Spring Game - April 9th @ 1:00

Mavric

7 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Not intending to be overly critical but I wouldn’t call this an example of a ‘great’ throw.  Double covered receiver down field far enough it could easily be an INT instead.   Plenty of time and strong wind situation.   High risk certainly.  
Casey T didn’t play much imo.  Not sure we should conclude he is 100% ready to be the star QB we are needing in August - but apparently the coaches see a lot in practices that we never will.  We need a QB who can and actually does throw and complete balls vs tight coverage so this could be a good sign frankly.  
Overall stats (which are not always reliable indicators that match up with the general eye test) suggest an improved run game emphasis.  Hard to tell with so much touch football and just offense vs defense format.  Defense held the offense to 43 in 120 snaps (about a game and a half equivalent roughly) so about 27 per game.  Defense seems to be finding enough to replace the roster losses.  
Wind was a real factor but it’s always a factor in the fall in a third of the games so teams have got to scheme for it.  Usually that suggests an ability to run the ball down the field by moving the chains and sustaining drives ‘the old fashioned way’.  We did that somewhat in the second half.  
All of this - apparently- without showing/using the real offense we are told.  Ultimately, as expected, hard to confidently say much at all - good or bad or indifferent- about the team and it’s prospects for the fall.   Overall, my impression could be summarized as cautiously disappointed, reflecting my diehard Husker hopes for something better in the future colliding with reality.  Lol.  

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not intending to be overly critical but I wouldn’t call this an example of a ‘great’ throw.  Double covered receiver down field far enough it could easily be an INT instead.   Plenty of time and strong wind situation.   High risk certainly.  
Casey T didn’t play much imo.  Not sure we should conclude he is 100% ready to be the star QB we are needing in August - but apparently the coaches see a lot in practices that we never will.  We need a QB who can and actually does throw and complete balls vs tight coverage so this could be a good sign frankly.  
Overall stats (which are not always reliable indicators that match up with the general eye test) suggest an improved run game emphasis.  Hard to tell with so much touch football and just offense vs defense format.  Defense held the offense to 43 in 120 snaps (about a game and a half equivalent roughly) so about 27 per game.  Defense seems to be finding enough to replace the roster losses.  
Wind was a real factor but it’s always a factor in the fall in a third of the games so teams have got to scheme for it.  Usually that suggests an ability to run the ball down the field by moving the chains and sustaining drives ‘the old fashioned way’.  We did that somewhat in the second half.  
All of this - apparently- without showing/using the real offense we are told.  Ultimately, as expected, hard to confidently say much at all - good or bad or indifferent- about the team and it’s prospects for the fall.   Overall, my impression could be summarized as cautiously disappointed, reflecting my diehard Husker hopes for something better in the future colliding with reality.  Lol.  

No reason to work so hard to try to form conclusions on anything anyone saw yesterday. 

And, about the throw.  That’s a throw that good QBs throw many times. It’s put in a place the WR can go get it and it’s away from the coverage. If he didn’t catch it, it was probably going out of bounds. That’s what made it a great throw. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

My spring game day.

8:30 meet out at my friends, 3 of us have a quick driveway beer and then we are off!

Tall boys in car on the way to Lincoln, parked and walking by 10am.

Sandy's (bouncer is a former student and we chat for a second) and then a pitcher of Elk Creek.  Then off to Duffy's, started to get crowded with a lot of people that were clearly reliving the old days, like we were.

Next stop, the Rail, good fun but no crowd.  Some dude running for some office was there trying to get us to register and vote, I quickly spouted off somee HB political takes and grabbed my beer.  Then off to 1867, dead.

Then off to Barry's, how that place would ever not make money is something I can't grasp.  Also, if you have a daughter at UNL, she dresses like all her clothes were shrunk in the dryer and she is wasted.

Off to the game, club seats, really nice but the game was lame.  Left after 20 minutes and...

Hit up Rosies, nice place and nice crowd.  Left and hit up The Bar The Bar, dead at first and then packed by 330ish, college kids enjoying the weather and drinking, made me miss college.

• Oh Yeah! 1

Just in terms of the OL....

The most important lesson learned may be that Banks needs to spend less time on maxing out his squat and more time with a skipping rope working on quick twitch development in his lower body to improve his lateral movement. 

Exponentially better to learn that in Spring and have Summer S&C to make adjustments, than need to drop him into a B1G regular season game to learn that lesson the hard way when it really counts.  

4 minutes ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

Just in terms of the OL....

The most important lesson learned may be that Banks needs to spend less time on maxing out his squat and more time with a skipping rope working on quick twitch development in his lower body to improve his lateral movement. 

Exponentially better to learn that in Spring and have Summer S&C to make adjustments, than need to drop him into a B1G regular season game to learn that lesson the hard way when it really counts.  

Yea he got whooped. I had heard a while ago if Ezra Miller would never see the field here and I’d say that was correct. He got flat embarrassed by Jimari Butler. I’m guessing Corcoran would move back to LT in any case that Teddy was out, we have no one else. Side note, did Hunter Anthony play yesterday?

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Farms said:

Yea he got whooped. I had heard a while ago if Ezra Miller would never see the field here and I’d say that was correct. He got flat embarrassed by Jimari Butler. I’m guessing Corcoran would move back to LT in any case that Teddy was out, we have no one else. Side note, did Hunter Anthony play yesterday?

Anthony played RT with the number two unit 

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, about the throw.  That’s a throw that good QBs throw many times. It’s put in a place the WR can go get it and it’s away from the coverage. If he didn’t catch it, it was probably going out of bounds. That’s what made it a great throw. 

You 'member a few months ago when people were b!^@hing that Adrian never threw 50/50 balls and let his receivers make plays like that? I 'member.

• Plus1 1