easy schedule will show "respectability" when the reality is that those two areas still are not fixed.  It appears that we are still two years away from those spots having full development as to truly evaluate.  I just think that there has been more misses on both recruiting and development and so we aren't going to see any sort of "pipeline" feel to what's been established.  

Hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

You continue to make stuff up that apparently sounds good to you but has no basis in reality.

Alabama has 16 OL on the roster.  Ohio State has 18.  There is no reason to have 30.  You can't possibly get reps for a six-deep so it would be pointless.

BS.   I never made up anything.  Bama has about the same roster size of 150 ish as Frost.  I don’t care if it takes 40 on the lines, you keep taking until we have at least 15 who can play.  Right now it appears we have maybe 7 or 8!   The lines come first. Period.  Frost has about 7 QBs.  Why?  He won’t play more than 3 in all likelihood.  

• Fire 1