Spring Game - April 9th @ 1:00

Mavric

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

They didn’t show hardly anything as far as the offense. They just ran very basic plays that probably 90% of programs run. 

I saw Whipple staple concepts we didn't run much of last year like Levels, Shallow Cross and Drive mixed in with a little bit of the option stuff we ran last year. I also saw his main formations like trey and spread flex and that weird tackle over thing. There was plenty of new stuff we were doing.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

This has been my complaint for years.  Practice, practice, practice......I don't think letting guys practice our scheme will really help opposing DC's.  We need all the reps we can get.  I also used to watch the spring games and then the early games and always believed the whole " not showing what we have" and quickly realized what we were seeing is what we were.  

I mean ... most coaches are pretty paranoid.  Lots of them do stuff like this.

But if we are really that worried about showing too much when we open the season with a team we beat by 49 last year and two lower-tier teams, we probably have way more to worry about than showing to much of our offense.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

This has been my complaint for years.  Practice, practice, practice......I don't think letting guys practice our scheme will really help opposing DC's.  We need all the reps we can get.  I also used to watch the spring games and then the early games and always believed the whole " not showing what we have" and quickly realized what we were seeing is what we were.  

It’s one practice. It’s not a big deal. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

But if we are really that worried about showing too much when we open the season with a team we beat by 49 last year and two lower-tier teams, we probably have way more to worry about than showing to much of our offense.

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It’s one practice. It’s not a big deal. 

I'm gun shy.  Have just heard for so long that when we were struggling we were "holding back", not wanting to show our hand and then heard Frost say vanilla....AAAGGGHHHH.   But I hear you both.  I'm sure missing multiple projected starters, not wanting to get anymore injuries and still installing the schemes, vanilla was a safe bet.  Two hand tough didn't help the O either.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I agree but when you look at how HCSF's teams have performed in season openers I think we need all the help we can get. They are 1-3 with the only win being a 14 point victory in 2019 over a Sun Belt conf. team that ended going 2-10 that year. Good thing we didn't open against a P5 team or any team that ended up with a winning record or we'd probably be 0-4 in season openers.

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...