Spring Game - April 9th @ 1:00

Mavric

8 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'll put this here since he was talking about the spring game.  Adam Carriker says Fidone is supposed to be back for Summer conditioning.  That would rule out torn ACL.  

When asked directly about Fidone on the presser frost really didn’t want to dive in on that one that he will be back for summer conditioning. Call me skeptical he makes it back for summer conditioning. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Decked said:

When asked directly about Fidone on the presser frost really didn’t want to dive in on that one that he will be back for summer conditioning. Call me skeptical he makes it back for summer conditioning. 

maybe he will be doing more "rehab" than conditioning.  from what I've experience rehab conditioning was worse than team conditioning.  But if he is supposed to be back for summer than you would think he would be ready to go by fall.  I think thats good for him.  I don't know if I care either way because the TE's didn't look bad on saturday and I've never seen Fidone play live snaps at Nebraska.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Decked said:

I don't want to parse things too much.  But Frost usually hasn't been shy about saying when guys have a season-ending type/extended duration injury, such as an ACL.  When he doesn't want to say anything is when it's something more shorter-term, even if that is a couple months.  He's never said Fidone has a longer-term type injury and there haven't been any indications of a major surgery so that makes me think it's something less than a blown-out knee.  I don't know what the actual time-frame is but it seems to me like they're at least somewhat hopeful that he'll be going by fall.

• Plus1 4

The starting line will be fine IMO once Teddy and Turner return. Overall the depth isn't the best so a few extra bodies couldn't hurt. There will be some kids hitting the portal soon. Voke will basically be an extra blocker many times on run downs which will also help. 

The spring game was so worthless it was hard to get a good read on anything - also the coaches didn't show any new offense that we will see come fall. Get Mathis and we have a good front 7 to compete. The DBs will be the question mark this year on the defense, but being in the B10 West that is my least concern. 

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The starting line will be fine IMO once Teddy and Turner return. Overall the depth isn't the best so a few extra bodies couldn't hurt. There will be some kids hitting the portal soon. Voke will basically be an extra blocker many times on run downs which will also help. 

The spring game was so worthless it was hard to get a good read on anything - also the coaches didn't show any new offense that we will see come fall. Get Mathis and we have a good front 7 to compete. The DBs will be the question mark this year on the defense, but being in the B10 West that is my least concern. 

Now that he knows what he has, Coach Raiola now has a chance to earn his salary....

The one caveat for me remains that I don't think S&C is doing him any favours.  It seems like the longer the kids are in the program, the slower their feet.  As such, I hope Coach Frost provides him with the ability to make changes to the S&C Program for his guys as he determines is necessary.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

Now that he knows what he has, Coach Raiola now has a chance to earn his salary....

The one caveat for me remains that I don't think S&C is doing him any favours.  It seems like the longer the kids are in the program, the slower their feet.  As such, I hope Coach Frost provides him with the ability to make changes to the S&C Program for his guys as he determines is necessary.  

We got a little bigger, but also slower I agree. Also I've noted many times all the injuries we've had. 

I thought the interior of our offensive line was fine after we switched to Nouili last season and it seemed fine in the spring game. The two tackles got abused on the edge Saturday but those two guys hopefully will not be seeing the field much when Corcoran and Prochazka get back, so I don't think this should be setting off warning bells to put 40 offensive linemen on our roster or whatever. If Corcoran and Prochazka had gotten whipped all day I'd feel a lot more worried.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I would say our spring game offense was like 70 percent pure Whipple stuff from Pitt and 30 percent Frost stuff from last year. I don't know what "new offense" stuff people think we didn't run. It was base concepts and not designer plays but no one runs designer stuff in a scrimmage.

59 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I would say our spring game offense was like 70 percent pure Whipple stuff from Pitt and 30 percent Frost stuff from last year. I don't know what "new offense" stuff people think we didn't run. It was base concepts and not designer plays but no one runs designer stuff in a scrimmage.

They didn’t show hardly anything as far as the offense. They just ran very basic plays that probably 90% of programs run. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

They didn’t show hardly anything as far as the offense. They just ran very basic plays that probably 90% of programs run. 

This has been my complaint for years.  Practice, practice, practice......I don't think letting guys practice our scheme will really help opposing DC's.  We need all the reps we can get.  I also used to watch the spring games and then the early games and always believed the whole " not showing what we have" and quickly realized what we were seeing is what we were.  

• Plus1 2